Dynamic gamemode, should it be changed or remain the same?

Honestly I’m pleasently surprised how many people want dynamic, it’s a great start. We need someone smart (like Giacomo) to assess what we need to port from teegee in order to have our dynamic properly running. When it’s done, I’l be happy to make it my evening (or several) to port it to us.

4 Likes

Not only is Dynamic good as a game mode for mayhem and insanity, but the name dynamic is just super cool and naturally leads into the equally super cool term dynamic gameplay.

3 Likes

I really think that revs shouldn’t be a round ending antag. Depending on who wins the rounds should still end with the emergency shuttle (perhaps if the revs win they could call a shuttle to the syndie base like a hijack). Having the round end immediately after the loss of one side allows for the complete destruction of the station without any consequences. If the revs plasmaflood the brig to kill comman then they should have to deal with the heat for the rest of the round. Making revs not roundending would also make the whole round feel more natural than just being a death match.

I can imagine the rev heads organizing a new command structure independent from nanotrasen or the previous heads trying to contact centcom after escaping to lavaland and “loosing” the round. If centcom responds then the roles could turn around having the revs defend their heads while NT attacks.

If we’re pushing for removing the antag greentext mindset then why do we have entire gamemodes that end when you greentext.

Sorry if my ramblings are nonsensical and hard to read but i can’t write for shit and I’m lazy

6 Likes

Yes to 24/7 Dynamic.

FUCK NO to our current version of Dynamic aka Dynamic my fucking dick in your mouth.

With a rewrite that takes more things into account, including population, I’d rather hold off on it or take some cues from TG.

3 Likes

Would be really nice if you provided your views regarding current dynamic system. We know it’s flawed, just want people to say what they actually think is incorrect.

2 Likes

Hmm… it’s 5AM so my thoughts are a bit scattered but:

The good:

• No metagaming game modes
  • More variety in gameplay during the round, especially if it brings back some antags like heretics and such

The bad:

• Current weights for antag picks are kind of scuffed although that feeds into the point below:
  • It’s hard, even for a system like this, to take into account the current round state and keep it at an interesting level…

To elaborate on that, even with threat scaling with population, rolling a single low threat Xeno would completely end the round and kill everyone on station on a lowpop round, even if it’s the only antagonist picked. Similar issue if there is higher pop but little to no security or command during a round since they add quite a boost to the threat level a station can handle. On the other end of the scale, antagonist defeat could also be taken into account. If all traitors get caught in 10 minutes, perhaps the system could inject more or greater threats somehow.

In the end I feel like it’s less about just tweaking threat ratings but also some esoteric way to keep track of the current level of chaos and adjust goals accordingly. Some combinations of threats can be devastating together even if the combined threat is low, or an especially robust crew could deal with them all immediately. Maybe a more flexible threat system that adjusts itself to the current state of the round would do better with some more awareness since the current one doesn’t take into account player skill into account at all.

5 Likes

I looked at TG’s recent PRs

These three were the biggest (plus a buunch of other small tweaks for the threat points of some antags).

I’ll try to understand what they did differently from our gamemode

4 Likes

Does this mean your gonna port the prs :flushed:

2 Likes

ahah… riightttt :skull:

EDIT:
jokes aside, i don’t think we should copy and paste TG’s gamemode, but I still need to look more into it

4 Likes

Fwiw it’s the admins job to keep an eye on the round state

Any time dynamic wants to spawn somebody it tells the admin who can veto it. When I was a fullmin I vetoed stuff all the time if the round was already chaotic.

Nicer than the alternative where admins are not allowed by policy to add antagonists until an hour has passed at minimum, where it’s usually too late for antags to be effective.

1 Like

Dynamic has changed heavily now that my PR is merged. This thread could use some new info. But basically all the midround costs and weights have changed and new midrounds are added, plus midrounds will actually spawn now

2 Likes

Can cult be made into a mid round with revs being removed as a midround

1 Like

One thing I’ve immediately notice is that Syndicate sleeper agent is happening very, very, very frequently. Every dynamic round I’ve observed has had like 5 or so.

Yes. This is intentional. It is actually using the threat.

Syndicate Sleeper Agent is the ONLY midround that can spawn with no sec or a player count below like 15.
50 threat where 25 is spent on roundstart rules leaves you with 25 midround threat, which means you could have up to 8 sleepers. In reality though dynamic is nice and will only spawn around 5 because there’s an antag cap.
50 threat is considered a middle ground. On rounds where there is actually security, things like nightmare, revenants, pirates, nukies, etc can actually spawn and consume the threat that would otherwise be syndicate sleepers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.