This implies a rework for guns but at the promise of greater dynamism later on.
They would be a “Brig Engineer” as only sec would have an official gunsmith.
The fundamentals of the gunsmith and their duty is to upgrade sec guns and equipment and to make the technological shells, as the round progresses, this would offer sec a path into the lategame. Secondary job would be to reinforce and repair brig as needed.
I will split this into 3 parts:
The gun rework
All guns have 3 parts:
(Note, whenever I say parts from now on I am talking about these 3, components refer to the tiered ones such as lasers, capacitors, etc)
Chassis determines capacity for amount of modules.
Example: Pistol (Disabler for example) has fewer module slots than a rifle(Which could be energy gun or laser gun as example)
Modules determine what kind of projectile it fires as well as any modifiers. (Bullets, disabling shot, laser shot, tazer shot, etc)
Example: Disabling shot laser module, fires disabling laser as the name suggest
Rapid laser cooling module, increases fire rate
Ammo determines how many shots can be fired.
All modules and all ammo parts can be modified by components. They by default start with T1.
Module components determine the power of the shot. (Disabling with T1 does for example 25 stam damage, T4 might do 50 stam damage)
Ammo components determine how many shots you can fire. (T1 - 10 disabling shots, T4-40, as example)
Of course this would also imply the possibility of ghetto guns of varying quality with various downsides or upsides.
Example of completed guns:
- Pistol chassis
- Disabling laser module ( T1 laser component)
- Standard Power Cell
- HoS Gun chassis (Unique item that has more capacity than a regular gun, but the same as more advanced chassis, maybe)
- Disabling laser module (T1 laser)
- Lethal laser module (T1 laser)
- Tazer module (T1 capacitor, a higher tier capacitor would make the tazer stun like it used to before the nerf)
- Standard Power Cell
Fantasy epic gun:
- Advanced gun chassis
- Burst fire module ( T4 manipulator, gives huge fire rate)
- Tazer module (T4 capacitor, instant 5s stun or so)
- Drum magazine (.357 or any other caliber really) (Higher capacity magazines take up more space on the chassis and more advanced research to unlock )
- Bluespace battery/Tazer charge (how about having tazers use cartridge that is non-rechargeable and must be produced again at the lathe to recharge? Higher tiers could include more shots and eventually at bluespace level a self-recharging charge).
Note: Changing between firing modes should be done by pressing on the gun ( or z or whatever) with the same gun
Pressing on the gun with the empty hand should unload the magazine that the current module is using
To do this they would have a new location within the brig, the brig engineer’s office. Equipped with 1 new machine:
- The Smithy, and this is the editor, where you put a gun and can edit any of the parts by swapping parts or components of parts
Also possible to do the exact same thing just more tediously, by hand (Basically disassemble the entire gun, take the component out of the parts, and manually insert new components on the chassis. Something like :Screwdriver to open up the gun, crowbar to disassemble everything, screwdriver on individual parts to get the components out of them, and so on)
On top of that multiple other ammo types can be researched ( some locked behind illegal tech, of course ), and they will now be able to be crafted at the lathe.
Gun parts, that is different chassis, different modules and ammos, become available through research. Only disabler module is on by default. They are then produced only at the sec lathe.
Should only be 1 at round start.
Starts off with engineer tools and sec gear. They’re on the same level as a brig physician rank wise.
Has the same access as an officer assigned to engineering. No armory access, gun requests should go through warden/hos.
- Craft new guns as they see fit or as are requested
- Modify/upgrade guns as they see fit or as are requested
- Upgrade the brig defenses
- Repair the brig
- Fulfill any engineering needs that security might have
I had intended to code this myself but realistically I will probably never get around to it, so if anybody else wants to take a shot at it.
I do realise that this is quite extensive, so I also have a very, very shortened idea:
- Give sec guns and maybe others too, attachment slots such as the KA. These could be: Increased effect, increased battery, xray maybe as a very deep tech one, many more possible.
- Still add the brig engineer with an office but since it’s a lot more simple his job is implicitly more simple.