DatBoiTim finally made an Admin App 😳

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): DatBoiTim, no alts

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): DatBoiTim#3972, server nick DatBoiTim

How often are you online to play/admin? (Eastern Standard Time/New York): Weekends and most days after 8 PM. I am generally asleep by midnight local time.

What changes, if any, would you bring?: Perhaps the first and foremost is a sort of contraband list like Froststahr mentioned here

How old are you?: 19, turn 20 in august

Why do you want to be an admin?: Per an audit and my own reflection, I realized I spend a lot of time talking about how I wish the server would be in particular to how staff handle things. However, I can only talk so much before it feels silly not to pitch in myself.

How long have you been playing SS13?: April 2020.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: 664h

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: 8, I can play most jobs.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?: 6-7. I’ve definitely played with admin tools when I debug code, and I’ve certainly poked around in depth with stuff, but I haven’t had nor needed to use some more common admin things like PMs, bans, etc.

Have you ever been an admin on another server? This is not limited to SS13: No. If it’s worth anything I’ve GM’d tabletop games for a good while and it’s got some transferable skills.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: No

Your strengths: Engagement on Discord / Forums, I try to get along with people as much as I can help it, Knowledge with code, willing to help and teach players. Triage softskillset.

Your weaknesses: Activity. I have a job, and full loads of college classes during the beginning and ends of the years, and I try to handle some code related stuff.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: Cyberthreats tend to be a huge immediate no for me. I’m talking the type of posting my IP address and a photo of my residence stuff.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Willingness to cooperate with other staff and communicate with others effectively.

What makes a staff team good?: Cohesion and communication. Getting along also important and adjacent to cohesion.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: Managing gameplay and community issues. Teaching and guiding players mechanically and policy wise in non adversarial ways.

What kind of player are you?: Sage player, friendly and helpful if I know someone needs it.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: I will definitely be concerned regarding how my conduct is viewed on larger scale. Out of context perceptions, etc.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
Addressing in order of priority:
Restore the gun to locker, this is a round limited part of the issue, I can always go grab logs afterwards.
Ahelp with clown, checking notes.
No notes? Note him, explain why that is bad
Got notes(1-2 related notes)? Jobban from clown, explain further incidents may not be treated nicely.
Got a mean streak? 1 day+ global ban at minimum. Wouldn’t go further than 2 weeks.
Mile wide mean streak? Consult with a headmin over perma.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
Addressing in order of priority:
Ahelp the perpatrator, check hours and notes.
Low hours, no other guidance? Yeet.
Low hours, with guidance that was an antag? Give low hour buddy a brief ban(>1hr) to go reread rules.
Low hours, guidance from non-antag? Bwoink the person providing guidance. Follow these same steps. Unless they have a *really * good and legitimate reason guide will be beaned with a perma sentence and a request to appeal. The guided person will get hit with a read rules ban as previous branch of the ticket flow.
High hours, no notes for this sort of thing? Lengthy and potentially permanent ban.
High hours, and notes for this sort of thing? Perma with a request for a vouch from another server.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:
For simplicity I will take accidentally as saying they are a newer player for the frame of the question. While a bwoink isn’t necessary, I’d definitely PM them something along the following since, hey, they may not know where to find the wiki or how to mhelp.

“Hey, I see you’re a newer player interested in chemistry. You may find this guide insert chemistry wiki guide link helpful. Additionally, if you look in the top right, you can contact me and other players who are here to teach the game under the mentor tab, using the mhelp button. You are not in trouble, so don’t worry about the situation from an administration standpoint.”

3 Likes

Note this isn’t really up to admins, stuff like that is for people higher up in the chain. Any influence is probably limited to just being a stark voice in the more open conversations that do occur.

Anyways, rest of the app looks decent and the notes are good. I’m a little iffy on question 1, if it’s sage I would skip to deporting/jobbanning clown more quickly since soft-grief pranks are even more harshly not wanted on sage.

Number 2 doesn’t take into account the new perma policy I think. Low hours + guidance from non-antag would usually just be an instant-permaban without an astounding reason from the one who told them to do, which can’t be appealed for a year. Slight other thing, you’d check the antag’s objectives and motivations as well, they aren’t necessarily free to do this.

Neither of these are really bad though, you’d get a better sense of those during a trial period and asking in the help channel and I like the emphasis on context.

Anyways, only main issue is your in-game activity is relatively low. I’d probably give a tentative +1 to trialing since your community representation and whatnot are good, but you’ll wanna be able to promise more activity (at least through the summer) for the others to +1 this too.

This is something I can in fact manage, since I get less absurd hours, including shift ends at 2PM local, and shift starts at 9 AM(so I can afford to sleep later and stay up later).

1 Like
  1. A roboticist throws MMI (with brain) out of the airlock. What do you do? Rules broken?
  2. You find a paper with something that definitely doesn’t follow our rules (content is not important in this scenario). How do you investigate?
  3. Curator (antagonist) hits chaplain once by mistake. Chaplain crits him in response and first thing he searches him finding contraband. After that he takes him to security where curator gets executed. Any rules broken?
  4. You claim to good knowledge of admin tools, how do you:
  • check previous fingerprints
  • check atmos logs
  • check crew manifest
  1. Chaplain sprays a few runes in chapel, murders a monkey on top of them and prays to you. How do you respond?

Assuming non antag:
R2.5. TP MMI back to station. Bwoink the thrower. Ban/Note when appropriate.

Overescalation on either server, especially if the curator makes it known it was accident. Bwoink chaplain and follow through on the ticket as usual. The curator is SOL in this situation.

Ignore. If they pray something particularly interesting give them a monkeys paw response(pun pun intended). IF really persistent and annoying, issue a pray mute.

Get server logs under admin. Paper.log contains it

This is some stuff fingerprint and fingerprint adjacent under vv.
Investigation should cover the atmos logging
This is a ghost verb, so any variant of ghosting would allow this to be run.

Answers seem good. Going to leave judging archanials questions to him, but those seem generaly about right also.

A concern would be as has been pointed out limited activity.
Full admins get a good bit more leniency in this then freshly minted trialmins - since trials have to prove that they are a good fit for the team and responsibility.
(aswell as fill a minimum amount of tickets in their trial term, though to be honest that limit is quite easy to meet)
So regular activity would be rather important.

That out of the way, there isnt much of a reason to not give you a shot in my oppinion - your record is good and so on.

+1

Have some more funny questions for the sake of it.

1. While playing and admining at the same time, someone floods the station with plasma and you end up dying to the ensueing plasmafire. Actions?

2. While ghosting around, you happen to check an assistants inventory. They are equiped with insuls, a full toolbelt, a medkit, sunglasses, zipties and a flash.
    For each server respectively, actions?

3. You witness a traitor break into engineering, kill any and all engineers he meets and then proceed to get an sm-shard from the crystal. Atleast 5 are dead. Any issues here?

Answering on mobile so mind formatting and typos

Generally this situation shouldn’t happen cause for a good while I remember you had to deadmin to play period(though actual logistics of it may be different than my understanding). Assuming there isn’t an admin on and bwoinking the perp already, take to discord and call for someone else to investigate because handling own issue is a huge no-no under admin conduct.

Golden? Nothing. You can make and carry some really crazy weapons(that I myself have done on there) with no issue cause powergaming isn’t a rule.

Sage? This heavily reads as powergaming in most situations. Unless they’re an antag of some kind; open ticket and proceed as normal.

Gonna answer under the pretext that they have the objective for it:
Should the five dead be all engineering staff or direct witnesses nothing is wrong. You’re allowed to murder staff of the department that houses your objective(ie: medical for hypo, RnD for telearmor/extracts, etc.) in order to pursue and acquire your objective.

Yeah that’s really of concern during semesters, which would be accurate until about last week.

To expand on my brief blurb with Frost;

Now my days are 9-2 so my activity during trial(and depending on timeframe, even a good month or two after). I’ve been making a point to be on earlier as of yesterday to answer mhelps while I code stuff for the game at the very least.

:+1: Good answers
First one was a kinda-sorta trick question - there isnt a perfect answer.

Admin policy has been revised back to where you are allowed to admin and play, so long as you are not antag, sec, command or silicone.

Correctly you’ve identifed the main crux of the issue - you realy realy shouldnt handle any issue involving youreself. However, its also not unheard of to make inoffical emergency exceptions to this - if its a 0hour account made today spamming OOC and going ham on evryone, and noone else is around to help, its in the best intrest of evryone to just get rid of them

2 Likes

It’s not really an overescalation on lrp. You’d be allowed to crit and search the offender.
I’d say it’s dependent on the weapon used. Punching once isn’t threatening, getting slashed by sword is something else.

This is the most boring answer I have received yet. I’m throwing minimal background just to let you answer however you want.

As some people said in hidden posts, your hours on the server are not really high. Why are you applying if you are not playing on the server?

Yeah this is a component to take into account, so fair game that I didn’t cover a scope of things in my answer. I had answered under pretext(if that matters) that it was something extremely low damage(like a punch or garden variety briefcase) since these are likely to be the most common types of accidental hits(I am saying this anecdotally, which is also why I arrived at the pretext).

The background of the pray itself felt low effort. I also don’t have much for what the prayer was, which is really where monkey’s paw or other acknowledgement would have more to work with.

If you want more about what kind of ideas I have for pray responses, specifying the prayer itself(ignoring background and set dress) would give me more to work with. I’m more than happy to talk about that more in depth so you can get a read on that that will be satisfactory to you.

TLDR: It’s something I’ve considered as I’ve been feeling hopeful about my energy levels being in a good place to play a good amount in the present and coming future. In part due to some information I have acquired about future semesters being less of a shitshow for me.

Background

I am aware of this feedback and here’s some in depth history:
Most of this was from the last semester or two which have been rough since remote and hybrid learning took a toll on me and put extreme expectations regarding my job(I work as an intern at the IT department, a mere step up from student worker.)
I was expected to do work off the clock to fix issues that occurred frequently with the current learning technology integrations. It was draining to have to be in work mode even during the times where I could just sit and relax knowing there’s not much expected of me.
From what my college has said, that’s not happening again this coming semester, so I should fare a lot better in that regard.

I understand that it’ll take time to show that I have time and energy again to be active and do stuff beyond just engaging in the community via forums and discord. Which is something I have been working on starting yesterday and you can by all means hold your vote until you feel confident in more recent activity levels.

As for applying, I feel confident about being able to be active now that I’m not trudging through my days now and for a good amount of the future.

And if nobody responds?

I’d assume(since I’ve never actually seen an admin write one) I can make a player report for someone(who isn’t me) to handle it eventually. Otherwise SOL and can just carry on with life.

I glossed over it since I don’t really view my code contributions as admin(or staff) related changes; I should be clear about this though for those, if any, who are concerned:

Current and future code contributions are independent of my staff status, whatever it may be. I can gladly give brief updates on existing code projects should y’all be really concerned.

+1

1 Like

+1 here too

1 Like

T: +4 :flushed:

Looks good

i will throw in my 1+ too
giving you a chance

1 Like

Now up to +5 :partying_face:

Thanks y’all who’ve reviewed so far!

2 Likes

I don’t think I can really do the ingame time commitment expected of me. I’ve as of late gotten pulled into many non SS13 games playing with other members within the community.

For those who’ve supported me: Thank you, I appreciate you believing in me, and I am sorry for any disappointment. Perhaps another time.

Request for an admin: Close Thread.

2 Likes

Closed uppon request of applicant

1 Like