Command, Contraband, Space Law and enforcement

I’ll take that bet all day

Additionally

I absolutely do not disregard Bee’s rules at large, which is why I have a sparse note/ban history; I also primarily roleplay, even when an antagonist, and regularly take character quirks that cripple my ability to robust my way out of situations so that I’m forced to roleplay in the vast majority of scenarios (most commonly paraplegic + prosthetic limb + alcohol tolerance + drunken resilience, have fun trying to be a low-roleplay player with that).

You said on Discord you’ve had only one direct interaction with me that you can remember (which was admittedly negative), as a result I think you have a very warped perception of how I play on Sage, and I think it’s unfair for you to insist that I’m hellbent on breaking the rules if one interaction is all you’ve got because I argue about some rulings.

It’s quite possible, but look at how you carry yourself on the forum and discord, jumping at every opportunity to tell us we’re wrong and that players should be doing things that are against the rules.

You’re very vocal about insisting that players do things your way even if you are actually complicit while you play, as evidenced by directly telling a player they should ignore admin direction in OOC

You have this wrong; I believe that players should do things their way when possible. I believe that rules should be as nonrestrictive as possible while fostering a roleplay-friendly setting (which LRP sorely lacks). This doesn’t mean I encourage people to break the rules unless the rule is unclear or allows them to contextually ignore it (or that refusing to do so would break other rules), like I believe “enforce space law” does; you don’t expect a HOS to bust people for every single crime in the book, especially when the book itself says it’s just a guideline, for example. It’s explicitly designed that was as space law, by its own language, " exist(s) to serve mainly as guidelines for the law and order of the dynamic situations that exist for stations on the frontiers of space, as such some leeway is permitted.".

The contextual discretion to apply leeway when the player feels it is reasonable is built-in for command, who are the arbiters of when to apply such leeway. The limitation of that discretion (as that is exactly what it is meant to be) as written would be when said decision breaks other rules, such as powergaming or self-antagonism. I don’t think there’s any other reasonable way to interpret that, and I also think that’s a very reasonable ruling for an MRP setting.

I stand by that decision 100% and believe that your guidance was poor, as it forced them to break both other rules of Silicon conduct as well as breaking their roleplay. The AI player felt similarly and made sure to very openly make you aware of that fact. I completely agree with how they felt and I’d absolutely suggest they do it again while also noting the other rules you were trying to force them to break when doing so. This is particularly because they were a silicon, which has some very rigid rules that are a large part of what make silicons distinct in roleplay and behaviour from organic crew.

1 Like

And yet our rules are not non-restrictive at all. Why are you here pushing this narrative?

As long as you’re not powergaming

Should be allowed to have traitor gear

lol okay chief

No shit dude, and as I already said, I follow them, which is why I have a sparse note/ban history. What’s your point? I said what I believe to be the ideal rules philosophy, but I’m not an admin. I can only follow your rules as best I can.

The issue is that I think Bee’s current rules, while fundamentally pretty decent, have built on top of them a large amount of tribal knowledge and unreasonable expectations of familiarity, and areas of pretty significant conflict and contention, which I know the admins also agree with considering their current rewrite and the conversations I’ve had with headmins about it. In the areas where I believe they conflict, I can only give what I believe to be my best reading of the rules, and argue in favour of that reading.

You also addressed literally nothing else in that post.

That you have spent your half of what is soon to be a 30 post thread insisting that command staff should not be held to higher standards than normal crew, despite the server rules and an admin telling you directly what is expected of them.

I think the rules as-stated provide an explicit, built-in discretion to ignore space law when command deems it reasonable. You disagree, and that’s fine, but I’ll continue to argue my reading because I believe that your reading is worse. Your solution to that is to either provide a better reading, amend the rules to eliminate that discretion, or just agree to disagree.

Please, give me your citation for this. Here is my citation (again) to the contrary from current rules.

Your character is a grown adult working on a research station for a major company. You are a professional. Act like it.

Respect space law and standard operating procedures. Committing minor crimes is justifiable through roleplay, but major crimes should typically be avoided.

Do not collect dangerous items, weapons, or tools “just in case”. Do not wear a hardsuit, riot suit, or similar bulky/uncomfortable armor for the entire round.

(^ only loosely applies to current discussion)

Heads of Staff are held to higher standards than regular crewmembers. You are expected to be a competent person and competent at your job.

Non-antagonists are required to perform their assigned job in good faith. Breaks are fine, but ignoring your department and obligations is not. This goes especially true for Silicons, Heads of Staff, and Security.

And while it’s not explicitly stated in the rules, I would say it’s common sense that part of the job of a head of staff is to run their department as if they were the leader of it. This means directing and checking in on the people that work under you.

Right after waking up probably isn’t the best time to respond to this, but oh well.

I am aware that I’m not that good at RP, and can be chaotic at times. I have been trying to improve myself in those areas, but I have a problem of falling back into my comfort zone which is that chaotic side. So it might take longer than I think anyone would like, but I do hope that sometime in the coming months I can improve on my roleplay.

Genuine effort to improve is all we can really ask, and again the sprinkle of chaos now and then isn’t a problem so much as ye olde days of finding an excuse to secede every other round and starting a mutiny against CC/Security.

1 Like

The rules and regulations herein are not absolutes, instead they exist to serve mainly as guidelines for the law and order of the dynamic situations that exist for stations on the frontiers of space, as such some leeway is permitted.

Leeway is entirely undefined, and space law goes out of its way to promote itself as guidelines, which leaves it up to the player to determine if their ignoring space law in that instance is reasonable within roleplay, so long as they aren’t breaking other server rules in the process. The captain, HOS and security officers are generally the arbiters of space law on the station, and are free to apply discretion so long as it’s justifiable within roleplay and breaks no other rules.

Everything you posted are guidelines, by design.

How about the highlighted block right above your narrow cut-out, where it specifies that what you’re describing is the intention for golden and heavily implies that there will be admin intervention for anything that isn’t a minor oversight on Sage?

Again, “There is leeway” and “reasonable standard” allow players to use their discretion to determine when it is appropriate to follow space law, and explicitly provides discretion to ignore it.

Or how about the fact you’re being directly told that your interpretation is wrong by an admin that has been part of the rework on rules since the beginning

That’s a cool story buddy, I still follow the rules even if I don’t agree with them, as evidenced by my sparse enforcement history. What’s your point? My point the entire time has been that the rules should be better, and that as-written I believe they support my reading better.

Because you cherry picked one line and bent it to your own meaning without regard for the context around it, or regard for the context of being told otherwise. Okay.

That one line is a preface to the entire contents of the article meant to temper how strictly space law should be followed.

The preface is above what you quoted. I screencapped the preface. Preface is always the first thing on the page, not what you decide it is