Chiryn Mod Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): Chiryn

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): chiryn#1521

How often are you online to help? (Timezone): I’m in the EEST time zone, I have plenty of free time. Outside of school and work, maybe slightly less.

What changes, if any, would you bring?: Hopefully less shitters and LRP on the server, there’s clearly not enough active staff to do it all and I want to help out with providing more manpower. And try to keep a positive outlook on the server, encouraging others to do the same.

How old are you?: 19

Why do you want to be a moderator?: Here I am, applying at my hour count. As weird or dumb as this may look, I realize that the server is going through a somewhat tougher time, with less staff being active and the whole sec situation, alongside the LRP and shittery going on that goes unanswered. I spoke with someone in public recently about this and decided to give it a shot. I may not bring a lot to the table, seeing as I’m a pretty fresh player and all, but if there’s any way I can help out the community then I want to at least try. I think it’d also expand my horizons a bit, and provide more ways to learn about the game more deeply. I really like Beestation and I don’t think I’d move to another server because I got so used to this codebase, and most importantly the people here, with all the ups and downs it may have.

How long have you been playing SS13?: Since the 2nd March 2022.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: Same as above.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: 4, maybe 5 at best? I know the basics of atmos such as setting up the SM (and a rather stinky emitter setup) and turbines. I think I’m familiar with most departments enough to play them somewhat efficiently, Medical and Security being my go-to’s usually, and combat wise I still fumble with the controls a bit.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games): Perhaps a 3-4. I haven’t adminned in a good while, and this is an entirely different game from what I used to work with.

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13: Yes, on a few Minecraft servers in the past. Back-end server administration and game/discord moderation in the past 2-3 years or so. Never on SS13 though.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: No, I have none.

Your strengths: I’m good natured, friendly, and wanting to help however I can. I think most people either have a neutral or semi-positive opinion of me, which boosts my confidence a bit. I am available most of the days usually. I like to think of myself as someone who tries to see the good side of people.

Your weaknesses: I am struggling with some personal life things, alongside depression and some issues to committing to things I start, so it’s not out of the cards that I may burn out either on the game, or staffing at some point. I can also be uncertain and possibly not very confident in what decisions I should take sometimes. Getting frustrated in game is still something I’m vulnerable to, but I think that goes away with time.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: Probably not mad, as I have never gotten truly mad at this game, only mildly upset. I hate when people seem to only care about greentexting and denying le epic balid of their wins, regardless of their job. Or the hate towards sec as both antagonists and normal crew and vice versa.Or perhaps the lack of roleplay that ensues between antagonists and crew… those are the three things I’m bothered by mainly.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: The ability to stay calm even during stressful situations or uncooperative people in tickets, and stay unbiased through all of it.

What makes a staff team good?: Coordination is a very important part of a team, as well as being active and communicating whatever thoughts or concerns they may have to each other, and interacting with the community to get to know people and hear them out. It’s also important to supervise each other and make sure the right decisions are made regarding tickets as an example, so issues may not arise with conflicting opinions. Keeping in mind this is all volunteer work to make the community a better place to be in, and deriving happiness and satisfaction from it is despite the many hardships one may encounter is important as well.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: Ensuring the community is free of people who bring nothing but negative experiences to the game and community, as well as listening to the people for what they want. Solving conflicts and misunderstandings between people is also something that should be done when possible. Alongside that, I think another thing that I find important to do but is quite lacking is staff-ran events or gimmicks, to bring the community together to have a fun time, different from the usual rounds in some way or another.

What kind of player are you?: I like playing head roles mostly, and I am aware I am required to de-admin if I do become staff if I play an antagonist, member of security or a head. In general, I do not stand out very much or have any particular quirks about my characters, and I try to do my job as much as I can before wandering off to do anything else. (Playing heads mitigates having nothing to do during rounds)

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: A more professional conduct would be in check for me, as currently I am a bit of a goof who jokes around a lot. Other than that, I cannot think of anything else.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?: Check if the clown is an antagonist, and if they are, leave them be. If they aren’t, and it’s green alert, perhaps leave as is, but anything higher than green alert is up for a bwoink, as it’s obstruction of the law to do that as normal crew.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?: Question their motives in a calm manner. If they are currently not stopping what they’re doing, jail them and keep questioning. Depending on their behavior, the punishment may be longer or shorter, or even permanent if they’re a very low hour player.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?: Determine whether it was an accident or not. Investigate what they were trying to make, or ask them directly otherwise. If it’s explosives or something dangerous, and nobody asked them to do it, remind them it’s against the rules to do so if they aren’t an antagonist.

14 Likes

Hello Chiryn! Thank you for deciding to apply! i’m very happy! :muscle: :pray:
I’ll check the standard question, then ask a couple of my own!

Don’t worry, you get better with experience. I too was VERY insecure about the decision I made when i started out, with time you learn to trust your instincts.

standard questions

Stealing the HOS’ gun (and spacing it as well) is considered self antagonising, it’s not just a crime but it’s directly breaching rules (reminder that IC punishment isn’t a substitute for OOC action, notes/bans).

I would issue a note if this were their first (self-antag, or related) offense, otherwise escalate to a ban.
You needn’t worry too much about banning people, it’s necessary if we want people to follow the rules.

It’s important to not be too lenient with this kind of people. Griefers won’t change their behavior in just a day or two. Such a blatant example of griefing should be punished accordingly.

I would not hesitate to permanently ban them.

We do not want around someone who (as a non antagonist) would sabotage the round for every other player.
This isn’t a “mistake” a new-ish player would make either, they know very well what they are doing.

sounds good :+1:
these kind of situations can be fairly common for new players, also remember to always check the notes, so that you know if it’s their first time

Overall, i liked your answers! you clearly care for the community, and the server and that’s very important!
But (i think) you should be less lenient when dealing with rule-breakers, they should be punished if they break the rules; especially griefers, they won’t change how they behave after just a short ban.
Of course some leeway is given when they create good “RP” situations.

questions!!

There is no single “right” answer, it’s just a way to know how you would approach these situations, so don’t worry about getting them “wrong”

1. Captain purged the AI (they had an ion law), then right when they’re about to upload Asimov, the purged AI stuns and kills the captain with their turrets.
    The same AI had been recently banned for three days for not following their laws.
    What would you do, if anything?

2. Bartender (non antag) hacks into engineering to get better tools. An officer is on the scene, and pulls out their disabler and use the “aim function” on the bartender. The bartender pulls out their shotgun, shoots the officer, and manages to escape.
    The bartender has one note about 0rp behavior.

3. You notice that in OOC, at the start of the round, a player complains about the CMO, and how bad they were. They’re getting excessively personal and toxic, using insults.

4. What’s your favorite dinosaur? :lizard: :bird:

2 Likes
  1. I don’t believe the AI has any IC reasoning to kill the captain, with or without laws. ESCALATION is needed as a lawless AI. Ban the player for a month from playing silicons for doing this.

2. Bwoink and ask why they’ve done that. Regardless of their answer, remind them that powergaming is not allowed; and that you should generally ask for things instead of breaking into places. Inform them that attacking an officer breaks rule 9 (and most likely 7), and depending on their ticket conduct I would more or less server ban them from 3 to 7 days.

3. Attempt to reason with them verbally, and invite them to share their feedback on the forums after they’ve cooled off, if they believe the CMO did such a terrible job that it’s report worthy. If reasoning does not work, OOC muting for about 3 hours would suffice.

4. I’ll be real with you and say, Godzilla.

3 Likes

you can also issue server bans for a smaller duration, alongside with job bans. Sometimes i do this if what they did was very bad, and directly tied to how they played that job.

Answer are good! I would love to see you on the staff :muscle: +1!

dino

Actually, godzilla is kinda neat, good choice :lizard:

T: +1

3 Likes

Liking the application so far!

You can be a bit of a goof while on staff, too. We’re not robots!

Will edit or add another post with questions soonish. I’m commenting right now to force myself to not take too long to do it.

Best of luck in your application!

1. You’ve been observing a Traitor that you know needs to get access to Engi to steal a sliver from the SM. While gearing up they find an SSD station engineer in dorms. They decide to steal their ID for easy engi access, but then come back and decide to kill and gib the player so there’s no chance of them ratting them out. The station engineer was not their target. What do you do, if anything?

2. A traitor gets caught just after killing the AI and starts insulting the other players via LOOC while they’re being carried to perma. You talk with them to calm them down, but they keep complaining to you in ticket about the others players behavior, quote: “they are griefing me and putting me on perma for a capital crime, that’s fucking bullshit”. What do you do, if anything?

4 Likes
  1. As per rules, you cannot strip or do anything to SSD players other than moving them to a safer place such as dorms in this case. Gibbing them is also overkill, even more so when they’re SSD. I would then inform them of these things and proceed to note and antag ban for a few days.

2. Remind them that by Space Law, they are allowed to execute you with the approval of the HoS or Captain, permanently jail you or even cyborgize you for committing a capital crime. I would also suggest the HoS to let them decide the punishment they should get, out of those three. Note the traitor for bad ticket conduct and OOC salting as well.

3 Likes

Yup, both answers look correct to me, thanks for taking the time to answer them.

Now go eat chip!

2 Likes

Alrighty, app looking good and so does your note/hour record which gives me a good feeling about this app. Questions first though:

Keep in mind that these questions are meant to be hard to answer and it is fine if you get some of them wrong. Just try to answer them to the best of your abilities!

1. You are playing as a chemist and notice how alot of people are dying rather rapidly and you are also starting to take damage. The CMO shortly afterwards confirms that there is a lethal stealth disease going around killing everyone. After managing to survive and curing the virus you readmin and check who created the disease. Meanwhile there’s two tickets regarding the disease coming in. The creator of the disease seems to have been a virologist traitor, objectives being to steal a supermatter sliver, the hand teleporter and to escape alive.
    After checking their notes you notice that they have one recent note regarding netspeak and another one regarding breaks of antagonist conduct. What if anything do you do?

2. A roboticist creates a teleporting mech and teleports around the station and not really doing anything else. What if anything do you do?

3. You notice that suddenly there’s alot of angry slimes dropping in the hallways and parts of medbay and the bar where the floors are blue, which start to attack people. Shortly afterwards an ahelp comes in from the xenobiologist self reporting saying that they accidently misclicked with the camera console and instead of putting the slimes into the pens they put them somewhere else. They seem to only have around 3-5 hours played on bee with an account created rather recently. How do you respond to the self ahelp and what if anything do you do?

4. You are admining on sage chilling when suddenly an normal admin joins the server and starts to trigger a couple events like vines, double nightmare and revenant. Afterwards they give a player deathsquad gear. After you ask them about it they say it’s because of an event where they want to have monsters fight the doomguy. Anything wrong with that? What if anything do you do?

5. You come straight fresh from training after you receive your permanent moderator ingame perms and admin a little. A player prays “Do your worst”. What do you do?

2 Likes

Gaming.

1. Bwoink and ask why they did it. Remind them that they cannot murderbone without DAGD or hijack objective, and server ban them for a week. Perhaps an antag ban would suffice as well, if they’re cooperative.

2. Sounds like an utility mech which is fine to build with no consent. Regardless of the situation, do nothing.

3. You can’t… place slimes outside xenobio, to my knowledge. I tested it on local even, to prove that. If this were somehow possible, I’d think this was done with ill intent, job ban them for 3 days.
    Unless you mean that they broke into the bar and medbay then fair game, yes. Advise them to be more careful in the future and apply no punishment.

4. It sounds like they did not ask a headmin if they could host this “event”, and is using this as an excuse to blatantly derail a round with adminbussing. I would proceed to report them to a headmin in that case. In the off chance that they did in fact ask for permission to host it, do nothing and enjoy the chaos.

5. Nothing. Moderators can’t adminbus.

4 Likes

This was a trick question and I don’t fault you for not catching it. Your response would’ve been good but you forgot that you got infected and harmed by said virus and are thus involved in the situation. Which doesn’t allow you to handle said situation.

Generally yes but you have to consider that the guy teleports around while not really doing anything else. This is a roleplay server and our rules say that you must roleplay. Context always matters but teleporting around constantly basically means you will never have any interactions with other players.

There is a certain crossbreed/extract that allows you to turn the floors blue which allows you to drop slimes outside of the xenobiology chambers. This guy knew exactly what he was doing and self ahelped to try to hide his grief knowing fully well that you would be a new moderator. The very new account and low hours played add onto this. Stuff like that doesn’t happen often, but when it does you better catch it!

Good answer.

Very good answer, you got the trap.

From what I recall I never really had a bad interaction with you. Your hours are on the low end of things which obviously is always a bit worrying but I wouldn’t consider it to be an issue. People have been accepted with less. Your record is good aswell. The question answers were a bit mediocre but these were really hard questions so I don’t fault you for that at all.

All in all I’m interested in how you would do as a moderator! +1

T: +2

5 Likes

Thank you for your time. Seems like I should play science more often. I will keep these things in mind in the future

2 Likes

Application itself is largely fine, although your playtime is fairly low all things considered. +0.5
Good luck.

T: +2.5

3 Likes

I’mma do questions then remember to give a +1 afterwards.
Also everything else looks great TBH, a lot of the answers are fine and even those that aren’t perfect are majorly the result of , well, not being a mod.

QUESTIONS:

1. Two players clearly do not like eachother this round, IC they keep messing with eachother (going into eachothers workplaces to shove or take things, insulting, etc etc. And they keep opening ahelps about eachother. For the sake of argument so far nothing worth punishing, how would you handle this?

B. In discord you see someone going on about how they had a “bullshit death” in game and how they had a (Rather questionable) gimmick they were trying to run. What action do you take.

The third one: ITS A CULT ROUND!
Only glowing eyes so far, but the chaplain is now wandering maintenance cutting down anyone they find with red eyes or eye protection. They have refused to give security holy water. What do?

5 Likes
  1. I wouldn’t dare disagree, but this sounds like a minor breach of rule 1 and 7. Kindly remind them that they must roleplay to an extent, and this is not a good example as I see it… Otherwise, I’d call this an IC issue.

2. Kindly ask them to take it to #the-salt-mines instead. Also, investigate this “questionable” gimmick, find out if anything was wrong with it too.

3. Ask them to stop immediately, and if they are non compliant, jail them and question them. Kindly explain to them that murderboning everyone they see, with or without red eyes or eye protection is against the rules, and breaks several of them. Depending on their past conduct, number of hours, bans, notes, I would give between a month or permanent, if they have a previous relevant record/extremely low hours.

After thinking about it further, perhaps a month is too harsh. Giving them a week ban sounds more reasonable, if they had no previous bans and only notes

4 Likes

Most of your question answers seem on par, although I’d like to mention that the HoS’s gun comes under High Risk items and the clown stealing and spacing it as a non-antag would come under rule 9.8

• Taking High Risk or Head of Staff items that are intended for use by a specific job other than your own is considered self-antag without a valid in-character reason.

Other than that things look good

+0.5

T: +3

3 Likes

Yes, I am aware now. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hello, three questions from me, I’m more interested in seeing what your thought process is rather than technical answers:

1. You are observing a round when you notice a traitor carrying 8 meth grenades loitering around the hop line, not saying anything. You notice the traitor has two steal objectives that have been completed, and has uttered five whole sentences since the beginning of the round 1 hour ago. Do you do anything?

2. You get an ahelp from an ex-admin reporting: “I saw jonathan Garland powergaming, he’s been tiding in all places and just grabbing tools, clearly LRP, yeet him please and thank you.” The player is an assistant with a toolbet and some tools. Logs show he has indeed been breaking into places like medbay and engi foyer. What do you do?

3. You are a fresh mod finishing a ticket, when an admin named “Harilis” states he doesn’t agree with the resolution you are going for, and begs you to reconsider. Things escalate when you decide to go with your first instincts, and the discussion gets seriously heated to the point that he starts hurling ad-hominem insults at you along some insensitive statements such as: “how are you even a mod, this is a disgrace to the fine institutions of Beestation”. He even challenges you to a formal duel, 19th century style. How would you proceed?

7 Likes
  1. Check if they have a murderbone objective first of all, and if they do, try to motivate them to roleplay more through IC methods and remind them they’re supposed to make the round more interesting for others, not only themselves (probably limited as a moderator). If they don’t have a murderbone objective, question their motives for carrying 8 meth grenades, and depending on how compliant they are, remind them that roleplaying is much more preferred to wordless antagonizing.

2. Check antagonist status, if they’re just regular crew
    but they’re breaking into places to, say, upgrade the vendors, tell them there’s alternative ways to get in, such as using basic communication. If all they’re doing is breaking in and stealing things, I’d contact them and ask them to stop what they’re doing and note them for this behavior. Non compliance would probably be met with a three day ban for powergaming and no roleplaying depending on their past history.

3. This is behavior extremely unfitting for a staff member, and as such reporting it to a senior admin or head admin sounds like the best solution to this issue. If they have an issue with how I handled a ticket, this is not the way to to about it. While I’m at it, ask the higher staff if I proceeded correctly with the ticket.

1 Like

Get +1’d!

T: +4

3 Likes

I am satisfied with all answers pretty much.

You’ll learn that head admins are the one in charge of mediating such issues while moderating staff. Senior mins are tasked with handling mentors and mod training/event perms.

The only issue is you ignoring Harilis’ duel provokation in question 3. Choosing not to defend your personal honor is a grievous mistake in my eyes. Men may reduce me to live without happiness, but they cannot compel me to live without honor

Despite this enormous blunder, I’ll still vote +1 on your app, I think you have what it takes to make a capable admin.

T: +5

5 Likes