Give Captain/HoS an Energy gun again

What I ask is for HoS and Cap to not spawn with a PTSD, and back to having an egun for the following reasons :

• Captain has the goddamn NUKE DISK. The single, most important item on the station, spelling doom for either the crew or Centcom if it fell in the wrong hands. The PTSD is outright worthless for self defence in the case of a surprise nukie attack - How could centcom think it acceptable to leave the captain near defenseless ???

• Even without considering nukies or any catastrophic event, the captain is the most important person on the station, PERIOD. He leads every department head, and, by chain of command, EVERY CREWMEMBER. He holds several high value item on himself at all times, and is thus the main target of most, if not all antagonists. How is it even slightly acceptable for him to wait before being able to defend himself ?

• The HoS already spawns with the equivalent of an egun he is allowed to carry at all times - and he is objectively less important than the captain. Why is the captain not even allowed to have a similar gun, consisering the antique is for emergencies only ?

• An egun holds a lot of bullets for non lethally disabling anyone who may be attacking the captain or the HoS, while allowing lethal self-defense in case of an emergency. Considering the previous points, it is a perfect fit for both.

• Regarding the HoS, he is the first line of defense in regards to protecting the crew, and the second highest value target on board, only below the captain - having the ability to track the nuke disk. The PTSD is laughably useless, to the point it is chucked by most HoS at roundstart. Why would the HoS not be allowed to have an extra weapon even on green, arguably being in more danger than the cap even on green, possibly being jumped at anytime while investigating/patroling (and thus, being the most exposed) ?

It just seems nonsensical to me to have made this change. Trying to impose Ruko’s shitty gun with a tasteless name, for the purpose of INCREASING THE SELF DEFENSE CAPABILITIES OF EVERY HEAD, only nerfed said self-defence abilities of the captain and HoS - which goes completely against the purpose of that PR. Why is this even a thing ?

It’s just been bugging me for a while, and I wanted to see if anyone thinks the same, to possibly sway the staff team into bringing back the previous situation of cap and HoS having ak egun.

2 Likes

HoS is allowed to carry around his unique lasgun and as for the Captain… do we really wanna encourage Capcurity?

2 Likes

Sounds to me like you want to implement blue guards. Am I right?

1 Like

This is a literal non-issue and completely ignores every single point I made.
Ban capcurity, simple enough - despite all that, the captain is MORE IMPORTANT than the HoS and holds several extremely important items, yet is not even allowed to have an egun - that makes literally 0 sense.

I sincerely hate that argument. It just goes against all lore and logic just to go “lol it allows to break the rules”
The same could be said for the PTSD being given to all other heads - yet most heads do not play sec with it, and the ones that do get beaned. How would it be different for cap?

1 Like

It is true that mechanically captain should be the hardest role to be killed in the game, closely followed by HOS. But the sabre, armored clothing, SWATsuit, jetpack and (if it’s an emergency) the antique kind of negate the problem you’re talking about.

3 Likes

Cap already has top tier level of loot, Saber has insane block chance (you could probably 2v1 lings (armblades) if both sides just stood still and hit each other), antique is straight up the best non admin laser in the game (it’s a smaller laser gun that recharges and does more damage per shot) and captains carapace has better armour than ash drake (outside fire), captains hardsuit is straight up a reskinned ert suit, hand Tele is a free teleport into safety.

Does cap really need more, he is already a raid boss in terms of sheer loot. All the energy gun would do help with is non lethal take downs, which captains aren’t supposed to deal with anyways (also if you really want to just raid the armour…)

All or those only available in case the alert is raised, at least red unless the captain’s life is directly in danger
They offer only protection after the fact, not before - they are not preventive, and the only preventive option a cap has is armored clothing, a LETHAL MELEE WEAPON and a shitty ptsd. No ranged option.

I don’t understand why everyone always assume the captain will be fully geared with antique/swatsuit in face of any threat, completely dismissing that most threats could jump him before anyone even know of their existence/before the cap is allowed to defend himself.

Like, if the cap can grab the antique gun, he can also directly go to the armory and grab an egun - this is a non sequitur, and has nothing to do with everything I said, which is that cap needs an egun to defend himself in case of a surprise attack.

He has no non-lethal option, no ranged option, and as far as the rules go, if he takes the antique before a red alert/attempt on his life, he’s getting bwoinked and beaned for powergaming.

the removal of arms is technically non-lethal

the removal of legs is also technically non lethal, but I see the merits for that over legs too.

1 Like

on one hand, yes the PTSD is tastelessly named and has a pittance of a magazine count.

on the other hand it fits in your pockets. (fellow hos players, ditch the flash or bola, put the holdout pistol in your pocket) and does have a self recharging magazine, the disabler round cappacity is servicable and pretty good if you can pace and lead your shots.

The weapon shouldn’t be used to win fights in crazy scenarios. it should be used In lethal mode in the event of an assault on your person and be used in disabler mode by any and all command staff like a disabler to just shoo pests away, OR in the case of HoS yeah, you can use it as a disabler you don’t have to worry about recharging to bag some petty criminal if you want to save your Multi-phase’s charge.

TL:DR, When people start fucking around with you, set your smol gun to “find out” mode.
avoid using the disable mode to defend yourself, that mode is more for the aprehension of criminals and mild disciplining of clowns unruly tresspassers.

I think you, and a ton of people here, are severely overestimating the capability of the PTSD. I’ve not seen a single HoS or cap worth a damn use the thing, except cap on green until he is allowed by the rules to grab an egun

So you want the cap to win most surprise ambushes? Also it being locked blue does almost nothing since even the slightest activity means instant blue and gearing up, unless you are like the very first antag to do anything.

It’s… the captain. That’s like saying “Oh, you gave the hos a special gun with lethal ammo, so you want the HoS to win most surprise ambushes ?”

Like, yeah, no shit, the guy holding the nuke disk should not be a pushover?

If you gear up on blue with weapons like an egun, you are powergaming according to the rules. Handing out of weapons is only done in red alert or if you’re a head/sec and there’s been an attempt on your life.

Genuinely, giving cap a disabler instead of a PTSD would be a better option at this point, since the PTSD isn’t worth shit

Again, I still don’t understand why there’s all this argument about it “encouraging capcurity” and “being too strong”
The cap already had an egun before the PTSD was introduced, and none of the problems everyone here keeps saying would happen if ever this daring suggestion were to be implemented
Were in fact already dealt with properly, in game or by admins, without much issue.

Don’t forget the hand teleporter too!

1 Like

Sorry, but no. The PTSD has more than proven its worth by this point, and it is not only powerful, but exactly as powerful as it needs to be in order to fullfil its job of self-defense.

PTSD capabilities:

• 120 burst damage when set to lethal
  • 336 stamina damage when set to disable
  • Recharges on its own just like cap’s antique so it can continue to periodically provide ranged pressure even after the initial burst.

That is more than enough firepower to:

• Stamcrit at least two people
  • Severely injure any single opponent, even if two thirds of your shots miss.
  • Keep someone at bay while you reposition in order to run away.

Of course the PTSD is worse than the most powerful gun available in the armory, but it is not anywhere near as bad as you’re trying to claim it is unless your aim is so atrocious you may as well not be using ranged weapons anyway.

Because it did happen and it was intentionally taken away as a reduction to the captain’s roundstart capabilities

3 Likes

Your point is that the captain’s too weak against lethal encounters so the sword being a lethal melee weapon only isn’t that bad.

If the situation doesn’t justify the use of the sword then it is security’s job, not captain’s. And if it’s too minor for security to intervene, then the PTSD, due to it’s small mag, is perfect to handle the problem since it’s THAT minor of a problem.

2 Likes

I genuinely do not comprehend, I feel you completely misunderstood my point

A melee weapon is not viable against a funky nukie with a bulldog. No matter how much you may want to claim so.

Cap can very easily be isolated, even without playing capcurity, and forced to fight for his life - and the sabre isn’t a one hit win button, especially against ranged attacks that the captain can’t fight back against

Are you telling me the number of capcurities reduced because you removed the egun ? That somehow the captains who really wanna chase the antags wouldn’t just find any reason to raise the alert and grab themselves any weapon to hunt ?

Like, that’s just blatantly untrue - having an egun meant the cap was more powerful, sure, but that did not suddenly entice caps to be capcurity

Not if said opponent has any sort of armor. If you fight a grey, sure, your PTSD on lethal’s slightly good, if you fight anyone else you’re fucked.

It’s annoying how every single point I made in the original post at the start is entirely dismissed because “lol it entices to break the rules” and “lol ptsd good akshually”

The fact that the captain has less ability to defend himself than the HoS in case of a surprise attack, despite his insanely important role aboard the station due to holding at least 4 different high risk items at all times, is just frankly stupid

Thus far your only major points I’m seeing so far are:

• You’re upset by the notion the HoS has a more powerful roundstart loadout and think it doesn’t make sense
  • You’re upset the captain can’t expect to outright win a 1v1 with nukies in his greenshift loadout

And we, literally all 100% of us who have responded so far at least, disagree with you for many listed reasons you have chosen to ignore or dismiss. It’s not that we aren’t seeing what you’re saying or the points you’re trying to make, we just disagree with them.

“The captain should be the most powerful person on the station” is at least worth debating. I disagree, but I can at least see where the argument is coming from. I think the HoS, the person actually in charge of defense of the station should be and he rightfully is. The captain is a close second and I agree with everyone else that he is plenty strong enough as is despite being outclassed in ranged capability by the HoS.

However, the notion that the captain should be so well equipped at the start of the round that he can not only readily hold his ground, but win against decked out nukies that surprise him on green alert is absolutely absurd. It’s bonkers, batshit crazy, and totally completely insane to even think this should be the case or that this would be fair for any other antagonist that might have to face the captain.

And one final note:

I think you meant to say “Antagonist objective”, and I’m pretty sure you’re dipping fairly hard into metagaming if you think captains need to go out of their way to pick up and protect four items. The only high-risk item the captain is expected to directly protect in any capacity is the nuclear disk, which he is allowed to entrust to others such as the HoS.
I’m going to go out on a limb here and take some guesses at the other three you’re talking about are, and why they aren’t something the captain is expected to keep on himself at all times:

• Hand teleporter - There’s not anything anywhere that says you need to pick this up to guard it, and there’s little reason to do so unless you’re actively making use of it or just going out of your way to force potential antagonists to confront you. It’s WAY more interesting to leave it where it is, keep tabs on it and have security go on a hunt for it if/when it goes missing.

• Captain’s Medal - This isn’t even a “high risk” item in any sense - it’s a god damn medal, and there is even a spare on your desk so unless you’ve taken both there’s not any reason an antagonist has to target you.

• Captain’s Jetpack - Again, this isn’t a high risk item, and it’s certainly not something you’re supposed to carry around at all times. Hell, the captain shouldn’t even be leaving the station except in emergencies so one could argue that the captain should almost never have this equipped.

• Antique Laser - The gun is intended as a trophy/display case item, not to be at the captain’s side at all times. It was forcibly locked in its case and reduced in power to better represent this intention, and should only be taken during emergencies because who reaches for an antique instead of a modern armory gun that is better?

Insane strawmans in your post right there. I’m going to sleep and will answer tomorrow, but man, it’s insane how everything I say suddenly gets misinterpreted into “lol howl mad he can’t win every combat as cap L L L skill issue loser”

Yes, strawmans indeed. Definitely not exact points you have made.

Your complaints have all boiled down to “the captain isn’t strong enough” and these are the only two things you’ve compared him to, specifically complaining these are the things he isn’t stronger than. That implies you think he should be stronger than them to any normal, sane person.

You need to read through this thread with an open mind and actually listen to what others are saying before you accuse them of not listening. If you can’t listen yourself, you need to stop arguing. What you’re doing here is bordering on gaslighting.

Don’t waste your time on a reply to me on this topic, save it for someone else who gets involved with it because I’m done trying with this post.