Astriker's admin application

Ill apply for admin, whats the worst that could happen.

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): Astriker
Pretty much everything in this will refer to MRP as that is the only branch I play

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): AgentStriker#9705

How often are you online to play/admin? (Timezone):Pacific time, Usually from 2pm-11pm

What changes, if any, would you bring?: There’s not much that I’d want to change however I do wish the MRP would be less like LRP. I see a lot of toeing the line when it comes to rules and I think the rules need to be a bit more specific

How old are you?: 18

Why do you want to be an admin?:
Since I became a mentor about a month ago I’ve had a few reasons that I wanted to apply for staff, however I never applied because I didn’t really feel like it. Here’s a few main reasons why I chose to apply for staff; Number one, Sometimes there aren’t enough admins on sage. Number 2, I’ve been a mentor for around a month without any incidents. Number 3, I was encouraged to apply by a couple staff members.(Lago and Caecilius)

How long have you been playing SS13?:
I started playing SS13 back in the early summer of 2019, Played /tg/(412hr/Living) starting out then went over yogstation for a bit cause /tg/ was a bit too greytidey.(120hr/Living on yog) to bee sage when I wanted to start playing RP(When sage was good). I currently have 516hrs on beestation.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:
I joined for the first time in June 2019. However, I dident start actually playing on beestation until around August. Ive been a mentor since mid-march to now without any incidents.

Astriker

First Seen: 2019-06-05 00:54:26

Account Creation: 2019-06-04

Bee coins: 21102

Playtime

516h (442h/74h)

Connections

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:
Id say about a 9. I can do any of the station’s jobs and sub-jobs, Toxins, circuits, All the engine types including TEG stuff(However I have never touched or seen a antimatter engine),fusion, Competent medic(Please stop cloning people when I can just heal them or do revive surgery). Those are just the ones I can name right now, feel free to test my knowledge

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?:
I have gotten myself used to the basic admin tools in SS13 such as logs, the player panel, and operating the interface. However I am not the most experienced in handling tickets, Doing multiple admin tasks quickly. But there is room for improvement. 6

Have you ever been an admin on another server?
This is not limited to SS13: I’ve done a few things on unturned RP and minecraft but its not really experience.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:
I know i’ve used alts in the past but I don’t use or remember them anymore.

Your strengths:
Creativity, Interrogation. I tend to ask a lot of questions. This could be more neutral than a strength but I see it as a strength being able to ask questions. I can investigate (provided logs and talking with the accused). I designate more urgent tasks before simpler ones.

Your weaknesses:
Currently I have a hard time taking hate and criticism. Whenever the spotlight is on me I am always anxious I will say something wrong and what I said will be cut and pasted everywhere to slander my name. As I become more well known it becomes more of a problem for my mind.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:
Example: “Oh I did something wrong and got punished justifiably” “F*** the police/admin”, People seeking any reason to get mad at someone.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:
Patience and a non-biased opinion. With a pinch of investigative skills. A admin that closes a ticket based on the ahelp and opinions is not a good investigator. A admin that checks logs, and gives a bit of time for people to explain their justification and intent is a better investigator

What makes a staff team good?:
A good staff team is an organized staff team. When you have a team attempting to tackle a task and no one knows what they are supposed to be doing it will end badly. An organized staff team can distribute tasks to each member for flow.

**What is a staff team’s purpose?:**A staff team’s purpose is to make sure the server stays enjoyable. Developers add new content to keep the game from getting stale, keeping the game enjoyable. Admins enforce the rules to prevent certain individuals from making the game unenjoyable. Event admins keep the game enjoyable by adding variety.

What kind of player are you?:
I am usually the type of person to sit in science and play with circuits. Sometimes i’ll play other roles, mostly cyborg. 90% of the time I don’t have antags enabled because I like to do fun things in science.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:
As A staff member I will be able to see more perspectives of situations, I think I will become used to stuff after a while and not take hate badly.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
This is just another example of clown shittery. Because the HoS’s gun is a high value target it should stay on the station’s Z level, I’d try keeping it on the station’s Z level if it is a antag’s target by either putting it back near where it was spaced or putting it where it would if it looped around the station.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
Well, this is clearly self-antagging. If the guy is still running around I would send him to admin jail and ask him about his motives. Where I would go from here depends on how he responds. However its a guaranteed ban unless there is a REALLY good reason for his actions.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:
First I would ask him why he did what he did, find out what he mixed to determine if it was really accidental (sorry bud nitroglycerine requires a very specific ingredient acquired from gardens). Check their notes for repeat behavior, If it’s a repeated action I would look into punishment for them.

2 Likes

I like this application, very good amount of hours. A few notes, but the last one was over a month ago and only a single ban (which for some reason was 1 second long).
Should be noted though that most of our admins already play MRP (saying that we always need admins on both anyway), but I really would like to see your trial period.

+1 for now, will change when we get some questions in. (I would write some but I don’t wanna give some trashy questions, so I’ll leave it to the people that have better situations)

That’s fine, but you will have to go on LRP to admin from time to time. I would suggest familiarising yourself with its ruleset in advance.

That’s better than most people when they apply.

That’s mostly good, ensuring you have the full picture before acting is excellent, but you should take care not to come across as too condescending or aggressive while you ask questions.

You are going to be criticised, a lot. There will be people who you’ve never met who will hate you off the bat purely because you are the admin having to deal with them. Bear that in mind.

You’ll come across people like that quite a bit. If you want to be an admin you’ll have to learn to keep your cool when dealing with them.

Answers to 1 & 2 are good, 3 is eh, make sure to check their hours. If they’re new and mixed potassium and water it’s probably best to leave them be.

Questions:

1: A new player asks in OOC “Why do I have a red R over my head?”. The Captain then promptly begins to give out mindshield implants. How do you respond to a: the new player and b: the captain?

2: A person is validly killed on MRP and ahelps. After determining that his death was valid, you close the ahelp. However, they refuse to accept this and open new ahelps repeatedly complaining, insulting you and threatening an admin report. What do you do?

3: Under what sort of circumstances would you consider sending a: An ERT and b: a Deathsquad? What sort of steps would you take beforehand, and would your standards change based on server?

Looking good, have my +2

First I would pm the new guy, link him to the rules and tell him about mentorhelp. Then I would check his notes for if he has done it before. If its repeated I would give him another note, if not I would just give him a verbal warning.
As for the captain, id ask him why he started handing out mindshields because it could just be a coincidence, if he says he found a rev i’d check it with the logs. If his story checks out no punishment. However if it dosent check out id note him for using ooc information ic(if hes done it before I would go for more severe punishment). Once the ball is rolling and everyone in sec is informed of revs there is almost no going back from that and I would need to let the round continue.

This one is simple, I would tell him to stop opening ahelps and if he feels like I am in the wrong he should make a admin report. If he does it more I would ahelp mute him for the round.

An Ert:
If there is a immediate danger to the integrity and functionality to the statiin
Deathsquad:
Lrp:If the crew attempts to terminate a ert intentionally or if a rev round has gone on for too long and everyone on the station is a rev but the one head is hiding in maint, deathsquad would be tasked with terminating or incapacitating revolutionaires
Mrp:the crew attempts to terminate a ert intentionally.

All good, question 3 is more either you wait until request is called on the centcom console or someone is murderboning on lowpop. Good answers though

These concern me. Originally I was going with a +0, however those answers are quite good.

ERTs are generally fun and gives dead players something to do. I personally am fond of an inspector on MRP, especially if the captain/HoS are not behaving. Janny ERT is also quite harmless especially if someone finds birdboat and or there’s just nasty ness everywhere.

Deathsquads should be very very rare and only as you said, imminent danger or possibly a very long (Taking over an hour at least) antag stalemate, such as can happen with Revs. The purpose is to basically end the round generally.

+1 from me.

Current total : +4

+Good amount of hours
+Good answers to questions
+Well written app, with honest positives and negatives listed
+Non-toxic OOC and community involvement
-Some aggressive notes in the past 2 months

As people have said you need tough skin for handling abuse. You get a lot of it, and pretty constantly. It has established itself as the norm, and admins pretty regularly get burnt out from it. That said I don’t think openly admitting to weak areas should be looked at too negatively, I prefer it myself. Also a thing to note is that you wont be able to enjoy the game in the same way/capacity. While it has been getting better recently, the amount of notes, admins issues, and overall need for admins makes it very difficult to actually enjoy a full round as you do now.

While we overall need more admins, currently we have a bad proportion on which server gets more attention. Most admins prefer MRP (myself included) and LRP needs more love. Not that this should deter you too much since we need good admins pretty badly, but knowing the LRP ruleset and being able to switch back and forth from a Golden/Sage frame of mind is important.

As for Cae’s 3rd questions the general rule/qualifiers for ERT are these.

• Murderboning when there are 20 or fewer connected players to LRP
  • There is a CENTCOM request that is valid and is an issue that is unmanageable by crew
  • The amount of hostile mobs is so high compared to living crew that a deathsquad is the only answer

You will get asked pretty frequently to send in ERTs. In telecomms, tickets, prayers, etc. The key thing to remember is that you do not want to punish antags for playing the game well alone. However this question’s answers aren’t really public knowledge so your answer is fine enough.

The notes worry me a little but, but the quality of the rest of the app outweighs my concerns.

+1
T: +5

Those are some very solid answers, 3 is more “if the crew officially asks for it and there is a threat”, but your reasoning is sound. ERTs can completely change the flow of a round and so it’s import to use them with care, deathsquads especially so, and you seem to have grasped that.

Answers 1 & 2 are more or less exactly what I would have done, and show the all important understanding of the need to be lenient on people who are new and genuinely don’t know that they’re accidentally ruining the round for the revs.

+1

T: +6

Coming out of retirement to nitpick and ask some questions. Not that you need to answer them.

“Less like LRP”? What do you mean by rules needing to be a bit “more specific”? Can you expand a bit on that?

Expand a bit on that?

That’s not good at all.

Neither is this.
You’re a jannie. An admeme. You’re going to get yelled at and made fun of a lot, whether it is MRP or LRP. You’re going to be criticized and you’re going to fuck up at least once in your entire life as an admin, and you’re gonna have to take the criticism that comes with it.

If you cannot handle any of it, then I suggest backing down before you get flooded with admin reports and become the new Dovah.

Also I’m not up to date with how the staff team is now ever since I backed down, but just to be sure; You only plan on adminning in MRP?

Now some questions since I like’em.

1. LRP. Roboticist 1 is traitor. He buys an emag and tries to kill his co-worker, George Melons. Somehow, George Melons outrobusts him, kills the traitor, and finds his emag. With a smirk on his face, he decides to make Roboticist 1 a cyborg and emags him. George proceeds to create various cyborgs and constantly emags each and every one of them, but never gives them any harmful orders. Is this okay?

2. MRP. A Warden captures a Bartender who happened to have the Syndicate Playing Cards and Syndicate Smokes. Bartender attempted to run away while shooting back at the warden with the beanbags in his double-barrel shotgun. Warden uses a disabler, cuffs the Bartender, and proceeds to execute him via lethal injection with HOS’ permission, with no other heads available besides the HOS and CMO, and with no AI on board. Is this okay? Any rules/roleplay rules broken?

3. LRP. Assistant called Joe Mama calls a Security Officer a handful of slurs, most notably the N word which for some reason i can’t type in here multiple times. Security Officer proceeds to literally beat Joe’s head into a pulp before cremating him. Is this okay?

Feel free to take your time and you don’t necessarily have to answer them. But it’s always nice to see how you react and handle stuff.

Also @Caecilius learn to count ya stinky, the total is +6

+1 from bacon
+2 from vex
+1 from Aeder
+1 from Kasual
+1 from you

I’d like to throw in a +1 as answers are currently okay.

This one is not too complicated but some people may have their different opinions. But this is subverting the chain of command. Why? Because he is taking the cyborgs out of the AI’s control and making them his own minions, However thats it. On MRP this would easily be powergame + the previous answer.
Rules were broken here

This is somewhat for me, the bartender had a item only obtainable by syndicate interaction(the smokes not the cards cause the cards appear in the bar sometimes). The bartender never tried to explain himself and started shooting at the warden while running away. The execution is ok as it was authorized by the HoS, However I believe that the bartender couldve been sent to perma instead.
No rules broken here

This is 99% not ok and 1% maybe ok. The officer should not have cremated or beat his skull in maybe a bit of harmbaton is fine but the officer should have only arrested him for code 111
This is not OK and I would check their notes for over aggression or similar incidents. At minimum a severe note.
This breaks rules for sure

+1 from me. I like most of the answers.

T: +8

fish saying the n word makes you V A L I D no rules broken.

As kate said, on LRP getting called gamer words makes the person who called you them valid. Once valid on LRP you can do whatever you want to the person.

If I can get nitpicky, the cyborgs would already be under his command assuming they are Asimov. If anything, we can say he basically completely deleted the chain of command and made the cyborg’s only loyalty to be him.

tl;dr yes but no but yes again.

Newsflash.

Insulting someone with slurs in LRP makes you valid for the person you insulted. No matter who you are. Call someone a N word or something not as creative and you can get your skull bashed in. Or at least that’s how I am aware of the rules still working up to this day. If any admin/trialmin can correct me, please do.

Good answers-ish, but learn some LRP rules too because you can’t exclusively moderate MRP. You’ll be needed on LRP sooner or later, too.

+1
Worth getting a trial period for sure, nothing to say that hasn’t already been said.

We desperately need more admins willing to cover Golden rather than Sage, but the team is stretched a bit thin right now regardless.

Im not sure about this but isn’t cap the only person who can order to execute someone?

I mentioned how the only 2 heads are HOS and CMO and if I recall correctly, the (unofficial? or maybe it’s how it actually works) priority of acting Captain when there’s none is HOP, RD, CE, HOS and CMO.

Or maybe HOS really is the least apt, then again he’s the one that’s gonna make sure antags die 99% of the time.

Anyways, HOS is there with no Cap on board, he can technically authorize someone’s death.

1 Like

I usually allow HOSs to authorize executions with good cause as far as server rules go, although it is breaking space law if there is an acting captain.