Cargo Remastered and External Affairs, a retuning of Cargonia

Being a frequent member/observer of the Cargo/Supply department has tuned me into several issues that I think could be addressed, both on station and on Lavaland with Shaft Miners. To summarize the current issues I perceive with both halves of the department:
CARGO TECHNICIANS:

• The services that Cargo offers to other departments is minimal at best, with most if not all cargo purchases only made to benefit Cargo itself. The two exceptions being Mindshields and Weapons.
  • From my perspective this is mostly due to there being little in the way of required resources; departments are mostly self-sufficient and can get by without ordering anything.
  • Aside from the joke Bicycle item, Cargo lacks significant late-game money sinks.
    SHAFT MINERS:
  • Miners feel significantly more attached to the Science department than Cargo. Aside from BZ Farms on Lavaland, the Quartermaster and Cargo Technicians hardly interact. Even though the two share the ‘Supply’ designation, they feel much more distinct than, say, Chemist and Virologist.
  • Lavaland Balance is shaky at best. Most if not all outcomes are heavily deterministic on RNG; Tendril spawns and drops being the most significant. The difference in power between a Diamond Pickaxe and a Mysterious Core is massive, with the later being potentially round-changing. Megafauna (Which are again slaves to the RNG system in that only Hierophant and Legion are guaranteed to spawn, but the issue goes beyond that. Ash Drakes in particular have a loot pool that can result in the slayer’s main reward being a debuff (Ash Lizard Transformation), or a virtually unstoppable force in the Lesser Ash Drake transformation.
  • Megafauna in and of themselves are a massive balancing issue. Entire systems have been created to prevent easy kills or other exploits. And of course, there is also the issue of them getting onto the Station Z-Level, where they can often be completely unstoppable.

All of this being said, here is a quick summary of the changes I would make to address these issues. This is mostly putting out an idea that I have certainty will never be implemented.
The biggest and most relevant change would be to separate Shaft miners into their own department labeled External Affairs. The job layout in both Cargo and this new department will be as follows:

CARGO:
Quartermaster
Cargo Technician
Coordinator
EXTERNAL AFFAIRS:
External Affairs Officer
Shaft Miner
Field Paramedic

Allow me to go in-depth on these departments and what each role, specifically the new ones, would do.
CARGO REMASTERED:
In its new state, Cargo will keep the ability to purchase their current crates and sell items for credits, but this will no longer be their main purpose. A reworked Bounty system gives the Quartermaster agency to pick time-limited bounties from Centcom (Generated at random). The new Coordinator job will serve as a dedicated role with basic, universal department access(Not AA, just enough access to, say, get into the Medbay lobby, Brig, Science and Engineering lobbies) to obtain bounty items. Items submitted via the Cargo Shuttle that are directly requested by Centcom will reward the department with both credits, a new reputation statistic, as well as grant Cargo the ability to purchase new varieties of crates. As Cargo accumulates more reputation from submitting bounties, Centcom will start to offer more difficult bounties (Basic bounties may be things such as simple foods or slime extracts while later bounties would require things like specific Slime Crossbreeds, Viruses with certain symptoms, rare chemicals, large amounts of power in storage, Hyper Noblium) If Cargo can accumulate enough reputation with Centcom, they will gain the ability to purchase extremely useful and even exclusive items, such as fully complete exosuits, ERT and Deathsquad gear, unique diseases and chemicals, Bluespace Shelter-like items that can produce ships or rooms, rare pets or, with extremely costly bounties, Marauder and Seraph-Class Exosuits.
Reward would not come without risk, however. Similar to the Heretic Target system, the Quartermaster will be given the choice of one of three randomly-selected bounties, which each display the credit, reputation and crate unlock reward, and a time constraint. If the bounty is not fulfilled in time, some reputation will instead be lost. The Quartermaster should be given a time limit to also choose which bounty, to prevent him from waiting to choose until the bounty item is obtained.

EXTERNAL AFFAIRS:
The External Affairs department would be based in the station areas where the current Aux Base is located (On Pubbystation, the Maints above Departures instead). The purpose of the department is the same as Mining: Supply the station with resources. Instead of having mining be an accessory to the combat and exploration offered by shaft mining, however, it will now be intertwined.
Mining Research will no longer exist (To the relief of the Scientists). Items such as Bluespace Sachels and Plasma Cutters will be purchasable from the start VIA Mining Equipment Vendors. A simple change will force Shaft Miners into doing their job to obtain their better gear and PKA upgrades, while having the added benefit of no longer slaving R&D into using the first ten minutes of the shift on their research.
Necropolis Tendrils will be retuned into Necropolis Lairs. These will take the form of staircase-functional holes that lead into a separate Z-Level, where a randomly pre-generated dungeon will have a Necropolis Chest at the end. To access Necropolis Lairs, you will require the use of Necropolis Stablizers… an item purchasable for a small amount of mining points. Additionally, Miners can use their Mining Scanner to determine the difficulty of the dungeon inside, with Advanced Mining Scanners additionally displaying the reward at the end. Difficulty will scale with reward: dungeons containing Boat-In-A-Bottles will be relatively simple while ones containing Mysterious Cores would be long, treacherous and properly scaled to drop such a useful item.
Megafauna will no longer spawn in random locations on Lavaland. Instead, The Necropolis (The enormous structure at the north of Lavaland) will serve a new purpose. The current Ash Drake statues on the outside will be replaced with one statue of each Megafauna, which can be activated with Necropolis Stabilizers. Only one statue can be activated at a time. Once activated, any number of miners can enter the room within the Necropolis, which acts as an elevator, to enter a section of the earlier mentioned Z-Level. There, they will be given a sizeable arena to fight whatever Megafauna they chose, locked within a self-contained arena that cannot be escaped until either all challengers are defeated, or the Megafauna is. An alternate choice could be offered by instead requiring Miners to activate the Statue with a Legion Core. Doing so would provide a more difficult version of the encounter for greater rewards tuned for multiple Miners to fight at once, with either more health on the Megafauna or a more difficult arena layout. The harder fights would provide the victors with the most powerful drops in Lavaland, such as a confirmed Lesser Ash Drake transformation, at an extreme challenge.
Finally, there will be an addition of one, final purchasable in the Mining Equipment Vendor. For an extreme amount of points, miners will be able to purchase an item to activate the Gateway, relocated into their new department. This would give the currently-defunct structure a proper home and use.
Moving on to the new jobs in the Mining Department, the External Affairs Officer (Or Expedition Leader, whatever is preferred) serves as a new Head of Staff. The EAO spawns in the External Affairs department’s control room, where they will be given access to multiple terminals and systems they can use to track Miners. Shaft Miners’ jumpsuits will be fitted with a camera the EAO can look out of, to observe his miners’ progress. Mainly, however, it will serve as a way for dead miners to be located and retrieved. The EAO will also be granted the ability to join his miners himself, on both Lavaland and in Gateway Expeditions. For unique equipment, he can be provided with a unique Proto-Kinetic Crusher, with its ranged function doing the same damage as a PKA in addition to marking the target: the ultimate fauna-slaying tool. His cape, and the color thematic of the department as a whole, would be a dark green.
The Field Paramedic would be a role similar to Brig Physician, in charge of retrieving, reviving and healing Miners both in and out of the field. On their downtime, they can join the EAO in watching the progress of the Miners, before heading out into Lavaland to retrieve and surgically revive them in their own small medical room.
Thank you for coming to my ted talk I appreciate it have a nice shift

3 Likes

YES this has to be added, Buuut, Can you code it?

Bumping for more traffic. Fresh ideas to expand old content are always appreciated.

Bumping to coders notice since like all the ideas but the one with the arena being on a separate Z-level. How exactly would defeaters miner be retrieved? Would they be teleported to the outside of the building on the Lavaland Z-level? Would the opponent despawn? Can you change the opponent when one is already active?

Ideally I would think that death to megafauna would mean your body is irretrievable, as it is against all fauna except Legion and Ash Drake in the current moment. And when defeated, after the loot is dispensed, moving into the elevator and shutting the inner door moves you back to the Lavaland Z-Level. As long as someone is within the Necropolis arena, the statues cannot be interacted with. And if someone is slain by Megafauna, they would be despawned. If you select an opponent but don’t go in, you should be able to change it though.

Despite being an avid coder I have no experience with the Byond engine. I could very well give it a shot, but this was moreso an idea dump than anything

1 Like

I honestly have the same issue. The introductions on how to work with byond code are… lackluster, to say the least. I wish SS14 and the other projects have some nice improvements so that maybe at some point we get Java, C++ or C# code to work with.

Everytime I play medical I try to order a crate of synthflesh at roundstart.

plenty of people have ideas, plenty of people can code, very few are both

1 Like

I think the issue is even more specific. A lot of those having ideas can code but… not necessarily byond. Ugh i want SS14 to succeed so badly.

Also if youre going to make shaft miners into their own department you could tie that into a game mode where the crew fends off ashlander antags while trying to reach a mining qouta.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

In a non-mocking manner, those items are admin only for a reason. 50 damage full-auto 200 round rifles that can instantly break reinforced walls are not designed to be on station. 600 health mechs with an 80% chance to block attacks, a faster movespeed than a human and 52 damage stunlock punches are not designed to be on station.

4 Likes

You can’t have admin only stuff

3 Likes

Just so you dont need to actually ask them to stuff and silently take items you need.

Sounds cool but I dont think it would be possible to code that in byond without making server die

Extreme challenge is not real in ss13, everything is cheesable.

mining gamer gear is not enough?

“head of staff” with no use whatsover and in the end just much better miner

Marauder and Seraph-Class Exosuits.

Sorry, but the only way you can get maintainers to approve this is to somehow make it xenobiology or virology. Those departments can get away with super-powergamey shit.

Bluespace Shelter-like items that can produce ships

Me likey…

1 Like

But why?

as an avid cargo player i feel morally obliged to comment on some stuff

deathsquad loot for cargo is a joke and would only make the powergamery aspect of cargo much, much worse. More endgame crates would be nice, after your 3rd or 4th bike it kinda ruins the magic. If i could add any crate id go for a sword crate entirely because i like swords.

Timed bounties seem like a bad idea, round are chaotic and if you ask anyone for bounty shit, let alone viro or botany who i find often dont get back to you at all, you can never know if they show up at cargonias gate in a minute, or PDA you an hour later telling you that theres no MATs so they’re not doing it. On top of that, it sacrifices the downtime where cargo can really shine with some shenanigans only they could pull off.

Cargo can offer a lot of services, it just happens not a lot of people use it. I often get orders for engine parts or medical supplies moreso than weapon or mindshield orders from sec. Having crates that are more useful to science could be nice to encourage cargo-science interactions, but i feel like mining and MATs are already a sizeable link between the two. I also think HoP should get encouragement to spend the service budget on requests from botany/bar/kitchen more and not just hoard it for themselves especially since a lot of the orders are designed specifically for the service jobs (the same hoarding issue goes for every head, but the HoP is often less likely to spend it for their department than anyone else).

I totally agree with the miners having cameras on their jumpsuits idea, they go MIA with no way of tracking them way too often. I think a whole new job is a bit much, and should just be given to the lavaland camera console the QM already starts with (Though the miners having a “man in the chair” guy sounds really funny for no reason other than the amount of Deep Rock Galactic i’ve been playing).

The entire idea with reputations sounds a bit too… complicated. Cargo, to me, is an introductory role and this sounds a tad too much for the average newbie. Cargo should be a group of lads pushin boxes and making dumb gimmicks, its supposed to be a simpler job.

I do, however, think cargo needs a rework. Just not quite one like this.

1 Like

Really the Exosuits were just an example and in no ways definitive things; realistically I think that a better option would be advanced Nanotrasen variants of existing tech: Syndicate Sleepers for instance are significantly more robust than normal ones. Perhaps you could purchase advanced Nanotrasen Sleepers that can inject even more unique chemicals, or even purchase better cloners. Just along those lines.
The Dungeon system could easily be implemented in the same way the Holodeck is programmed, by loading and unloading preset dungeon tiles.

I agree with you in many aspects. Perhaps the timing aspect could be removed entirely, and see my above comment for an alternative set of rewards.
In regards to making the job more complicated, that’s why I think the addition of a Coordinator job would be stellar; to keep Cargo Techs similar in responsibilities while making the system more robust and in-depth.

1 Like

SHH! DONT TELL THEM THAT!

No coders, Xenobio is not OP. It needs a buff. Very underpowered!