Character Development Thread

Hello. So I saw someone in the Discord talking about how there wasn’t a thread for the character development that was going on in the #character-jazz-longue so I decided to post the format here and allow others to post their character headcanons, hopefully in a much better environment with no character limits (fuck Discord nitro). Props to @Gilgax for the format!

• Name?
  • When did your Character start working for NT?
  • Have they always worked at ss13?
  • What is your character’s social circle like?
  • Are they popular or reclusive?
  • What hobbies does your Character have?
  • What kind of insecurities does your Character have?
  • What does your Character feel confident about?
  • What does your Character dream of doing with their life?
  • What is your Character scared of?
  • What kind of family life does your Character have?
  • What kind of secrets does your Character keep?
6 Likes
  • Name?

Truthbringer

During his young adult years as a way to earn money for his struggling family

He started off working oddjobs during his teens to sustain his family, later working for USSP at KS13,. During its destruction, he helped save many of his comrades by contacting a local moth fleet which granted them asylum, He needed a new way of life to sustain their family so ended up working for NT as engineering, janitoral, or security based on his past experience.

He is a lower caste of moth society. He inherited a simple name because they were very honest and loyal to whatever existing society they lived under. He is very much a peon in moth society but personal ambitions lead him to want to try and claim some honor for his family name and dynasty.

Honestly, a little mix of both, there are moments where he wants to socialize and be friendly and other times he wants to be left alone and brood. Whenever he’s stressed, he wants to be left alone generally.

He always liked doing engineering work and tinkering but also had to be somewhat robust and ready to defend himself, his family, or property based on his class status. So he has some experience shooting and fighting.

Truthbringer, as his name implies, is very averse to lying, he is very consciousness and even when he’s a Syndicate agent feels a lot of guilt for his actions. He’s had numerous instances of turning himself into security because of the guilty he felt for the crimes he did, especially if it harmed someone.

Whenever he’s being honest and true to himself, he is very motivated and righteous. He will go above and beyond to make sure the station does well since he knows what he is doing is right.

His biggest ambition for them is to be respected and have recognition, he has felt like his family has spent too long working in lowly positions and believes both he and his family name deserve more honor and respect than what currently exists

He is afraid of feeling like they failed or screwed up. He does not like to be seen as incompetent or stupid, and is very hard on himself whenever he does mess up.

His father is similar to himself but is less feminine than himself and this leads to some tensions between the two, however, he seeks to correct this by going above and beyond with his to prove he is good character and responsible. His moth mother is always there to provide some element of stability no matter what he does, and will support him through thick and thin and give him moral guidance.

I’m not really sure, I haven’t thought of that much unless its inround (like being Syndie agent :P)

4 Likes

Wooo, I didn’t think the questions were THAT good! Btw, I got most of the questions and only modified them a bit from this game: EMPTY CYCLE by Rookie Jet Studio LLC — Kickstarter check it out!

Anyway here’s Wisty’s answers to the questions that I posted on discord while I’m at it x)

• Name? Wisteria “Wisty” Jackson
  • When did your Character start working for NT? She was born a decade ago, and never seen any planetside
  • Have they always worked at ss13? Nope! Born on ss3, bounced around stations till she got to ss13, where she started working only a month ago before the events
  • What is your character’s social circle like? Have you met Wisty? You’re now her friend. No take backsies
  • Are they popular or reclusive? Popular duh, even if a bit overbearing
  • What hobbies does your Character have? Wisty just floats from hobby to hobby. Fashion? done that. Plushie collection? Yes please! Commiting warcrimes, unaware of the concept? [Redacted by NT lawyers]
  • What kind of insecurities does your Character have? Sometimes people are mean and she thinks it’s her fault :frowning:
  • What does your Character feel confident about? Helping! Her work will always involve helping someone, and she’s always there if you need a hand.
  • What does your Character dream of doing with their life? Wisty lacks any sort of future plan, be it to her whimsical nature of living in the present, or the brainwashing by NT done on oozelings to keep them subservient.
  • What is your Character scared of? Being alone!
  • What kind of family life does your Character have? Well, she doesn’t see them often, but uncle Jack who thought her how to drink (aka the xenobiologist that made her) and her brother and sister slimes back on ss3 sometimes get almost ineligible mail!
  • What kind of secrets does your Character keep? I mean it’s SORT of a secret (she’s just bad at keeping it), but one time she joined a faction of a nar’sien blood cult aboard one of the stations she worked at. At one point they had one of those mass suicides with poison in the punch kind of situations to honour Nar’sie, but because that crew didn’t understand how oozelings work, she just thought the poison was yummy and took a nap thinking everyone else was taking one as well. She woke up on a different station after that nap, reassigned by NT with no explanation.
3 Likes

Sparky’s Answers

Name?

Serena McCollogauh-Tarquin Neely Irish (plus maybe some more). Sparky works better.

When did your Character start working for NT?

Sparky started working for NT off the back of a uni degree in exotic chemistry and xenobiology. They started in the botany department, before getting transferred to science proper.

Have they always worked at ss13?

They did a lot of work before getting their degree, mostly bartending and contract work but they spent a bit of time in childcare. They’ve been all over the place.

What is your character’s social circle like?

Sparky likes people that will listen to them, and that can tell them things in turn. Mostly anyone that opens up or trusts them even a slight bit is now part of the team.

Are they popular or reclusive?

While these two things aren’t exactly mutually exclusive, I’d call Sparks pretty popular just off the frequency at which I play them. They get recognized often enough for me to notice.

What hobbies does your Character have?

Sparky’s into the occult. Tarot readings, candlelit seances, and other slightly less harmless stuff. Beyond that, they like to tinker with themselves and other pieces of machinery.

What kind of insecurities does your Character have?

Sparky always worries they’re not qualified to do what they’re doing when they’re outside a lab. Even when they almost certainly are, the only thing that can drown that fear is the simulated adrenaline of a stressful situation. Their only catharsis coming from events that almost inevitably hurt people is also a decent source of guilt. Also some self-worth and self in general issues in there.

What does your Character feel confident about?

Sparky is a problem solver. They solve problems, and see the pattern of things working out when they show up a whole lot more often than not.

What does your Character dream of doing with their life?

They want to end scarcity. They know they could do it, if someone with the resources to fund the venture picked up their research, but they don’t have any takers. They think it’s because the corporates don’t want to crash the markets and lose their power.

What is your Character scared of?

Sparky has three main fears. EMP’s, Crabs, and Nanotrasen.

What kind of family life does your Character have?

While the person that made them is decently dead, Sparky did act as the nanny of a somewhat wealthy human family’s children, and while the children have grown up and moved out she keeps in touch.

What kind of secrets does your Character keep?

Not a particularly secretive person, Sparky would happily talk about anything they were asked, and will also sometimes do so completely unprompted. For hours at a time. They barely restrain themselves at work, but outside of it they’re insufferable at times.

4 Likes

Posted from the discord
What’s your character’s name?: Kalavi Lumen (but you already knew that)
When did they start working for NT?: Kalavi Signed up in 254X, when he was 17

What’s your character’s social circle like?: Kalavi knows afew folks who regular the frontier station positions, but sucks at keeping in contact off his home ship. His life on his home ship is sortof a blur of sloth and relaxation, so no proper friends there.

Are they popular or Reclusive?: If you’ve heard the phrase SEC REFORM over coms, you already know who’s been placed in charge of station security, Nuff said.

What kind of insecurities does your character have?: “Am I robust enough?” “can I keep this secure?” “Is that enough ore to haul up?” “OH Z0RG THE BAR COUNTER IS EMPTY!”

What does your character feel confident about?: Keeping SEC civil, GETTIN MATS, mixin drinks and cookin. his aim.

What does your character Dream of doing in life?: Getting a massive plot of land in lavaland and running his own mining station, with mechs and PKAs and miners and survey teams. Failing that, achieving Full NT SEC reform.

What is your character scared of?: Losing fluff, Megafauna, One man security teams, occasionally medi-borgs.

what kind of family life does your character have?: Kalavi grew up on a less than wholesome part of moth fleet and never found out who his parents were.

What kind of Secrets does your character Keep?: there is something about fluff and affection, but this is saying too much. He also repressed most of the early 16 years of his life.

3 Likes
  • Name?
    • Vivyan Armstrong
    • Somewhat recently, about 2 years ago
    • No, Vivyan used to work as a contractor alongside their now ex on the shiptest sector.
    • Vivyan’s social circle mainly consists of those she sees as having something to teach her, whether it be philosophies, techniques, or abilities.
    • Vivyan prefers having a large social circle, but is quick to cut off those who have nothing else to teach her, or those who have served their use.
    • Reading, Socializing over drinks, studying station maps in order to plan future heists.
    • Fear of disappointing others, she’s often left feeling guilty for not being able to meet expectations or failure to complete a task. (Old habits die hard, i suppose)
    • Completing tasks, Vivyan is often quite dead-set on achieving a goal when sufficiently motivated.
    • Saving up enough to become augmented with the best augments money can buy.
    • Mildly discomforted by the presence of clowns, terrified to her core by spiders.
    • Not applicable
    • Her background, her goals, where she was in the year 2456.
2 Likes

Oh i like this, can’t wait to get home and fill it out :thinking:

• Name: Annoying Negative Agressive Hostile 000
  • When did they start working for NT: More like constructed,a few months or so ago
  • Have they always worked at ss13: She was pretty much born inside a robotics lab so maybe
  • What is her social circle like:I dont know what company she keeps, if annah is to socialize or need something she will go to you and negotiate
  • Are they popular or reclusive: selling things needs you contacts so annah will try to socialize to make more credits
  • What hobbies do they have: can hugging be a hobby? because everytime annah does it people tend to suffocate… so she does it rarely, pretending to smoke because its bad for the organics health, she cant die of shanser or thats how she says it, making a noose and hanging herself in plain sight, swimming? what the fuck.
  • What kind of insecurities do they have: not really sure what she is insecure about, they are pretty secretive
  • What do they feel confident about: She appears confident that nothing is wrong with her speach… but I see her speak normally under specific circumstances whats up with that.
  • What do they dream of doing with their life:Following directives, getting more money, take over the world(thats a joke I dont think they want to do that)
  • What are they scared of: She is pretty secretive I dont knwo… probably emp, chefs who use the food cart
  • What kind of family life do they have:Creators mass produced ipcs, they did not care about developing them, 000 basically the first batch they produc-
  • What kind of secrets do they keep:Annah hash noh shecretsh whatshoeverh
2 Likes

sounds fun…

• Name - Violet Nitrieva
  • When did your Character start working for NT - internal NT education from birth,
    internship (at 16 human years), full deployment (at 20 human years)
  • Have they always worked at ss13 - yes
  • What is your character’s social circle like - people of all groups that happen to work/live with/near. im im fine with all social groups the more diverse the more knoledge stories and secrets
  • Are they popular or reclusive - will make myself polupar/infamous… one way or another
  • What hobbies does your Character have - thinkering. both with metal,circuit and flesh… storytelling and storykeeping… messy “adventures”… partying
  • What kind of insecurities does your Character have - i fear for other’s safty especially if they are not an oozeling aka flimsy… i dont like to be ignored… i hate secrets kept away i must know…
    i dont like the voices’s attitude
  • What does your Character feel confident about - my skills are good i protect good… im hardy…
    i know much all the secrets to
  • What does your Character dream of doing with their life - the future is to far i cant think that far
  • What is your Character scared of - space… really big open spaces. like those planets they keep taking about… that red cult
  • What kind of family life does your Character have - what’s a familly?
  • What kind of secrets does your Character keep - drink to forget drink to keep my head quiet
3 Likes
  • Name?
    Taylor Fisher
    Roughly a decade or so ago, from his early 20s at least.
    Mostly. Had a few odd jobs under NT before taking a cargo position on the station side
    Lots of acquaintances, very few close friends
    Certainly speaks to a lot of people, but opinions of him range from “okay” to “bastard”
    Hauling freight and sitting at the bar, but mostly work in general. Likes to have a few odd jobs or projects running on the side
    He’s a little concerned that most his achievements come from delegation and that he’s a little lost on his own
    The world of freight and shipping manifests.
    Either earning enough to buy a personal shuttle and going into private cargo sale or dropping dead of old age in a Nanotrasen Cargo Bay
    Winding up in Central Command cargo where all you do is sit on your ass and do paperwork. A fate worse than death. Probably some of the bigger lavaland beasties as well, but that’s a pretty rational fear
    Son of Dinky the Clown who hasn’t been seen in a while. Sometimes has an ex wife depending on if I think it’s funny at the time or not. Had a roboticist cousin who helped topple a Nanotrasen conspiracy
    Holds some anti-Nanotrasen tendencies, though a lot of his anti-authoritarian instincts have dwindled with age
3 Likes

Name?

Plutonium XXI

When did your Character start working for NT?

As soon as the convicted felon’s body hit the Colonids in the liquid pool of plasma and emerged. Probably ten or fifteen years has passed since then.

Plasmaman lore is wack, I swear a month ago it was that they were a socially stratified merchant civilization

Have they always worked at ss13?

Yes. Little hard to jump ship when your continued existence is dependent on getting plasma.

What is your character’s social circle like?

I don’t think I’ve played this static long enough to get enough of a social circle to really say, but I get along with anyone who doesn’t APPROPRIATE PLASMAMEN CULTURE BY WEARING AN ENVIROSUIT HELMET WHEN THEY AREN’T A PLASMAMAN

Damn you powergamers

Are they popular or reclusive?

I think given enough time they would be popular, since I enjoy talking and RPing. Haven’t had enough play time to get recognized yet.

What hobbies does your Character have?

One of Plutonium’s favorite hobbies is to call out injustices against Plasmamen kind as often as he can. Wearing an envirosuit helmet? CULTURAL APPROPRIATION. Denying me something 4noraisin? BIGOTED TOWARDS PLASMAMEN. Attack me? HATE CRIME.

What kind of insecurities does your Character have?

He is squishy and he knows it. Some people would call keeping this in mind and not running straight towards danger cowardice but Plutonium is STREET SMART and THINKS ON HIS FEET and lives to fight another day and IS NOT A COWARD. And if an Asiimov AI tries to ignore him or go against his wishes he has a premade speech to prove how he is ~99.5% human and thus the AI needs to listen to him.

What does your Character feel confident about?

He feels confident that SOP is essential for Command and Security and takes pride in never using contraband or leaving it unsecured, wordlessly raising alert, performing warrantless searches on green alert, etc. He also tries to give people the benefit of the doubt and ascribe reasonable purposes to peoples actions when in positions of power.

What does your Character dream of doing with their life?

Getting enough money to quit his job and explore the cosmos in the space equivalent to a dinghy.

What is your Character scared of?

Dying. No good very bad no fun time dying as a plasmaman. He’s actually been chucked in the morgue despite having a soul by a doctor who couldn’t figure out how to revive him. CMO caught them, arrested them, and brought them to the brig thinking they were trying to round remove him.

What kind of family life does your Character have?

Plasmamen lore doesn’t exactly leave a whole lot of room for a direct family, so instead Plutonium feels a deep brotherly bond with any fellow plasmamen he sees.

What kind of secrets does your Character keep?

The constant posturing about the primacy of plasmamen culture and whatnot is a front based on the feeling of insecurity and isolation in the workplace he feels as a result of being a rare race. He also tries to never kill someone if he can help it even as security. He extends his fear of death to others and tries to bring people in non lethally if at all possible.

2 Likes

taylor fisher… fish… FISHING…
your EXWIFE IS MARINA WHO DIVORSED YOU WHEN SHE LEARNED YOUR FAMILLY DID FISHING… I FOUND THE TRUTH

5 Likes

No, Taylor is just a heathen.

4 Likes

4 Likes
  • Name?
    Lowwy Thorley

19, though his current age is dynamic depending on his job, the higher up in the chain the older he is, ending at security officer where he is basically an old fool

Has worked at many other stations, transferring stations usually because of -see secrets

Has a few close friends

Reclusive mostly

N/A - no more time for hobbies

The fact that he might not be able to save everyone.

His medical skills & knowledge

Not being able to reach his goal before it’s too late. Losing the few people close to him

He met his wife while working as a Paramedic aboard a space station. after they married and had gotten a daughter his wife has been struck with the infamous “Space Sleep Disorder” (SSD).
    He would not, could not accept that there is no cure for it and made it his life goal to cure the SSD, while his daughter takes care of her mother’s body.

Curing his wife from the “Space Sleep Disorder” (SSD) and go back to the good old life without shady deals

Malpractice, theft, blackmail, deals with the syndicate, anything that might bring him closer to finding the cure for SSD.
    Is on self-prescription drugs “Happiness”, and genetically modified himself with “Smile” all to stay sane from the otherwise unbearable guilt

2 Likes

Orion Galatea considers death an old friend.
Thrice, he has relaxed into the sweet embrace of oblivion.
Thrice, the galaxy has torn him from his restful slumber.
His first death was back at 212-B. The station where he grew up. The system, Ander’s Reach, it’s called, was abandoned by Solgov after the colony was declared “non-viable” by the bureaucrats back home.
Now, usually, Solgov is meant to send a series of transport vessels to pick up the colonists in the half-settled system.
Usually.

Orion found out later that some political party was voted out, some other group of chooms paid their way into office, and a bunch of the expensive commitments from the previous government were “lost”, to deliver on the new party’s cost-cutting promises.
That “mistake” resulted in around twenty thousand humans getting stuck in a system with no rocky planets. No recurring supply deliveries, and no hope.
All the unlucky colonists were left with was a couple prefab mining platforms out in the large asteroid belts of the system, a couple in-system ships that were barely more than fusion tugs with refinery/lathe constructs built into them, and the spiteful will to live, so that one day, they might be able to get back to human space and make those murderers in well-tailored suits pay. That spiteful dream is what drove them, and still drives many denizens of the system.

Orion was 12, when his parents died in the starvation riots. When his family was torn apart. He didn’t know what happened to his parents, but he did know that the nutrient recycler worked fine that week.
Orion, and his 8-year-old sister, Lily, were left to fend for themselves. Luckily, they were able to make money just fine, crawling through maintenance tunnels and hull voids for the adults, fixing life support systems and electrical failures.
Child labour was a necessity on the belts of Ander’s Reach, after the population dropped.

The people of Ander’s Reach began to exalt the idea and importance of personal life support, after the last of the oxygen reclaimers fell into disrepair and the only source of good air became entirely reliant on the electrolytically separated ice asteroids that the miners supplied.
It became an ideology, a religion, of sorts.
You wore your gas mask at all times. When the time came to eat, or drink, you said a prayer, or mumbled a jinx, or simply took a deep breath, and removed the gas mask.
You can always tell an Ander’s Reach colonist, because they never take off their gas mask. And when they do, there’s a creeping phobia in their eyes. A kind of agoraphobia, gripping them.

As the years went by, the situation in Ander’s Reach went from hopeless to merely desperate.
The first of the farmhabs were built. Using the last of the supplies from the initial settlement and a truly heroic effort from the colonists, the first of the large, gently spinning stations turned hard-won water, carefully stored human waste and diligently mined asteroid regolith into a hydroponics system.
Food, from naught but starlight and cold stone.
The slow march back to sustainability had begun.

The population of the system had dropped, now down to the low thousands. But the hunger riots were over. Order was taking hold. The people had built from blood and spite and hope and love a place where the asteroids and the light of Ander’s star was all they needed to survive. The people by this time were a community like few others. A social circle, tight-knit around shared trauma and values.

At 17, Orion was working as an asteroid miner when a gas pocket depressurized and sent several tons of dirty snowball careening toward him. The impact caused catastrophic injury; Orion’s right arm was pounded into paste, and at the best estimate of the Ander’s Reach doctors, 20% of his shoulder had been pinched as well. That was the first time Orion died.
The doctors on the station gave him drugs for the shock, and defibrillated him when his heart stopped.
Lily stayed by his side the entire time.
When he came to, as he recovered slowly in the medical centre that had up until recently been used as a butcher’s shop, Orion realised that the only way he was going to get a new arm, the only way he was going to be able to support Lily, was finding work in the core worlds.
With a heavy heart, Orion said goodbye to his friends, his community, his found family. Lily refused to be left behind. She swore she would sneak onto any ship Orion tried to board, if he tried to leave her behind.

Transports, mostly traders, had started occasionally stopping by the system after it had begun to produce valuable goods. Orion paid for passage in platinum bars, the recently agreed system currency, and proceeded back into human space. It was there Orion found work (and a corporate sponsored prosthetic) as an explorer for Nanotracen. It was there that his new career began. It was there Lily started working, and eventually got a scholarship at New-Gibson university, studying programming, with a minor in robotics.

Orion’s future had, at last, begun.

4 Likes
  • Name?
    Cara Garrison
    Straight out of medical school at the tender age of 26
    Nope.
    Upper class, but small. Despite coming from a family of wealth, she doesn’t have that many friends.
    Probably more reclusive over popular.
    Playing the violin. Visiting art galleries. Laughing at the suffering of others behind their back.
    Her mental state. She knows that there’s probably something wrong with the way she handles things, but she thinks going to a psychiatrist will only make things worse.
    Her ability to perform surgery and diagnose ailments. She considers her medical skills to be the best around, and all the other doctors second rate (she doesn’t say this out loud because she doesn’t want to hurt her colleague’s feelings.)
    Talking to a psychiatrist about her mental state.
    She’s a Daddy’s girl by heart. Her father pampers her with money and gifts to this very day. Her relationship with her mother is less than stellar. Due to the fact that out of all the possible jobs she could have chosen, she chose a backend station at the edge of space to work at.
    Enjoys drinking lizard tail wine.
3 Likes

Prodding this in game ASAP with R.A.I.N.C.A.L.L.E.R.

2 Likes
  • Name?
    Julian Hardy
    The Original Julian started his work with NT at around the age of 20
    The Original Julian was originally stationed on ss5, as an assistant willing to do anything for anyone. It was on this station he was given a ship and an experimental cloner by a close friend Explorer of his. This is when the fuckton of clones came about.
    He has a few friends, most of which are aboard the ss13 in most shifts. The rest are all fucking clones.
    Since most of the Julain clones share memories, they can recognize people easily. This has lead to a lot of interactions from old and new friends. Especially the Prosecutor Julian, who has a defense lawyer moth friend.
    Depending on the Clone and whatever the fuck the HoPline decides, it can range from replacing lights to managing a whole new department.
    None of the clones like to talk about the Mime HoP clone or the Radstormmed Female clone.
    They all believe they can do whatever they are assigned to the best of their abilities.
    Most Clones strive for the position as HoP, HoS, or RD. Most of these Clones that achieve their goal usually end up dying mid-shift sadly.
    Every Clone and even the Original all fear the soulless killers.
    All. Fucking. Clones. Jesus christ.
    There are some clones that dabble in the illegal arts. Syndicate, even.
2 Likes

Mu’s turn!

• Name?

Mu Baker! It wasn’t always that, though…

When I woke up from a long nap. At 27, duh. So roughly a year ago, maybe.

I can’t really remember my old jobs. They’re always fuzzy.

Slowly growing. I like to make friends, as they always have your back.

Reclusive at first but if you give me the chance I’ll try to warm up quickly.

Writing rarely. Gave up art a long time ago. Mostly talking and photography. Might get into growing houseplants.

Feeling like I don’t belong. For obvious reasons.

My ability to listen and make connections with others.

Still figuring that out…I guess see another planet’s surface? Maybe?

The dark, abandonment, losing self control

My family’s long gone. Though I honestly miss them, I can’t really see them anymore. I kinda regret my decision sometimes.

I’m older than I look. That’s all I’m really allowed to tell, NDA and all.

5 Likes