Discuss ERP, Racism, Zero Tolerance and Unappealable here

Since my early days of ss13 i realized that this game is racism simulator.
It for sure improved but you would get attacked so much on non human race and literally experience what nazis would do to jews.
So imo gamer words werent the problem but the spirit of racism in ss13, i got used to it.

bruh do i speak english

We are an outlier server in that we have both the strictest anything-that-can-be-called-“ERP” rules as well as lacking a 18+ only rule.

I’ve already argued in my ban appeal precisely why both aspects are dumb, so the rules should be changed to distinguish between PG-12 talk and the type of hardcore ERP that actually happens on dedicated ERP servers (it’s simple enough to just add that flirting is not ERP), as well as add a 18+ don’t ask don’t tell policy (like every other tg fork) since it’s needed for all the violent and gorey content that already exists in the game, and the codebase license requires us to copy it.

Until that changes I can’t support any bans being zero tolerance nor unappealable.

False on both counts.

Borgs get access to ooga when?
20 chars?

I really think that players would have take it very far to be unapealable. It just seems so unfair to totally remove someone from the community just because of a few slip ups, even if those slip ups are big.

1 Like

Children shouldn’t be protected from the violent content in the game? Then what age rating do you think is suitable for SS13?

And please elaborate on why we wouldn’t have the same age rating as upstream.

No, I’m saying you’re being hypocritical. You want to get rid of the racism and all the erotic content, yet bring back the people who you know already ERP’d.

Make sure your high horse doesn’t kick me in the face, thanks.

5 Likes

It’s cartoon/animated blood, not full-on gore and torture, the blood is at most a few pixels acting as a crude representation as blood, while realistic blood effects are in games with less than 18+ ratings.

isnt the ERP cartoon aswell then, since its two 2d spess mans with no animations on top of each other?

also by your logic isnt something like original Doom not gory then?

1 Like

Let’s compare SS13 gore to similar cartoon/animated 2D games: Hotline Miami, Doom 2 and Mortal Kombat Advance are all rated Mature, for 17+ by ESRB. SS13 gore is not significantly different from any of them.

On top of that we have other elements which would earn it an adult rating such as drug use and strong language. But in contrast Bee is still being marketed to kids.

1 Like

Perma bans suck. Unappealable bans suck more.
While erp is pretty straight forward I don’t trust admins in declaring what and who is racist.

3 Likes

That’s a strawman. SS13 can’t really be rated due to its online nature. If you were to rate the base it would most likely get a T/13-16 rating, although you could argue for M/18+. That being said, ratings for games are guidelines for parents. Not strict rulings on who can/can’t play.

For one, no SS13 server is officially ranked. For two, your belief that it carries over with the licenses shows how little you actually understand about software licensing. The licenses we’re obligated to follow don’t care about age ratings; for that matter, no license obligates the end-user/contributor to maintain unrelated policies. If that actually was a thing, no software project could exist separately from the original upstream (expanding out of SS13, such an oddball rule would mean things like MariaDB couldn’t exist since it’d be forced to comply with Oracle’s asinine policies).

Edit: To clarify, no mainstream license requires this. It’s technically possible for a custom license to exist that enforces such obtuse requirements; although, the legal validity of that would be questionable.

True, it’s online nature prevents a rating because the agencies understand that content changes often. However if we look at the content which has not changed in years and is unlikely to - the gore, drug use and strong language would indeed earn it a M/17+ rating if we compare it to 2D games with similar violence.

People are legally restricted from purchasing these games unless they meet the required age. Of course parents can allow their children to play by purchasing the games for them, but in a free-to-play online game like SS13 there’s no such parental oversight, and it’s up to the game hosts themselves to adequately warn children of the content they will be exposed to.

That is fair, I misspoke by saying it’s a legal requirement. But it is however arguably an ethical one, as every other popular server has an age restriction in order to protect children from being exposed to such explicit content. That Bee doesn’t have an age requirement at all let alone an adult rating seems like a glaring omission.

Actually you can clearly see on both rating boards that we’d easily fit within the lower rating. Our gore isn’t overly realistic and overall pretty minimal. There is an argument that can be made for 18, but I think it’s fair to say that an argument for Teen would be just as easy.

Sources:

ESRB - XboxESRB Website
PEGI

Wrong. There are no laws (at least in the US) prohibiting minors from purchasing M or R rated media. There is pressure on companies to ensure that they don’t sell that sorta content to minors, but there’s nothing legally restricting them to do so. In fact, attempts to make such laws have been struck down as being unconstitutional in the past. Brown v. Entertainment Merchants Association - Wikipedia

You can argue there is a moral obligation to restrict who can access our content, but that again conflicts with the fact that there is no official ranking on the game itself. With that being said, putting in a “don’t ask don’t tell” 18+ policy like you suggested would do nothing to fulfill that moral obligation. We all know it’d do nothing to stop minors from joining and it wouldn’t magically remove them from our community. If anything, it’d be worse since we’re actively pretending like the obvious isn’t happening. With all due respect, it’s a silly argument to make.

I respectfully disagree due to the points I made above this.

I’ll just reiterate an earlier point… Pretending like you’re actually 18+ when you do nothing to weed out minors and remove confirmed persons who are underage doesn’t grant you the moral/ethical high-ground. I’d argue that it puts you in a worse spot. On that note, we’re not the only server who doesn’t enforce an 18+ rule. We are the largest, but not the only one.

To summarize, an argument coming from, “Think of the children, make it 18+” is a bit silly since again, you can argue where the actual age rating should be. There’s a clear argument for both sides and without any official board ranking us (which wouldn’t be possible anyways due to the online interactions), it’s a bit of a pointless argument to make. It gets a bit worse when you’re suggesting to put in a policy that is actively deceptive in nature.

Having an 18+ “don’t ask don’t tell” policy is nothing but a CYA move, it does nothing to address the actual problems you’re presenting. Which, honestly, fair enough. I understand why people do it, and hell, we might even do it at some point. But pretending that it actually solves anything is just wrong.

This is all wildly off topic now. If you want to continue the discussion, I ask that you make a new topic. (I arguably should have done the same)

1 Like

No, the strong language doesn’t come from the content of the game, it comes from the on-line interactions so it wouldn’t factor into a hard rating. On top of that, all three of those were present in Oblivion which was given a T rating by the ESRB.

You aren’t legally restricted from purchasing them (at least in the United States) all of it is company policy. The ESRB isn’t even a government agency, it’s a private ratings board.

1 Like

Of all the topics that desperately need to be discussed, the ones specified by the thread title are not them. What about how roleplaying is never enforced on Sage, or the slippery censorship slope we’re headed down? Not that I’d want to discuss those ITT, but I see them as being far more critical issues.

Yes, ERP should stay banned. The goal (I believe) is to have a pair of servers which are engaging to players new to SS13. ERP is relatively niche, and doesn’t appeal to the vast majority of players.

Yes, racism should stay banned. I’d fight the existence of the word filter, but that’d be a pointless struggle - I instead advocate for using it more sanely. As above, so below - the idea behind banning certain words is to make the servers as inviting as possible, a goal I can respect.

Zero tolerance is pretty much the only thing worth discussing. I can see how it would have utility, but it’s on a case by case basis. If someone with an Account Age 0 plasma floods, then yeah, perma their ass. If there is a situation that has any degree of ambiguity - as I assume the thread leading to the creation of this thread did, I haven’t examined it - then there should be an equal amount of leeway in the applied ban.

No, nothing should be unappealable. Appeals can certainly be denied simply on the basis of repeated/extreme offenses though, with a note to get a voucher or wait 6 months before making another appeal. People change. This is a game. We want good players, and someone who is willing to wait all that time to rejoin our happy little tribes strikes me as having solid workings of a good player.

Another take on this would be that it somewhat scales with the offense and the actor in question. For example, if a player that has been generally positive for the overall community slipped up and did something that’s fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, they likely shouldn’t be prohibited from appealing. However, someone who has been historically toxic doing something far more egregious (e.g. IC rape and torture) would likely always have their appeals denied, effectively making their ban unappealable. That being said, even a positive player doing something so egregious would likely have all of their appeals denied in the future.

if a player that has been generally positive for the overall community slipped up and did something that’s fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, they likely shouldn’t be prohibited from appealing.

That being said, even a positive player doing something so egregious would likely have all of their appeals denied in the future.

I’d certainly hope not. I’m very wary of how you phrase that though. If someone breaks a rule - they’ve broken a rule. If they have a long, long history of notes and bans, it shouldn’t matter if they’re staff or have been a glowing beacon of positivity.

However, someone who has been historically toxic doing something far more egregious (e.g. IC rape and torture) would likely always have their appeals denied, effectively making their ban unappealable.

Again, pretty wary of your phrasing. I’d like to think of bans as being as apolitical as possible. Obviously, yeah, if someone rapes someone else - wham, bam, thank you ma’am - that’s a perma. Still, I stand by:

People change. This is a game. We want good players, and someone who is willing to wait all that time to rejoin our happy little tribes strikes me as having solid workings of a good player.

I assume there’s some kind of “thin-ice” policy in place for players returning after a long perma, or with a voucher. If not, there should be.

Zero tolerance isn’t case by case, it literally is what it says it is. Intolerable. Not tolerated. If you allow people back after they do something that you say you have “zero tolerance” for, you clearly are willing to tolerate it.