Alternatives to Perma-Bans

how is that powergaming?
literally all the admins were against it except for like 1
also it took a while to get overturned

2 Likes

The problem is people who positively add to the game, i.e. they enrich the gaming experience for others, are being banned with the intent to never let them play on the server again.

I think permabans should be used against people who are clearly and unambiguously just trying to ruin the game for everyone else, I think we could all agree on what those players look like (generally speaking).

I get pissed when I see players permabanned as if their permanent absence on Beestation is meaningful, because most of the time it isn’t. but the thing that really GRINDS MY GEARS is that admins rarely defend their permabans by saying they’re trying to create a better playing experience. that and that alone, should be the number 1 reason admins give for their permabans. But most of the time they rely on other reasoning to justify their permabans.

4 Likes

permabans permabans permbans PERMABANS!!!

Bruh why not just do what hippie does,they have cat bans (turns someone into a catbeast that cant harm anyone and is valid to everyone), or the CLUWNE or even the crab ban(turns you into a crab every round).From what ive seen on hippie you can only get perma baned for meta comms

i got turned into da creb for traitor fishing

1 Like

For one, I NEVER see a LONG ban

This is just from the first page of bans showing some longer than average bans. You can even see in one of them where I have two different ban lengths for the same issue based on their notes - one player had only a few notes without a lot of details in them yet so he got a very detailed ban reason + shorter ban. The other player has multiple pages of shittery and the next step after that month-long ban is going to be perma.

Aside from escalation cases where we issue someone a permaban as a last straw, we only issue permanent bans for a select few things:

• Metacomms
  • Leaving mid conversation (and these are immediately overturned if player can show they have the ability to remain composed)
  • Intentional Griefing
  • Ban evasion

I’ve never seen a permanent ban applied and stick for any reason other than these above.

Regarding permanent job bans, those definitely need to stick and are only applied when we no longer trust a player in that department (or as a head) and these are also applied after many failed attempts to correct player actions.

Permanent bans are also almost never actually permanent (@xyzzy d @Clown come to mind as true permas) and may be overturned with appeals - forcing an appeal is not a bad system either. It allows us as staff to gauge whether a person has changed (or might just be good at lying) and if they slip up again in a major way, the ban gets slapped back on for a while so the process can repeat.

All of that aside
I’m definitely not opposed to implementing a system that allows at least lighter banned players to connect and play as non-harmful or mostly non-harmful simplemobs, especially maint. mice.

edit: What I mean by lighter bans: Leaving mid bwoink or the gradual escalation bans. Intentional grief, metacomms and ban evasion should still be met with true bans in my opinion.

i came here to stalk you since you asked so nicely
and yeah permabans are stupid, most of the security abuse should be sorted out IC
the problem is most people pick the head role for the access, so they dont care about some dude breaking the rules
on the other hand i never seen anyone peacefully give up their job and access because head said you’re demoted
(i still think you’re a shitsec)

1 Like

I personally like this idea also 25 characters wee

1 Like

Mm, I guess in general Flakkyboo, I like this idea because it’s a very LIMITED role in a department where you have to abide STRICTLY. You gotta watch your step and it is supposed to teach self-control and not to try and find an excuse to do things or push limits but rather err on the side of safety. Making them do a boring, extremely limited part of the job to earn the right to actually DO the job is, in my opinion, a good way to get them to rehabilitate and reform their mindset…as well as an online test to show you KNOW the damn job and understand it (we do have some people from different countries that read into phrases or words differently, even if they speak fluent English).

Therefore, I still think the idea of offering a boring role of basically being a secretary for Medical stuck in the Lobby as opposed to being an actual medic, doctor, virologist or chemist, or being a MALLCOP basically, that has to sit in his guard post and not leave instead of getting to be a security officers or something (and denied the right to arrest anyone), is better as it also teaches restraint and to roleplay semi-seriously.

Problem is, how do you make it happen without constant observation from somebody?

Special hidden role that can only be assigned by admins that has some kind of instant gibbing if you leave lavaland and you’re just forced to work your ban out seems like a good idea. But somebody still has to code this.

just port slave collars
easy

Pretty sure the admin that did that got demoted for using admin powers in game not too long ago.

I once got permad for killing two people on LRP and not being completely serious in the ahelp. I’ve seen people kill more people and get three day bans. Permas aren’t always that serious and they’re extremely inconsistent.

2 Likes

ok but i’m pretty sure you’re not allowed to do this anymore. especially with permabans.

Not allowed to what, appeal permanent bans?

https://forums.beestation13.com/t/xdyou-baned-by-zeskorion/3293/11

https://forums.beestation13.com/t/ckey-banned-by-arrfur/3269/7

This is three permanent bans overturned in the past 24 hours by different admins

You are really dumb arent you?
I HAVE BEEN PERMAED FOR ALMOST A YEAR DUDE

Your first appeal was in February though, and you got a negative review from Goon. Your second appeal was today and you were unbanned.

not allowed to force appeals

Only if they disconnect before bwoink can be given. Appeals are still forced when players leave after getting the bwoink in most cases. (Occasionally if a player does a big enough bad and disconnects immediately after)