Chemistry's role in medbay and on SS13

Howdy, I love chemistry.
You might know it is me behind chemistry with a random name when it is stocked up like crazy. But I am curious. I feel like chemistry is underappreciated.

Chemicals are only requested and otherwise rarely used. My last game I made over 300 Oxandrocyclic Acid pills, that is Oxandrolone and Salicyclic Acid combined, to help anyone treat their brute and burn damage in a pinch. 10 units each and it is very effective even labelled their effects, unit amount and OD amount as well. Everything to help people understand and make it easier to use. However, it seems like they largely went unnoticed and unused, never heard from anyone after the game even after I asked about it. I personally distributed them and even gave Security a full box of a total of 49 pills with them as they tend to get hurt.

I dislike the reputation Chemistry has, especially when in the same round a chemist failed to make meth, did make cyanide and probably some other harmful chemicals. A lot of people used to come up to me and request what’s already in the fridge. It’s like… does it not exist? During emergencies like the blob I even go as far as to bring an entire fridge with a ton of medicine to the area, then it gets quite a lot of uses!

Additionally. A few times I made an upgraded medkit. Which included pill bottles and such for a lot of varrying damage types. If I recall correctly it included a pill bottle of radiation, eye, ear, and brain medicine, two Atropine medipens and finally a bunch of synthflesh patches. I got a comment from my fellow chemist buddy saying it was amazing and they really liked it but don’t think people remembered it when they needed it the most.

Some specific questions I have:

Would you want a Oxandrocyclic Acid pill bottle on you?

Do you check chemistry fridges when you are wounded or need something?

Would you want an advanced medical emergency box?

What chemicals do you not see often but want from chemistry?

Do you know anything a chemist can do to assist in station wide threats like Blobs, Nukies or Rat’var cultists in regards to grenades and smoke machines? I’ve tried water machine during a blazing oil Blob but it changed before I could get it setup and also Meth grenades but despite being two tiles away from the core did nothing to it.

Thank you for reading this. It is quite late so I am sorry if I did something wrong! Hope I get to hear back from everyone reading!

2 Likes

I usually play a service worker, mainly botany. My somewhat limited interactions with chemists involve delivering carpotoxin and omnizine, asking if you have a spare 100u beaker, or via a doctor asking for a pill to heal a specific part of me (rads, ears, eyes. ect). I feel like part of the problem with the current chem is it seems more like a private manufacture of meds for hospitals, rather then a pharmacist (Maybe some more IRL pharmacist interactions could be explored). I would feel I am almost braking social norms by going to the chemist for meds over the doctor 4 ft away.

2 Likes

Haha! That’s interesting as the medicine is there in hope that doctors won’t be taken busy with minor injuries and only be busy by with real injuries which chemistry can’t fix. Like death and surgery.

1 Like

I’ll keep that in mind in the future and visit you then!
to answer the other questions:

• Would you want a Oxandrocyclic Acid pill bottle on you?
    I think a bottle would be overkill for anyone other then top command/doctors. One or two for combat roles: sec, explores, miners. would be nice though!

• Do you check chemistry fridges when you are wounded or need something?
    Rarely, as I’ve come across just a list of chems may times with no idea what one will fix me. But I will be sure to check in the future if they are labelled.

• Would you want an advanced medical emergency box?
    I think same as above. overkill for normal people, very useful for doctors or combat roles

• What chemicals do you not see often but want from chemistry?
    I think Pax could be useful for Warden. Lipolicide always useful if you get a little greedy.

• Do you know anything a chemist can do to assist in station wide threats like Blobs, Nukies or Rat’var cultists in regards to grenades and smoke machines? I’ve tried water machine during a blazing oil Blob but it changed before I could get it setup and also Meth grenades but despite being two tiles away from the core did nothing to it.
    Hmm I don’t really. Asking botany for holy melons would be a good idea, it usually the first thing I do, but we can find it difficult to use them in a effective way, without spending a decent time getting rng traits ect. there is also the option of becoming a temporary paramedic, handing out your pills as you will know best what you have made.

1 Like

Chemistry can be both considered one of those really important jobs you shouldn’t pester or request of unless its immediately important and one where the folks running the show usually don’t want to be pestered or take requests.

That in mind chemists don’t get requests normally from crew unless they know one two things. 1. The chemist has time on their hands or 2. The chem would be easy to make off the hop (space cleaner) or has components common to or of existing stock.

1. Is rare since chemists usually go from medbay projects to personal damn quick damn often and 2. Is RARER because you need to basically know chem or how to make the chemical yourself to pull it off. (Que ghetto chemistry)

People talk alot to bartender tho, so if rp and engagement are what you’re looking for, start serving drinks and memorizing the fastest methods to make BACCHUS BLESSING.

1 Like

You can get Large Beakers from the Service Lathe at round start. Service Lathe is usually found behind Botany apart from Delta where it is up the Service Corridor and Corg where it is in a tiny room opposite Botany.

2 Likes

Explosions are usually bad for all “Crew vs XXX” fights as there will always be someone that ignores everyone yelling at them to move and gets killed due to it.

Fridge Pills. You need to add what they heal for most people that don’t know the healing chems by names. I do check it, but usually I bring an injury to Med if on Blue to help relieve their boredom for waiting for someone to get hurt.

Those are what we call “acceptable casualties”.

1 Like

Can also print them at the Science and Cargo techfab.

better question.

where can’t you print off large beakers?

1 Like

And any normal non department lathe.

This was specifically targeted at Botanists.

Today I made this custom medkit. All named and with od limits.

2 Atropine pen
Brute n Burn Medicine pill bottle
-7 Oxandrocyclic Acid pills 10u each
Medication pill bottle
-1 Charcoal pill
-2 Inaculine pills
-2 Potassium Iodide pills
-2 Mannitol pills
Synthflesh pill bottle
-7 Synthflesh patches 40u each
2 Hepanephrodaxon bottles

image-24

Gave one to the Captain, HoS and miner. I think they appreciated it. Had more but blob ended the round.

What do y’all think of it?

4 Likes

I feel like I’m going to get banned for powergaming if I go within a mile of it

4 Likes

Natural selection

You gave it to the miners, you are a hero

1 Like

Takes sooooooo long to do them. Almost need a proper fucking chemist friend to be able to produce them fast enough for them to even be used. Tried it again another game and tried to get Kane the paramedic to assist me but he couldn’t and then xenos happened. All while my actual chemist bud had 200 units of Space Drugs in his veins.

Why so? Medbay is all about preparing. Every round without fail extra life stasis beds are made. Chemistry stocks up with synthflesh and whatnot. And so on. It is our job to help the wounded. It is like calling science power games for upgrading if they are not specifically needed. Right?

I’ve heard that Fluorosulfuric Acid grenades is good against blobs if you can get up doors or holobarriers. And it won’t instantly gib people if you mess up big time.

Tell the CMO when this happens, if the other chemist isn’t doing shit it’s their job to throw them out.

2 Likes