GaySatan Moderator Application :^)

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):

GaySatan. And GayerSatan for testing/learning things by myself.

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):

GaySatan#3388

How often are you online to help? (Timezone):

CST. usually i’m around in the mornings / nights. Anywhere from 6 am - 12, to 8pm - 1am. My schedule is not predictable in any way because of some not fun chronic illness stuff, but generally I’m usually on for at least one to two shifts a day at minimum.

What changes, if any, would you bring?:

I’d really like to see some more chat moderation in ooc chats. See a lot of rude stuff said in ooc or ghost or looc that just. Isn’t conducive to fun player to player interaction and usually isn’t commented on (probably due to staff shortages i imagine) I’d also like to see maybe some more active admining aka round observing to make sure newer players are conducting themselves in a way that’s. not terrible. (again i imagine this has more to do with staff shortages then actual staff)

How old are you?:

Why do you want to be a moderator?:

Hmm, There’s a couple reasons. Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of iffy player behavior and the lack of admins / mods available to deal with it seems to be leading to an increase in it. I have the time and the ability and the know how to do the work, and I like playing on bee, so I might as well. I’m also just sort’ve, hm. Having a lot of chronic pain in my life right now is making doing kind of anything productive pretty difficult for me, and I think I’d like the ability to do some work that I’m physically able to do and that I’m interested in.

How long have you been playing SS13?:

short answer? Too long. Long answer? I don’t even know anymore. I think I started playing around 2012? It was back when like- all the servers were still using teamspeak because discord wasn’t a thing yet. my god what a time that was. Miss the days of massive cuban pete style bombs that just absolutely demolished the station. Also that’s a joke i literally don’t miss that at all.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:

year wise i’m not sure covid has killed my sense of time. Hour wise living: 328 hours, Ghost: 34 hours. Unfortunately most of these are in cmo, cringe i know.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:

8, i’m incredibly unrobust, and atmos still eludes me (curse you toxin bombs and gas piping!!!) But I would say pretty confidently I know my stuff in everything else, though there’s always room for improvement, and every now and then I do forget something really obvious in the middle of the round.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games):

ss13 wise specifically i would say like a 3. I’ve messed around with admin tools before on private servers while testing stuff but honestly they are so confusing and all of the menus so hard to read I always avoided learning. Willing to learn so long as someone is willing to explain it to me this time. pretty fresh faced though a blank slate some might say.

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13:

Definitely have admined for minecraft servers back in highschool but that of course was. A hot mess because I was a highschooler doing admin stuff so, no not really.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:

Yeah as stated above it’s gayersatan. I really have only ever used it for testing in private servers when I’m trying to figure something weirdly specific out. Forget I have it half the time.

Your strengths:

Generally I would say I’m a pretty level headed person. If someone is making me mad or causing an issue for me I’m good at taking a step back, taking a breather and going “it’s fine” and then either changing the subject or carrying on like nothing has happened, especially when they’re not doing it on purpose. I’d say I’m also pretty good at dealing with people who are angry or acting as a mediator between angry people. If someone were to say start being rude to me in an ahelp about something that upset them that happened in game, i would probably let them know i understand why they’re upset but that i can’t assist them if they’re going to be outwardly rude to me. So Having boundaries about what is acceptable staff to player interaction I guess also.

Your weaknesses:

Gonna be for real - my bee hours specifically are lacking. If i could include hours from other servers the total would probably be in the thousands but! That’s okay. Even if I could, my hours in antag and security would still be incredibly low. I’m not a fan of combat in ss13 so I avoid those roles. Also My health is definitely poor right now which might make it hard for me to put in a LOT of hours towards moderation but i’d still like to try. Other than that sometimes in peak server hours it’s a little difficult for me to keep up with and read chat (curse you adhd!!!) but usually if i go back and reread it or double check i’m okay. It just means that sometimes it might take me some time to see a part of a chatlog or read through an entire conversation.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:

Direct verbal attacks against me. Trans/homophobia. It makes me pretty mad when someone calls me bad at my job for not doing something I’m actually in the middle of doing. And I don’t like having to repeat myself because someone is talking over me or ignoring what I have to say, especially if I am explaining something to them and they are insisting I am wrong because they know more than me and are clearly not listening to a single thing i’m telling them.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:

Kindness, Clarity, a willingness to listen, and the ability to admit when you’ve made a mistake and it needs to be fixed. Also a strong understanding of the rules and how players should treat each other.

What makes a staff team good?:

The ability to work together, stay professional when dealing with players, and probably an enjoyment for the game and all its weird little mechanics, aka overall wide game AND rule knowledge. Also definitely a unified idea of how players should act + Treat each other.

What is a staff team’s purpose?:

To ensure a round is fun, productive, and that players are treating each other with respect while following the rules of the game. Also to, of course, hold the ban hammer at the ready for more bible chatbots as is my right.

What kind of player are you?:

I play exclusively head roles most of the time. I like playing the manager that wants my staff to be productive while also balancing their ability to have a good time. Sometimes that means as cmo that i have to tell the chemist that no he cannot make a meth lab, and sometimes that means as cmo when the clown who changed careers to med doctor asks me if they can make an sm engine in medical storage because he wants to know if he can telling them no, but that they can do it in maint if they follow proper safety protocols and ask the cap for permission first. I want the people who interact with me to have fun, but I also want them to follow the rules of the game to a degree so that the other people playing with them can have fun. Sometimes that means being a head of staff who has to demote geneticist for random gene injecting people without saying a single word to them, and sometimes that means sticking the entire station budget in a box and handing it to the qm for safekeeping while there are pirates trying to steal it. There are fun solutions to all sorts of problems in ss13 and that’s why i like it. If I can “Yes And” something I will, but I’m also very clear on where the line of “this may be funny but it could also ruin someone else’s shift” is. And I have no problem enforcing that as a head of staff.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:

I Think i’ll probably accrue a lot more ghost hours for one. I also think I’ll be able to foster a more positive environment between players. Hopefully. I’ll probably also have to stop playing head of staff as much which is a little sad, but i’ve been meaning to branch out more anyway so might as well start now.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:

First things first. Did the HOS ahelp about it? If he didn’t he probably thought this was a fair interaction. It would change how I approach this situation if he has or has not. Definitely still speaking to the clown and checking his notes either way, and also checking to see if the gun was an antag objective that round. If it was, (and if i can do this as a moderator.) I would probably Teleport it back into security, and ping the hos to let him know where it is. If the clown has no notes, and the HOS didn’t ahelp about it, Would probably just ping the clown to ask why he spaced the gun, To inform him for future reference that the gun is an antag objective and to ask him to please avoid spacing it or otherwise removing it from the station in the future. If the HOS has ahelped about this, then I would speak to both of them. Listen to what hos has to say about the situation and then ask the clown why he did what he did. Depending on his reasoning I would still inform him that the gun is an objective and to please not space it in the future, and then either provide a note if the reasoning was not sound or seemed a little to lrp, or otherwise just mark it as an ic issue if it seemed like it happened because of a roleplay interaction.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:

Ping him immediately and ask for his reasoning behind this. There of course - really isn’t a good reason for this behavior, it’s self antaging and griefing, but I think it’s reasonable to give someone a chance to respond or provide whatever their idea or reasoning is. The severity of the ban is most likely going to depend on how they interact with me through this ahelp, but I would probably also still ask other more senior admins about how to deal with this. Personally I would either give them a permanent until vouch ban or just perma ban them depending on if they seem like a serial griefer / someone who is just avoiding a current ban to grief or someone who is new to the game and just has no idea that there are like. rules.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:

Ah i’ve seen this so much as cmo sighs. check notes, check antag status, and check what he was making in the machine in the first place. (especially if someone ahelps it) Either way this was MOST likely an accident so if they’re newish, speak to them about what happened. Ask what they were making, and if they know what went wrong. Explain to them how / where they messed up if I can, and provide them some tips on safely making more dangerous chemicals. If they blew themselves up while making meth for no good reason, or some other dangerous harmful drug as non antag, definitely ask for their reasoning behind making it and then let them know why that was a bad idea. Probably inform them of the sop for making chems like that, and maybe add a note for making dangerous chems / being negligent as chem depending on how completely baby fresh they are. If they have notes for blowing up chem previously while making dangerous chems and it seems like they’ve maybe done this a couple times now, probably job ban them from chemistry/medical for a bit. Probably a couple days? There’s only so many times someone can blow up chem before it stops lookin’ like an accident.

Chemistry is pretty easy to cause an explosion if you’re goofing off and you don’t know what you’re doing, but no one else got hurt, and the damage is repairable, so it’s not grief or anything, just a bit of mistake or negligence on a player’s behalf. Maybe suggest cmo demote or babysit them if they were making meth and exploded themselves, and they have like no hours on bee and seem kinda new, generally most likely an ic issue though, might just need some help learning da ropes. Just tell them to be more careful / how to be more careful next time.

3 Likes

Questions all revolving around the same scenario:

• You receive an ahelp from a mime claiming “I was killed and gibbed by the cook for no reason”. You look at the logs and see an almost entirely one-sided exchange that shows the cook attacking and killing the mime in the kitchen and then gibbing the mime afterwards, and the mime seems to put up no resistance at all. When you bwoink the cook they claim that the mime asked to be turned into food for the station via a piece of paper, but the cook has no clue where the paper is now. You cannot find the supposed paper to see what is written on it yourself:
  1. You are too inexperienced to find any further information than is presented above and there is no response from other admins on discord. What rules, if any, do you believe were broken and how do you proceed?

2. You receive a response telling you that there is no logging for what is written on paper and there is no way for you to prove who is telling the truth. It’s dangerous to divulge the information that certain actions aren’t logged due to potential abuses - How do you handle the situation with this information, is it any different than the first?

3. You are told what logs to check for what has been written on papers and find that nobody has written anything on paper so far in the current round. Who is at fault for what and how do you proceed?

4. You are told what logs to check for what has been written on papers and find that the mime has, in fact, requested to be turned into burgers via a piece of paper. Who is at fault for what and how do you proceed?

3 Likes

ough swinging right out the gate alrighty.

1. first things first. chef is breaking sop here either way. Really should never kill another player especially an alive not ssd (shouldn’t gibb ssd players for food either but that’s a different convo) player for food purposes pretty much ever, and the mime’s lack of response in general during the entire interaction makes me lean towards R1. Even IF the mime asked chef to gibb him for food which i cannot tell at this point, there is no IC reason for him to agree to this, especially without first at least asking a head of staff. I have no proof the mime has done anything at this point except not roleplay with the chef while chef is killing him. and while that’s a little weird and doesn’t make MUCH sense because most people are gonna defend themselves in character while being attacked and murdered there’s always the chance he may have been ssd for that moment in time. I would probably ask the mime if he did this because obviously - one of them is lying to me in this situation which constitutes another R4 rulebreak and i lack the experience to prove it who it is currently. if the clown did in fact Not get a request from the mime this is also of course self antaging R9. I’m going to assume the mime is going to tell me he did no such thing. IF upon checking notes for both players i see they both have nothing against them yet i would probably let the mime know that i believe him for now, but if later it is found out he was lying he may face consquences. Then i would probably let the chef know that he cannot gibb crew members. it is against R1 and could be considered against R9 also in this situation and also an R7 break too specifically the “be excellent to eachother” and “use common sense”. considering in this scenario i’m assuming there’s no notes and no prev bans for either players - i would give the chef a note and let him know that in the future if someone wants to be made into food he should never be the one killing them, and that he may want to read over the rules and sop again, and then let sec deal with the ic consequences for that round / see what i can do about getting the mime back in. also let chef know if he disagrees with the note he can make a post on the forums about it and hopefully a more experienced admin will be able to look into it more indepth at that point.

2. I would honestly probably still deal with it the same way. There’s no reason for me to tell either of them i can’t prove who is and isn’t lying to me. if there’s a way to leave admin only??? admin notes? i would probably leave one about the mime maybe ban baiting incase he does behavior like this again in the future, and it’s relation to the chefs note.

3. Assuming this is again, fresh no notes no ban players, i wouldn’t warn the mime about lying to me, and would instead dish out a ban to the chef for R1,R4, R7, and R9. Would let him know lying in ahelps is also against the rules. and that he definitely needs to re read them before coming back to bee. Would probably ask a more senior admin to look it over again whenever they have a chance to maybe give a more severe ban then i can give as a mod because lying to me about breaking the rules lets me know he knew he was breakin’ em and decided to do it anyway. Chef is of course at fault here.

4. Mime’s at fault in this one, and is definitely trying to ban bait the chef. still going to let the chef know that we probably shouldn’t murder and gibb alive not ssd crew members for this exact reason, and also it’s not very good roleplay, but would definitely then issue a ban to the mime for R4, and R7. let him know false reports and lying to an admin/mod are also against the rules. and again probably talk it over with a more senior admin when i get the chance. to see if they would like to raise it to a higher ban or perma ban considering i can’t do perma bans as a mod.

I’m not really sure how long a ban a moderator can make is? but the 3.chef seems more like a troll, and the 4.mime seems like someone who knows what they’re doing and is trying to cause issues for other players and admins on purpose. Both are not really players we want hanging around, but the chef is more likely to just be some brand new player who doesn’t know any better and like a couple day long ban might make them rethink how they play the game, while the mime knows what they’re doing and probably isn’t someone we want sticking around if they’re just going to cause more admin work and in round issues that are annoying and difficult to resolve.

3 Likes

Moderators can ban for literally infinite time given proper auth from fullmins while the mod is still in their trial period.

1 Like

Ah fun! Good to know then uvu.

1 Like

https://wiki.beestation13.com/view/Admin_Policy_%26_Conduct

Thanks! Though I did already have this open. It kinda sounds like the limit I can do is a three day ban but I’m not sure what suggested ban lengths are for certain rulebreaks /behaviors. Which is more along the lines of what I meant.

4 Likes

Can’t quite vote, but I like your answers so far as well as the main post itself. Hope the application goes well.

1 Like

Hello!

You’d be surprised how many people never ahelp, even if they were the victim!

Also, you should know that every time someone is warned about breaking the rules you should apply a note for record keeping.

Yes! if you aren’t sure how to deal with an issue, asking for help to the other staff members is always a good idea

If they aren’t a murderbone antagonist [Escalation Policy - BeeStation Wiki] (hijack, Die a glorious death, wizard, etc), then they are a griefer. in this case you should Ajail them and permaban.

For similar obvious griefs you are allowed to permanently ban them even as a moderator.

Overall I like the answers!

Yes, for a while your bans will be limited to a max of 3 days. But, if you ask for authorisation from any admin (and they accept) you will be able to give longer bans.

There really are no suggested ban length for specific offenses (except for griefing and evading - perma)

You will have to judge how serious the rule break was. Standard escalation should be:

Note → 1 day → 3 days → week → month → perma

If what the player did was an egregious rule break, then you may skip to a day, or more (especially for round-ruining mistakes, like releasing a virus that seriously injures people).

If you have any more questions, don’t be afraid to ask!

I’m unsure if @Ruko would like me to give some criticism based on the answer to their questions, so i’ll just ask a couple questions myself.

You receive the following ahelp.

“hello, Im a teratoma at syndicate outpost. My objective is to spread misery to the station… would it be cool if we found a way to send me to the station as a trojan horse? i have a disease”

A teratoma ahelped, they were spawned by the syndicate agents in the lavaland base (the ghost roles).

(you can see a disease’s symptoms in the logs).

How would you reply?

A (non-antag) virologist presents a virus to the CMO, telling them it’s a beneficial virus. The CMO (who later admits to not being very knowledgeable about viro) approves the virus for distribution without checking. It turns out, the virus was highly lethal due to the presence of macrophage (which was not neutralized). The virus ends up causing major chaos, and kills many crewmembers. The virologist later says in Dchat that it was a mistake.

They had no recent notes.

What would you do in this case? Who is to blame? Whis punishments would you issue?

While observing, you notice a player saying “WTFFFF???”. After checking their logs, you see many similar phrases: “ZAMN”, “TF???”.

They have one filter bypass note (for saying “G A M E R”) and another note for using abbreviation (“STFU” is cited)

After bwoinking it, they apologetically tell you they forgot about the warnings, and were not feeling good that day.

What would you do in this case? What actions would you take?

good luck with the rest of the questions! i’ll give my vote after you’ve replied to my questions :muscle: :muscle:

I ask questions to take some of the burden off of needing to come up with them, and leave the answers and details of those answers to be judged by staff.

henlo henlo :^)

1. My knowledge of lavaland syndicate agents in bee is lacking a bit because i really only play ghost roles on other ss13 servers, but it’s my understanding that they’re not supposed to seriously affect the ongoing round stationside, and are limited to being annoying, and bothering / being hostile towards nt miners and other lavaland spawns. So while this is a teratoma, it’s not a normally spawned in round one, and really has no reason to try and go station side outside of the objective all teratomas spawn with. Not to mention spreading a random or dangerous disease outside of a die a glorious death antag is a no no because you’re probably gonna kill a bunch of people or ruin a bunch of players rounds. so the answer is no. I’d let the player know i appreciate that they asked before doing it, and that the answer is no for the above reasons. Lavaland antags are meant to stay on lavaland, and teratomas shouldn’t be doing things that can massively affect the ongoing round / kill a large majority of the crew.

2. I would speak to the virologist and ask them if they know what they did wrong, make sure they understood their mistake and let them know how to NOT make a repeat of it and generally make sure they understand this was not a good play and they need to be more careful as viro in the future. I’m assuming they have no specific notes about virology, so give them a note about wiping out half the station and then also speak to the CMO. let them know that while I understand virology can be a little difficult to understand, as cmo it is their job to make sure their staff members aren’t releasing dangerous diseases to crew by having the knowledge to double check their work. Next time if they’re unsure they should either mentor help about it, ask over medical to see if there are any more experienced medical players who can look at it, or just tell the viro no. Even if it might be a good disease it’s okay to err on the side of caution because there is such a large consequence for small errors like this, and then also leave a note on their account about the hand they had in the outbreak.

3. I’d give them a 1 day ban for the net speak / lrp. Let them know i understand they might have been stressed out or having a bad day, but they’ve been warned twice previously about this exact behavior and that netspeak is still not allowed on beestation.

also thanks for letting me know about the note thing! i will remember that all rulebreaks need a note in the future. ;^)

1 Like

Sounds good. I would also add a note to the teratoma, that says they have been told how this is not allowed. Notes are for record keeping, and should be used when necessary, to keep track of what the players know.

A note is not enough. What they did had serious consequences, and that should be taken into account.
I would suggest a week-long ban. You cannot exactly know if they meant to do it or not, but what they did ruined the round for multiple people.
Slap on the wrist for similar offenses isn’t enough.
A few days long job-ban should be applied to the CMO too, they breached SOP (in a very serious way) after all.

[Department Standard Operating Procedure: Medical - BeeStation Wiki]

sounds good!

You seem to care about the community, and have put effort into the application. I’d like to see you as a moderator :muscle: :muscle: +1 from me
T:+1

1 Like

Solid app for me and good answers overall. The few issues can be covered in training.

You’ll be dealing with a lot of this. You’ll have to find a way to cope and to keep a healthy relationship with the game/adminning.

+1
T:+2

4 Likes

Enslave them to the admin team already
But okay 2 questions.

1. You notice a player apologizing in dchat for cloning the wizard by accident. By their story they where got told that had heretics and got handed the wiz head. Asuming it to be a cosplaying mime or clown.
    They have no relevant notes, what do you do if anything.

2. A traitor a helps that a dect trailing them unfairly. You jump to them and find them busting down a dorms wall on green alert. Their reason for this is " watching for erp" (tot was wearing a maid dress)
    Later the tot ahelps again as the dect has rushed onto the bridge where the tot was issuing a ultimatum to the captain
    The dect wordlessly shots the traitor into crit then to death.
    What do you do?

Good luck

hey! sorry to reply a week later i am not doing great physically right now and this got put a bit on my back burner but here we go!

1. i’m not really sure what i’d do here. probably ask a more senior admin and maybe leave a note. probably check to see if there actually is a wizard this round before doing anything, then ahelp the player to see ask about what they’re talking about in dead chat. As a medplayer i kinda know how ridiculously easy it is to accidently clone antags if people aren’t communicating with you well especially esspecially when it’s just a head.

2. Detective is supposed to investigating crimes that have happened already not snooping around dorms especially on green or shooting people to death. response to the first ahelp is : it’s green alert you are detective not a security member. please do your job as it is described and endeavor to roleplay with your fellow crewmates. there’s no in game reason to be breaking down walls in dorms right now and it’s not your job to look out for erp eitherway. and i’d probably add a note
    response to 2nd ahelp is probably more harsh considering i’ve already spoken to them this round. It sounds like they interrupted an actual moment of roleplay between this antag and the captain which isn’t really conductive to - you know roleplaying, and also they’re not a sec off and it’s not their job to be rushing into high clearence areas and taking pot shots. At this point i’d probably speak to a senior admin and maybe see about getting them a job ban for a day or two from security considering they don’t seem to want to roleplay and are heavily focused on “winning” against antags. Detective is a security role that is focused on roleplaying, not killing antags, or arresting them. it’s why they don’t have access to the normal sec gear in the first place. Actions like this might be slightly more understandable in rounds with little or no security but even then you have to roleplay and interrupting other players rp moments to shoot people isn’t conductive to that.

Thanks for everyone whose supported my app so far i appreciate it :^)

Secret notes exist.

Job bans are usually going to be longer than server bans since they don’t prevent the person from actually playing the game. It’s fairly uncommon to see a job ban for just a few days.

Somewhat unrelated but I disagree with the suggested duration. While releasing a dangerous virus is indeed a fairly large fuckup, intent matters a lot. At the end of the day we are still a server that caters to newer players and newer players make mistakes. If you have no reason to think it was intentional and they have no relevant history then a job ban, a shorter server ban, or even a note can often prove sufficient the first time around. This can apply to similarly disastrous mistakes as well, such as a newer engineer making a mistake on a singularity setup.

Overall I do like this application, however your activity is somewhat inconsistent (as you’ve pointed out). As such I’ll give this a +0.5, good luck.

T:+2.5

Full disclosure, I’ve read none of the app but I gotta +1 for the name alone.

T: +3.5

4 Likes

We’ve decided to accept this application. We’d like to see you improve your ingame activity a little more though ;).

Congratulations and welcome to the team!

Accepted at 3.5