Balancing Genetics

Functional area mood multiplier, in areas with positive and negative mood affects now have twice the effect and slightly change the moodlets upon checking.

Advanced examination, when examined, players with Transcendent olfaction physical status as though the had been medical scanned, no information disease cure information and only to other players with Transcendent olfaction.

1 Like

Why does genetics need to exist? What does it even add to the round and to the story of the game?
From a design perspective I think that genetics is a complete failure of a job role and doesn’t serve any purpose for the progression of the round and could be easilly removed.
It needs a complete redesign in my opinion (Virology has the same issues).

3 Likes

I think genetics is just another thing that Nanotrason is researching, and also I think it’s a good beginner job for people just starting to play SS13.

taking toys out of the sandbox is not the answer to keeping the game fun.

4 Likes

Kero could easily say this of the majority of station jobs. Kero believes the only “vital” jobs are station engineer, medical doctor and security officer. Everything else is flavor and fluff with no truly driving purpose. Flavor and fluff makes the game interesting.

Kero believes explorers, virologists xenobiologists to be particularly extra given how isolated they are from the rest of the station. Explorers considerably moreso than the other two for not even being anywhere near the station in addition to providing almost nothing for it, except what was shifted to them during their introduction.

Kero also sees explorers commonly called for removal except by people who play the role.

2 Likes

Something to add on that could be done pretty well is maybe have mutations be more unstable the lower tier parts you have? So like maybe at tier 1 the mutations mutator you print only allow you to have one powerful mutation, while higher tier parts will have more stable mutators that at max tier have the normal instability numbers as they do now.

could change it so it still scans mutations, but doesn’t tell you what mutations they even are (except for the mutations that they do have unlocked). Part of scanning allows you to upload DNA into the console that can help reduce the amount of X-X’s you have in genes, feel like I have to mention this because I feel like scanning and storing sequences greatly helps genetics and I would not like it if that was removed.

This I really like, though I’m unsure how it would look to implement that. Part of me imagines a rework of genetics, and maybe some kind of machine that lets you grow some hideous/weaker version of a teratoma that is a human-lizard hybrid clone of that lizard that would then allow the mutation found within that individual to be able to be compatible to humans.

Could be a mutation that a nightmare could inject in itself (bad idea I know but still a possibility)

Honestly, I could see this as a way to see those that are invisible. You would be able to see at least people who through organic means blend into the environment.

Mutator pod, a pod that you throw a Moke in and then start horrid and reckless, total biological twisting by hyjacking the monkey gene and transforming the monkey into a Lizkey, mohkey “ape-id” or “grod-ila” ETC, it ONLY fits monkeys and a full blown humanoid is too big to put in.

The pod does cellular damage over time and basically kills the monkey a while after mutation, meaning you can’t just use one monkey for all your tests unless the pod is upgraded and or you preform life prolonging medical action to prolong the death deserving creature’s life.
using the pod and being in presense of the horrid affront to ethics and nature gives a mood debuff, you sick, twisted god-player.

ALTERNATIVELY!

once again hyjack the Monkey gene, this time have information tied to the species of the creature contained within the gene that has to be read, with adjustments made to both the mutator and gene itself to offer full compatability.

BONUS: a secondary “primitive form” thats basicly the monkey-not-monkey form of lizzards, moths, apids, grods ETC, because a moth turning into a moke after getting a gene of it’s own activated makes no sense.

1 Like

Oh my god, they can literally devolve into little lizards and moths!!! That would be so cute, it must be done! Monkification could be changed to Devolution as its name or something.

1 Like

I’m not sure how up for spriting that, but it’d be interesting.

Moths : can now fully fly, have effectively permanent magboots and are now essentially permanently laying down, however they lack the grab speed of monkeys, have a speed de-buff and and lack a hand.

Apids: similar to moths, but instead of wings everything they eat turns to honey shortly there after.

Lizzards : now have a robust bite attack, also permanently laying down, again only only one hand.

No idea on what to say about grods.

Thats all the good mutations, makes genetics useless, Unless we have a way to reroll them so it’s pick and choose or get lucky

Kero is uncertain if he should even humor a response to you given your history of intentional shitposting, but kero will try anyway.

The entire point of Kero’s post, and indeed of this entire thread, is that being able to pick and choose specific mutations has created a metagaming problem.

Kero’s solution is to ensure everyone always has access to at least one powerful mutation, but that they do not get to choose which it is. You get a neat power, based on your personal genetic lottery.

Oh my goodness, yes. The moth just becomes moth plush sprite.
moff plush petting

3 Likes

Since we’re talking about additions and expansions i guess this is a good time to post my iconic copy-pasta of genetics ideas i had a couple of months ago, we recently had a nice addition of mutations and i think they were well received (rip funny 40 damage northstar gloves felinid claws) tbh most of mine are focused to either be cosmetic or to give other species mutations so they can also hang around on genetics

Lizards:

• Reinforced scales: The mutation makes them a little bit more resistant to brute damage but they get a little bit slower
  • Blood sockets: They can squirt blood from their eyes briefly blinding their target (range 1-3 tiles)

Moths:

-Bagworm affinity: They’re able to cast a cocoon around themselves healing them… not so much. but they can chill there.
-Rainbowy wings: The Moth wings gets a multi-color variation to scare predators away and look fancy!

Ethereals:

Light manipulator: The mutation makes the ethereal being able to manipulate light particles in an area to produce a ball that they can consume (or throw?) to regain food.
Shock Touch: Perhaps it could be moved to make it exclusive to Ethereals.

Apids:

-Sting: They’re able to grow on command a sting on their hand to defend themselves and poison whoever gets injected, everytime they use it (long cooldown though) they receive a little bit of health damage to mirror the bees losing their sting
-Noisy: From time to time they produce bee sounds when they walk, kinda like the one they make with apid dash
-Stronger wings: With this mutation they can fly on low gravity, (0currently removed from apids would be a good add)
-Queen’s Gene: They’re now able to summon a bee to assist them and fly near them, long cooldown to avoid spameability

Squid People: REDACTED

-Ink sacks: This mutation awaken the hidden defense mechanism deep rooted in the dna of squid people to let them throw an ink sack in a direction of 1-3 tiles to blind temporally their aggesor so they can escape(same concept as the blood sockets or alternative they create a little dark cloud as to mirror when they do it on water to blind their prey)
-Natural glowy: This mutation makes them glow in the dark, since some squids are capable of doing that.
-Improved eyesight: The mutation finish polishing their almost perfect eyes to make them uncapable of becoming blind (everything else they can get affected)

In any case we should take little bits from other stations and see how they’ve balanced genetics themselves, TG to give an example removed some, added some and moved the department to science

I think it would be nice if everytime genetics discover a mutation they would get an X amount of Research Points and Discovery Research so that helps with the early lack of points caused by different reasons

And i feel like Sec/Crew grabbing Thermal/SA is how they would also grab the free plants from botany, nanites, xenobio, (insert local department mass distributed thing) i believe most of these stuff need to require the interaction between the worker and the requested instead of mass-producing it so everyone can self-serve and thus leading them to adquire powergamey things or stuff that really don’t need, that’s why the genetics computer being only accesed by the geneticist/CMO/RD was a good change because we had a two months were it became the norm for a geneticists to make three public consoles outside with SA/Thermal/Insulated

I believe since this is something that has their own equivalent on almost every department it’s something that ends up in a situation where either it gets nerfed into oblivion, straight up removed or it relays on admemes watching players to not break the rules of powergame / having faith that players will slowly learn that it’s no bueno to have insuls + sa + thermal + no maidens 4noraisin

as usual ofc ?wyci

1 Like

Sorry goat, not quite, I was thinking something along the line of horizontally oriented quadrupedal type motion for both moth and lizzards, hence the 1 hand slot, i supose that wasn’t very clear. it’d probably look something like moving the head sprite and wing sprites around on the moth, with moving the head sprite and adding a fitting quadrupedal sprite for the body.

I considered because they’d be quadrapedal and smaller, that they could then be considered “laying down” height wise.

Horizontal moth creatures, you say?

2 Likes

Maybe like this? Made them today:

7 Likes
  1. Thermal Vision
    My best idea for this is to either make the person with the mutation to be weak to flashes the same as moths are, and (a WYCI option) add the ability to hide from the thermal vision by: consuming things that are cold or wearing insulating clothing like hardsuits.

Thermals is largely pointless and only exists to help validhunting. Sometimes you need good validhunting, like against cults, but this is a shitter mutation most rounds. Remove it. Or rather replace it with something else that’s nice.

1. Hulk
    When you suddenly have a larger and stronger body, shouldn’t that also require more food? As a hulk, you will have to consume food much more often.
    Edit: Also makes your sprite bigger, and when examining the person you’ll read: “their clothing appears to barely fit and be slightly torn”.

Good. Don’t forget hulk already makes you unable to use guns.

1. Space-Adaptation
    Change it from the idea that you obtain a aura that protects you from space to instead making you fat as your body adapts to being able to survive being in space. You are now slowed down as if you were wearing a hardsuit.

Everyone likes to shit on SA until there’s xenos, nukies or a blob, at which point it becomes incredibly important, if not necessary (depending on crew organization, but usually it’s needed to give most folks a chance). This change would kill the crew.

Due to having a thicker, rubbery skin to protect you from being shocked, you now are weaker to being cold. I’d also add the requirement to drink things that would keep you warmer/wear insulating clothing as the temperature on the station is too cold for you to live comfortably in and you’ll take slow minor damage if you don’t watch your temp.

Good concept, shit design. No one likes to babysit a bunch of meters and hunger/mood is already enough. Try something else. Maybe vastly increased bleeding since skin can’t clot.

1. Telekinesis
    Due to your brain now being powerful enough to move things with your mind, you will need to consume more food more often like a Hulk would, if you’re not full you won’t be able to use the power. (This one is a slight toss away suggestion as I haven’t heard any recent complaints about this mutation, but since it could allow you to kill someone while being completely hidden and access consoles I think it should have some kind of weakness.

Seems fine. Having to be full is probably enough. Telekinesis is a great mutation but it also requires actual creativity to use well.

1 Like

Discord emote worthy!

2 Likes

Pretty well identical.