Circuit cloning was grudge coded out lmao

No, just log a few basic things and make a basic rule.

Log who made it, if the circuit gets out and harms people and you’re not antag man you get beaned.

Nanotrasen Telecommunications Scripting Language. A rather impressive piece of code that is basically a prototype of telecommunications circuits.

Here’s one of the more popular scripts from back in that day, as an example of how complex the stuff is.

1 Like

We already have a staffing problem. Let’s solve problems that we can just not have to bother with by requiring more staff attention.

I don’t understand, how does this require more staff?

I don’t have a problem with deep and complex features at face value, the problem is that circuits, like NTSL, are essentially highly polymorphic balls of hot glue that tend to hide a lot of tiny pinholes and obnoxious bugs. NTSL quietly had the ability to completely break global randomness, mute all communications traffic, and I believe around the time of it’s removal, and the catalyst for such after about 2 years of dealing with it’s bugs in the exact way we’re dealing with the bugs of circuits: Crash exploits.

Of which circuits have already had their share.

Problems with circuits:

• They’re very poorly logged. This makes grief with them hard to detect and fix.
  • They are very poorly sanitized and immensely complex. These two points make it very easy to find logless server crash exploits. Fixing this is very difficult due to the complexity of the mechanics.
  • It’s very hard to tell what a circuit does until it does it. Is the medibot shaped bot a simple follower bot, a homing bomb, a sentient chem-sprayer or a killbot with lasers? The only way to find out is to let it work on you. This isn’t very fair to the receiving end, especially if they’re new or don’t know how circuits work.
  • There have been instances of players “hoarding” exploits in circuits instead of reporting them to maintainers. Some of these are extremely broken (there is currently an exploit that allows for silently teleporting live explosives into people’s inventories).
  • Circuits are very cheap to make (tiny amounts of iron) for what is by far the most powerful gameplay system. A well made combat circuit is the strongest possible item in the game outside of adminbus or stuff that can’t be properly “aimed” (like plasmaflooding or fusion into the SM).

I, and other people who hate circuits, have no problem with them existing. What we do have a problem with is their current implementation, which needs to go for the health of the server. If you can satisfy the above problems with a rework, I’d be totally fine with their return.

If there are exploits that can do that stuff, go ahead and disable them entirely, I can’t argue against that.
I doubt anyone’s gonna fix them, so…

Farewell, beloved circuits.

i’m waiting for when they apply the same logic from circuits to other systems. have fun with chemistry removed because “oh bomb can keel ppl it’s not like that’s part of the game” or if someone finds an exploit that allows them to duplicate items by deep frying them or something then “well lets just remove all the dupable items so the bug is gone”

By the sound of it it’s more about the exploits crashing the server.

Could we set up a code bounty for circuit exploits or would that cost too much?

Chemistry is well logged, well developed, and highly integrated into the rest of the games.

Circuits have none of these qualities. Don’t stir shit.

1 Like

then fix it :flushed:

i’ve literally never seen a killbot it’s not like we have no time to do coding

Do it your fucking self. Nobody else on the team wants to.

i am but people are coding it out faster than i can fix

2 Likes

Because we don’t care to fix them

You are free to do as you wish, we are too. You do not get to order us to fix, add, remove, change, rework, anything.

Contributions and feedback are accepted, on our terms.

and the amount of people who actually play this server are decided on their terms

i don’t think you understand not only the short term consequences of this action but also what it shows about coding philosophy in general. if every bug warrants a removal, players won’t stick around for long.

Not every bug does. A large amount of bugs, some of which are being intentionally kept from us, in a system meant to be assembled in an essentially infinite number of ways, that provides a questionable value, does.

1 Like

Hi, just wanna say I’m a little disappointed my automatic healcircuits won’t work anymore. They were gonna inject just the right amount of meds an drag you to medbay, mapping was supposed to work over ntnet with other “netcode”. Also the hydroponics drones that were gonna automatically take care of plants with chems. I’ve just gotten back into circuits but those were my projects. Talking about “not useful”.

Well, since you need bombs to make circuits. Why not make chem dispenser boards less accessible? Or make instant cloning it’s own later game research node, since it’s not possible to spam complex stuff early. Or higher energy costs of possibly dangerous circuit parts? A limitation on hypo in circuits was a step towards the right direction. But this pr was just lazy as fuck.

Grenade primer is a useless feature that noone used anyway, so not sad about that. But weird removing it under the premise it’s dangerous. Mind you, you need to make grenades first - how much more dangerous can a circuit make it? Alternatively you can literally just attach the grenade to a signaler in no time and then just trap the wizard.

1 Like

I mean… technically

but that’s kind of lazy and requires you to be knowledgeable about circuits and doesn’t show degree. It should literally be sprites compatible with in-hand sprites so you can see “holy shit that robot has a lot of guns.” Bomb circuits just need something showing off a mixing chamber on top of the sprite with perhaps some sort of beaker-ish design, that way you can tell exactly what it is.

I mean that’s more just about how copy paste is a crutch

circuits don’t integrate into rounds

(if it were more popular you could have a circuit guy do that stuff but yeah, not gonna happen lmao)

Everyone has removed them except the HRP servers

And aurora’s got the ancient ass implementation without cloning, so that really only leaves bay.
And no one plays science on baystation so there’s no one to abuse it