In-game report: validhunting/metagaming HoS behavior

CKEY: Basicguy20

Your Discord: garfielf #5856

Offender’s CKEY: Amitech

Offender’s In-Game Name: Chad Miser

Server (Sage or Acacia): Sage

Date (MM-DD-YYYY): 12/15/2022

Round Number: 41816

Rules Broken: 2 (validhunting), 12, 14 (metagaming)

Incident Description:

HOS tried to round-end me as a traitor moth because I was using a sleepy pen (in my PDA which he did not check) with sleepy/paralyzing poisons from the poison kit. Because they assumed someone getting stung = changeling instantly. It never once crossed their mind to search the suspicious firefighting closet in my janitor supply area (I had the poison box sitting in a firefighting closet literally right next to me when they decided to valid hunt me as a Ling). I would have been put in the meatgrinder in the kitchen but that failed for some reason. So they instantly went to the science then Chapel with no RP at all while I was begging and pleading for my life. The RD was even trying to plead with HoS to do something else to test me rather than the most extreme option. Chad Miser had already made up his mind, and it was very clear because my voice was falling on deaf ears, and assumed it was perfectly acceptable to assume I was a changeling because of two people (one of which murdered me earlier in the round when I was trying to do some funny interrogation RP since he was the Beeking, I wanted to ask him the secrets of honey making, and was planning on getting caught by keeping his radio ON). I was only able to get away by confessing at literally the last second that I was a traitor.

I think this type of behavior is unacceptable, especially as a HoS. They had no other evidence that I was a ling other than two people getting stung (hearsay is not enough to murder someone come on!), The fact that I can’t even do funny RP situations where I kidnap and interrogate people and instead get validhunted and attempted to RR WHILE THERE WERE BORGS CONFIRMED TO BE ROGUE! He was literally dragging me into the science department WHILE PEOPLE WERE FIGHTING ROGUE BORGS!

Additional Information: I’ve been trying to be more of a fun-orientated traitor over greentexts, since as I quickly found it’s quite boring, but I get rude reminders that some people on sec want nothing more than to just make every antag redtext with no type of RP at all. The past few times I’ve been a traitor, I have been experimenting with sleepy pen and cuffing people (the only exception being a lowpop round where I bought throwing weapons and emag). Most of the time, I usually fail too but I don’t mind because it creates interesting situations for security and command. Not this time, the fact that I almost got round-ended when no one even ended up getting harmed by my attempts to kidnap I think speaks volumes about him as a security where we are supposed to RP. I’m just really upset over this whole situation.

He claims later in the Discord that he was doing the “Changeling test” and this strikes me as very metagamey. I’m newer to this server and do not know what the mods/admins think about the rules in the situation but I just think it’s a reflection of the type of playstyle he was on a RP server.

Some screencaps:

(Beth, btw was the Beeman who murdered me earlier with a bee grenade who was the first person to call me a Ling. He later killed himself with his last two bee grenades and then disconnected in the interrogation room of sec. TO THE HOS, MY MURDERER’S WORD HOLDS THE SAME WEIGHT AS THE HOP, who I also stung.)

(hearsay from two people = all the evidence you need to kill someone)

(RD was atleasting trying to plead and do a scan instead of going to the most extreme option, you can literally see how frantic my typing becomes as we get closer to the chapel.)

(me confessing while I was in the Oven because I genuinely thought I was going to be killed)

(These two pictures show he has no regrets and believes he was in the right because of meta information I didn’t have. Really disgusting attitude.)
(Sorry killermankey, someone on the Discord gave me bad info)

6 Likes

Just going to point out that RD actually tried to MMI test you, way better than being turned into ash but it is also metagaming IIRC.

7 Likes

Keep in mind. I did not know about the “Ling test.” Me confessing at the last second was me trying to be spared since I assumed I would be toast (literally).

2 Likes

@AmiTech do you wanna come excuse your behavior like you were doing in the Discord?

“Excuse”? I do admit that cremator and grinder baiting was a little overboard (and as i later learned became considered too meta to use in rounds to determine lings) but you have provided context from your side, not knowing what ours was.

Here’s what happened from my perspective: i already had three large problems on my plate (moth trying to become captain illegaly and was under suspicion of subverting AI, gulag prisoner completely wrecking said gulag and reported breaches from miner’s previous bombings), which all had to be dealt with immediately. I hear a scream for help on radio from HoP, saying a ling moth has stinged him not so long after his arrival. That was semi-confirmed by AI, who set an arrest on you. HoP kept screaming my ear off about how he was going to go to sleep and someone has to help him, while me and another officer decided to catch you.

Most heads were certain that you were a ling, since hop didn’t actually fall asleep, but just got blurred vision and was very slow. When we arrested you, we decided to see if you’d headcrab when brought close to the gibber. The chef wouldn’t let us continue with faking it so i took you to chapel to do the same thing with cremator. RD, as you said, wasn’t “pleading for your life” but had clearly told me to kill you, so as i recall it was already 3 command votes to kill you, since lings were the last thing heads wanted with all the chaos that ensued.

You wouldn’t be cremated in that situation, since i saw you didn’t try to use ling abilities nor become a headslug. After that i thought “He’s probably a very good ling to not give away himself even after that”, it is only then AI and Axel helped me come to conclusion that you indeed probably injected HoP with poison, not cryo sting, since HoP elaborated on what he felt after you “stung him”.

1 Like

Wow, so you’re actually going to try and do damage control for your ego or something.

Yes, it’s almost as if its metagaming, especially so since some players may not know it has a safety mechanism to prevent the type of validhunting nonsense you were pulling.

So you have a lot on your plate as an HoS? Understandable, here are just a few of the masterful security tactics you could have used to avoid the hardship of marching my screaming, afraid moth janitor across literally the entire station and wasting 10 minutes of your oh-so-precious time trying to kill a neutralized moth that used NO ABILITIES besides SUPPOSEDLY stinging people with ling sting.

You could have:

1. Checked my PDA pen (which had my sleeping pen and you can see its “contents” which is a giveaway that it’s contraband)
  2. Checked the suspicious firefighting closet I WAS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO IN MY WORK AREA when you went to go and make the arrest which had my poison box with a half-missing bottle of Pancuronium (symptoms of which was reported by the HoP).
  3. Handed me over to the RD so that she could do a brain scan for the same effect WITHOUT THE SUGGESTION OF ME BEING MURDERED LIKE YOUR PEER WAS SUGGESTING TO YOU.
  4. Detained me in the brig and let the Warden watch over me with a strict watch so that you could sort out the other pressing security matters and later done a check when most of the action died down.
  5. Explained the “Changeling test” (this is the worst option as its still meta but at the very least would calm me down IC because I genuinely thought I was going to die)/

But you did NONE of these things, You were the HoS, not a deputy or an officer, you can’t say you were new to the role. You cannot excuse trying to escalate instantly to threatening to murder with the evidence you were presented. If your time is so pressing, why don’t you use basic security triage so to speak, and deal with the MOST SEVERE SECURITY ISSUES FIRST and then deal with me later?

So what? You’re the HoS, you are responsible for taking the most reasonable security measures regardless of what other people are saying like a good leader in a leadership position would.

Wow, so when I continued to not use Ling abilities in the kitchen and instead shout at you for what I thought was attempted murder with no good evidence. Instead of thinking “hmmm maybe he’s not a Ling” you jumped to the conclusion that I must be playing chicken with you and that I’m just too good at hiding that I’m a ling.

Maybe I used the wrong word choice with “pleading” at least from your POV but you didn’t think to take your peer’s suggestion of doing a scan WHILE WE WERE IN SCIENCE while PEOPLE WERE FIGHTING ROGUE BORGS AROUND ME. But I guess getting that le epic redtext matters more right?

…But yet I did NOT know this. Nor did you ever explain this. This is why I put this under METAGAMING because my LACK OF META KNOWLEDGE caused me to panic, maybe this is just a normal thing for you, which is why you seemed so apathetic towards my character pleading and crying for his life, as other people have suggested in the Discord.

I’m starting to notice a pathology, whenever someone doesn’t confirm your assumed beliefs in your mind, you jump to the conclusion that they must be a GOOD ling. Guilty before being proven innocent I am right? What a great mentality for a HOS with little oversight to have over the security and well-being of not only the station but the round’s health as a whole.

So you needed other people, not in your department, to help you reach the elusive idea that a supposed Ling using no abilities that are facing immediate death, was actually just a traitor with a sleepy pen? How do you metagame this hard but not even know that the sleepy pen has the same effect as a Ling sting?

Please do not play HoS again, I do not trust you enough with this level of power and lack of oversight to make these kinds of decisions for round health.

Do you know what the saddest part about all this is? You arrested me in front of a new player janitor that I was talking to because I had helped them learn how to play janitor a couple of shifts ago and even taught them controls like dragging their janitor cart. You’re literally setting the precedent for this kind of behavior in front of people still trying to figure out the controls and type. This is such a disgrace how badly you escalated this situation and it’s shameful.

2 Likes

Please remember to remain respectful in reports, making memes and making fun of others is not acceptable behavior.

Ok fair, but is anything going to happen? He’s a repeat offender and someone literally just made another thread of him doing stupid shit as acting CE.

1 Like

Killermankey was the AI (Robert McOS) this round, not Chad Miser.

Chad’s is Amitech.

I am not omnipotent. As far as i was concerned, a moth that was previously in jail cell and was in interrogation room when an officer yelled “LING” got let out of brig and attacked a member of command.

I am also not a perfect justice machine, even if i was acting captain - two high ranking crew members and AI were vouching that you are a ling. If the whole station would tell me “Hey, that guy is a ling” i surely wouldn’t think “Hmm no they are all wrong i must play cat mouse for the rest of my shift while that crewmember kills others”. What i did was influenced by my own conclusion and witnesses. Security, moreso acting captain in the face of HoS usually don’t have a time to process one prisoner for 30 minutes, search them, interrogate them and search their workplace. Not only that, but shuttle was arriving soon, and i still had a gulag prisoner to deal with.

Once i brought you back to brig, i trusted Axel to search you but it seems he didn’t find anything? Or so i saw, and let you go. Which did upset me, since command members have been complaining about mechs that were breaking into bridge on the shuttle, which you could’ve easily used to assasinate HoP (who i assumed was your target). I did plan to search you myself, but those mechs and a janitor with stechkin didn’t really give me an opportunity.

I’m sorry that your gimmick got ruined, but we had a lot of things to deal with and communication within sec wasn’t perfect. I did not make it my mission to catch every badman, but it just so happened most of them acted very suspicious and put crewmembers in danger. I can promise i will not use cremator or gibber to try and lure out lings.

What science test are you talking about? Is there a test to reveal lings?

I was there for most of this and was playing sec, Orion Galatea.

Can confirm this round was an utter shitshow for sec and we were rushed off our feet, but @Basicguy20 we treated you with an arguably exaggerated level of care after the hop literally screamed that you assaulted her. I pointed my disabler at you and told you to surrender, and you ran.

After that point you are obviously a criminal. The question in my Characters mind at the time was “are you a ling?”

The AI certainly thought so. The acting captain (hop) thought so. I didn’t immediately go to lethals and neither did HoS.

We tried to RP with you
Instead you screeched about how innocent you were and were entirely impossible to talk to.

How are we meant to respond in this situation dude?

Dude read my first post. Im not mad about my gimmick failing or w.e. Im frustrated you never took a FEW seconds to explain what the fuck was going on when I was CLEARLY DISTRESSED IC. You never once made any attempt to defuse the situation. IN FACT, you were MOCKING me with shit like “bye moff” while I was in the OVEN of chapel. I dont buy your time being so precious because Ive stated the numerous other options that WOULD HAVE SAVED YOU TIME TO DEAL WITH OTHER THREATS.

Some people were saying theres MMI or brainscans they can do to see if someone is a Ling. Im not sure I dont play science so I cant personally confirm.

“Please let us arrest you willingly so we can throw you in the meatgrinder/oven with no evidence” wow man great RP. I really have so many options interacting with validhunting secoffs. I clearly wasnt begging for my life because from my character’s POV, he thought he was really going to die. I should just have all the meta info on ling tests so I can avoid these kinds of RP situations.

I don’t have to calm down people i arrest, let alone someone who attacked a command member. One of HoS’ main duties is making sure everyone in command is alright, and you tried to harm one.

Plus, why would i try to defuse an arrest of corp’s enemy? If we were less lenient - you’d be dead in those handcuffs. Lings are no joke.

But I WASNT a ling. I was a tot (hostile agent). Im so sick of you guilty before innocent mentality and refusal to even admit the possibilty you could have been wrong.

If we were less lenient - you’d be dead in those handcuffs. Lings are no joke.

So you WOULD have roundended me if you were in a bad mood or something :joy::joy:

Alright this is starting to get more argumentative than informative, please try to keep additions to the post important or these things can take mich longer to process

1 Like

I don’t know what else to add. I provided my side of the story and reasonings for my actions.

I can concede that based on the circumstances with you, AI, HoP, and the security situation as a whole that this could not be considered validhunting because there was reasonable suspicion (even if you didn’t act on it well).

However, objectively, the Ling test is metagaming, and the fear I had in both IC and OOC because I lacked this meta knowledge clearly demonstrates this.

That’s all I have to say. I’ll let mods judge now.

I’d like to chime in to say that I don’t believe it to be metagaming - putting a knife under the throat of someone and telling em you will execute them on the spot, waiting to see if they show their true colors or continue pleading, is perfectly reasonable IC

However, this is a massive breach of SOP.
This is quite visibly an extreme form of torture, that really should not be used - torture being now completely banned from use for security.

While not metagaming and still being roleplay - they still went with an outlawed method nearly guaranteed of getting a confession while severely traumatizing the suspect.

Also, ling mmi test is a bug exploit, and not allowed -yet everyone keeps thinking you can use it whenever

4 Likes