Ashwalker husbandry

As it currently stands Ashwalkers have to compete with miners and other Ashies for animal resources. This means that usually only one person will ever be sporting bone armor and the awesome bow never really gets made.

I propose some kind of husbandry. Maybe a way to make another tendril through some kind of ritual or seed. This tendril will produce animals more slowly than natural ones as to not have 6 walkers fully kitted in bone armor and axes.

Another way husbandry can be done is by paxxing the monsters with a special flora mix maybe involving entropic polypnium. This can either mean the animal will be pacifies and can be bred, or will become paralyzed and can be turned into a tendril.
I think pet goliaths and watchers would be pretty cool though and maybe the station could use them too.

I think something needs to be done about the resource diatribution problem, what are your thoughts on this?

1 Like

Remove ashwalkers, problem solved.

Nobody likes lizards anyways.

1 Like

I do like Ashwalkers though.

2 Likes

These aren’t bad suggestions but more tendrils is not the answer.

Instead, I propose that ashwalkers can create a pit using a ritual. Monsters emerge from the pit every now and then, like a randomly-spawning tendril. You can’t destroy the pit, only seal it and wall it off. It has no drops of its own. Shove 10 legion cores into the pit and it spawns a single, non-sentient elite.

This way there’s no idiotic chest farm, and instead it’s just a place you visit to get materials now and then.

2 Likes

How about a way to get more animals via husbandry as a total-system improvement? I think chickens might already via eggs?
Could introduce a botany-like module that allows one to cultivate animals to have various core/trait, and even reagent genes, even? Something with less immediate results, perhaps altered genes manifest only in newly spawned animals?
Could code hard limits to restrict the number of animals of each type that can exist in the game. Could develop an AI sub type which handles particular groups (“herds”) as a single entity, would help processing power, and prevent largish groups from wandering off? Maybe have those “herds” ombine if they share a proximity, split and move apart if the “herd” reaches a certain size, and passes a low-chance RNG test?
Could have a medium-largish biodome on asteroid, or somewhere else out of the way that whoever in Service has access to. Room to work with new module.

Sorry, got way off topic. Just spitballing. Yeah, a way to take something small in terms of resources, and grow it - usually good.

EDIT: Might as well improve/implement animal to animal combat AI while I’m dreaming. Could have a trait which makes animals lavaland atmos-proof? Occasionally spawn wolf like mobs from a “den” spawner that target animals over human mobs? Something that can “phase” through a tile or two towards an animal target on a long cooldown, so the mob could attack the inside of the dome?

6 Likes

Just… find one of the many tendrils and then don’t destroy it. Lure mobs away from it to kill so you don’t get swarmed.

I don’t see or have this issue as an ashwalker unless miners are destroying the tendrils. And you can and should just kill the miners so you aren’t competing with them. They are invading your home and stealing from/killing the blessed Tendrils after all

1 Like

Miners do exactly that, they kill off tendrils.
Tendrils are usually too far away to effectively farm, too and sometimes certain tendrils may not even spawn at all!
If we do husbandry we will be able to get more leather. The cloak takes a lot of plates to make because of the leather.

I didn’t mean a literal tendril, I meant some kind of “lesser” tendril, sorry I wasn’t clear about that. Your idea is pretty cool though!

That sounds really cool but hard to code.
I’d like to see genetics with leather. Making strong coats that act as some kind of armor would be cool. Or milk that tastes so good it gives you a moodlet equal to space drugs in positivity.

Of course they do, miners want lavaland resources: Your resources, from your homeland. They want to steal from you, so kill off the miners and you have the resources to yourself. I know you personally hate fighting other players, but Ashwalkers are antagonists, and the intention for their existence is to give ghosts something to do and miners something smarter than dumb, predictable combat AI to overcome.

I’m against the idea because the better ashwalker gear shouldn’t be easily farmable without doing a substantial amount of hunting/combat.

It’s not that I hate fighting them, it’s more that I want interaction with different people. If we kill all the miners then there’s nothing else to really do besides sacrificing yourself to the tendril.

I also don’t want it to be easy for Ashwalkers to get the more advanced weaponry and armor, but I feel like it’s not good for only one or two to get the cool stuff. It also causes neglect for the bow because of it’s cost, which is a pretty cool thing.
We also need leather for cloaks and quivers which costs quite a few goliaths too.

Maybe giving a GPS to Ashwalkers or some kind of natural GPS gene that gives the ability to track tendrils and maybe even their type.
That way we can get there before the miners can.

I mean ashwalkers having a sixth sense that can find a tendril does actually make sense, seeing as how they worship a tendril

1 Like

Yeah. If we can also sense what type it is then we can rush them to block them off from the miners before they get to them.

1 Like

What about a built in Ashwalkers GPS sixth sense that also detects the type of tendril?

2 Likes

Bump because I like the idea.

1 Like

Forum banned

As someone who loves playing ashwalker I get what your saying. Often enough the shift will start with one ashwalker, laying down the groundwork and making eggs, they’re usually the one with all the gear. It usually isn’t until and miner get dunked or there’s a bunch of eggs before other ashwalkers start spawning, of which many will just beeline it to miner base to unga kill miners so they don’t usually get gear.

1 Like

Also while I do enjoy more features for them, I’d rather not have ashwalkers be too pushed. Part of what appeals to me about them is how utterly disadvantaged ashwalkers are, not being able to use guns, glass shards are your mortal enemy, and how a miner can two shot you if hes got two upgraded KAs. Despite all that, if you play smart you can just about beat any miner, and it feels so good

Another option would be let them forge their on weapons from the minerals they curently only use for flor tiles

1 Like

Sound like a lot of work but also sounds like it would be amazing.

1 Like