Alternatives to lavaland discussion

Ruko has nerfed mining, good news, bad news is that his creativity is weak, So we are going to fill in the hole, and brainstorm ideas for loot.
Here are some of mine:

Legion grenades: Legion skull grenades, Toss, and throw at fauna/victims They deal decent damage, and act as a distraction. Using them on the station will make them weaker because they are far away from the necropolis.

Lava walker boots: Equip on foot slot, walk on lava. (WALK OTHERWISE YOU SLIP AND FALL IN LAVA)

Edit: Ruko derailed my discusssion lol, keep talking

I recommend not getting too invested in the idea of us keeping lavaland in the long-term.

More resources are expended on lavaland than the entire station in order to entertain an average of five people.

Wait, what are we changing lavaland for?

I don’t know precisely what, or when, and whether or not we do replace it entirely isn’t even certain.

The only thing that is certain is that lavaland as a whole is taxing on the server, and its general function doesn’t fit well with the server at large

I’m going to play SS13 with 50+ other players by completely leaving the station to do my own thing alone all round!

The post is purely a word of caution that it may not be sticking around. As with anything, until it actually happens nothing is certain yet

If we can work gathering resources into the exploration team, that would be vastly superior as a whole.

IF we are planning to do exploring, we should include puzzles, As so its not just about being robust, but smart as well

I personally would like to see ship salvaging - find a titanium/copper ship? Strip that thing apart for materials.

Wow this ship must be old, it has a uranium reactor.

Oh nice there are some teleporters we can strip the bluespace crystals out of!

Unlimited possibilities for cargo hold crate contents too. Only issue is the sheer number of ships we would need for it to not repeat the same ships frequently. I bet we could weaponize community autism with a ship design contest though

5 Likes

You most certainly could do so. I know I’d be in on that.

And maybe have the ships be dangerous like turrets, further encouraging teamwork

Idea: Miners hop from one randomly generated planet to another. On each planet, miners get twenty minutes to mine it before having to hop to another planet. Once the deadline is complete, the mining shuttle automatically departs. (with a heads up at the seventeen minute mark).

Lets just say that in-lore, Nanotrasen cracks each planet (somehow) after mining operations for funzies/further mineral harvesting in the future. In mechanics, the miner gets fucking exploded and gibbed if they get stranded on the planet.

I’m thinking the planets could go into themes. Like hellishly hot (lavaland), hot desert, plain habitable desert, barren, lush grasslands, jungle, and ocean. These planets would contain fauna and plants, but nothing very dangerous. the planets would also just be a “medium” (like 100 by 100 or something) area.

Planets would also generate with ruins. Stuff like ancient dangers and mindmelting puzzles. These ruins should have some form of reward, but nothing too powerful. There could also be some ruins that have minibosses in them, for those interested in fighting bosses.

Side note: Since spawners will not be possible on these planets (or atleast the spawners we have now), I think it would be wise to adapt the current lavaland spawners to be space-based/create new space spawners

After each 20 minutes, the mining shuttle goes on “cooldown” for five minutes, to give time for the planet to reload and generate, and have miners go out of their z-level to interact with (the sacred lathe) the crew.

(obligatory “this is not the right thread”)

On an update to the planet themes, the planet selection could divert to radical and dangerous mining worlds if emagged. worlds like:

• a world with bluespace seas and tiles that teleport you randomly if you step the wrong way.

• a world so cold plasma condenses into liquids

• a literal hell world with demonic portals and terrifying structures

• a desolate dark wasteland inhabited by floating monoliths

• an abandoned ecumenopolis with ruined buildings and dangerous turrets.

• a sprawling syndicate city-complex, filled with syndicate mobs and structures.

• Atropus worlds.

Aside from these radical worlds, perhaps also the default worlds, but extremely more dangerous. like plants that explode into poisonous gas if you dare step on them, goliath like faunas, that sort of thing.

Let’s go back to asteroid mining ez

unironically yes. asteroids cool.

Any form of planetary mining with atmos will cause the same dramatic drains on the server as lavaland does.

Asteroid mining is an upgrade on server performance but a downgrade on enjoyability.

also get rekt I derailed your entire thread @Iplayforss13

I can clear all this out if you want your thread back on topic, it wasn’t my intention to do this.

1 Like

so wait, what causes the drain? The atmospherics? or the z-level terrain stuff? If its just the atmos, wouldn’t 100/100 be a little better since its less turfs to handle?

Lava and certain terrain features produce light which molds around all manner of rocks and shapes which are changing and being recalculated every time a rock breaks. Every tile of lava is a light source, as well as every random glowy tile with the tiny lava spots.

Atmos next to that: the entire z-level is open and connected. One change in atmos in one place ripples outward across the entire level. When we had fastmos, you could almost guarantee an atmos crash by throwing a stack of plasma into the lava.

Someone once did fusion in the syndi base and released it on lavaland to hilarious catastrophic result.

So lighting and atmospherics are the big main issues, as with most of the z-level being open and connected. If I ever try to implement my random planet idea, i’ll take that in mind.

Feel free to continue the discussion

how about edible rocks

1 Like

honestly a hard space ship breaker esq thing could be cool, but it’d be sad to see lavaland and proper mining gone

Asteroids can still exist - I just think a dedicated asteroid field is a straight downgrade over what we have now.

Some minerals also probably work better in asteroids than as a part of ships.