Alternative to round removals ability to deconvert antags such as traitors

this is just a random I idea I had that I did not have much thinking about at 2 am but hey here it goes

what if security had some form of machine, roundstart, late game or explanation locked that could “deconvert” antags, this would be a good alternative to “haha eotc go brrrr” as you could just drop all charges

the way the machine would work is that it requires constant supervision, probally 5 minutes to be used and the traitor or whatever has to be buckled during the whole procedure, the machine requires captains +hos/wardens access to begin and heavily drains power, maybe requiring a direct current instead of just APC charge, some things such as certain chems could be needed as well

overall the general idea is to reduce the number of round removals that happen or whatever

6 Likes

Yea this is neat, or just make it slow ass brainwash, simpler on the coding too that way (and open up the possibility of sec fucking up by mindshielding the said antag,effectively wiping the brainwash)

This thing would need a lot more complicated stuff than power and some chems, like maybe requiring multiple surgeries, the antag to be in soft crit at some points and fully healed in others, like real complicated shit

I like where you’re coming from, but don’t you think this will end up being considered in the same way forced cyborgification is? It’s an effective way to get an antag out of the picture while not round-removing them, but gets rejected because everyone expects them to be a salty bitch for the rest of the round and not actually do their job. At least with cyborgs they have laws that should theoretically limit whatever hissyfit they get into, if they’re let loose just with their ‘fun pass’ revoked and a sour taste in their mouth who knows what they might do to get revenge. I emphasise ‘might’ because this is entirely speculation. I’m sure a good majority of de-antag’d players will take the L on the chin and carry on, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of security would reject the idea just in case it ends up biting them on the arse.

2 Likes

this also raises the problem of preventing any tot to ally with any other tot,

or even worse, sec just using the procedure on literally anybody they ever end up brigging “just in case”

good point but i guess you could throw in a couple failsafes, firstly the preventing tots from teaming up is already dealt with right now since most sec players just straight up remove the antag from the round, making them completely unrevivable

and the “test it on everyone to antagcheck” could be fixed by making it extremely costly to use, requiring very expensive crates from cargo and lots of power from engineering

Honestly I’d rather sec just be forced to use Perma more

4 Likes

Some servers usually even go as far as having a special Prisioner Role just because they have a big perma segment where players can still do stuff without getting bored to death, obviously it needs to be limited with the kind of stuff that should be there.

Something that i saw on a video once was a traitor that did a /pray roleplaying as if it was some syndie radio to ask if there was a fellow syndie on perma to rescue which he got an answer and then proceeded to save him

I would very much like if admemes we’re up for that because if that were to become the norm, then all perma prisioners wouldn’t suicide immediatly and might stick around doing perma stuff and wait for another fella to rescue em

I’m not saying that ‘‘yeah go rescue this dude and you get X TC’’ (tho it could be an option) but it would present an extra objective for the traitor that’s bored of the classic steal objectives to get chance to mess up with sec and rescue another tot that might help him on the rest of the round

Basically is to promote a more roleplay scenario in which all parts gets a ‘‘win’’ a.k.a traitor in perma gets to do some escape attempt that could lead into comeback, traitor that is done with objectives gets to do something else and sec gets to have a chase

7 Likes

by preventing tots from teaming up, i meant, “why would you ever attempt to ally if, if your teammates’ caught, he WILL give out your name?”

also, economy is fucked, I assure you the test would be used constantly.

1 Like

could have a “you forgot everything you did as a syndicate agent” text after deconversion i guess?

I guess then you could give it 3 charges that cannot be recharged?

It’s a lot of specific rules & addons added ontop of a machine which already needs a lot of specific shit to happen

It’d just be better to make perma ““safer”” roundstart and incentivizing sec to put prisoners in perma instead of execution (without promoting a strat of nuggeting/tongue+eye removal/pacification)

than making a “deconversion” machine

1 Like

good points, a perma re-map would be nice to make it more cozy other than “do nothing simulator”

2 Likes

perma shouldn’t feel like such a harsh punishment on antagonists who get sent there - giving it a bunch of activities and shit to do (like the corgstation one which had a kitchen and books and whatnot) would just make it that much more interesting for antagonists who happened to lose.

I used to renovate the perma to have a bar manned by the prisoners, it was fun, but it was just such a pain to do every round.

2 Likes

I agree, some may have hope to escape brig sometime in the round or have an ace up their sleeve like an unchecked radio implant, in those cases they just get their tot tag removed and provably get pissed about it.

1 Like

I agree. Perma needs a serious rework. Perma is dead-fucking-boring with nothing to do but cause shit and try to break out. Well, more realistically, the whole idea of perma is flawed. No one wants to spend the rest of their round in prison, even if you had a million little things to do. I’d hate to advocate for the more anal sec players, but being executed is a more preferable way to go than perma, because at least you can wait for ghost spawns or shoot the shit in deadchat. Perma is a big metal box where you are deprived of doing anything you really want to do. There needs to be some incentive for doing perma instead of getting executed or being enough of a shitter that you get ‘accidentally’ killed by security. Maybe adding some kind of codified policy regarding paroles would be better. If you’re in perma and fulfill certain criteria (e.g. not being violent, unruly, etc.) sec is legally obligated to give you parole. But that isn’t much better, at least it’ll give lawyers a reason the be even more obnoxious.

That is what yogstation did a year ago, they only authorize perma for extremely hard to contain such as: changeling, heretic, etc.

Incursions, traitors, BBs and antags like them only get maximum of 15 min time that can be reduced on compliance. Its a better system if you ask me, gives warden people to track instead of being a bootleg HoS.

Perma should be viewable from the main hall and there should be a way for prisoners to interact with passers by such as by serving drinks.

6 Likes

I feel that a lot of shtitery would be prevented if we made the deconversion method extremely limited.

Ie, you only get, say, three deconversions. That means you can’t force randoms to do it, you need to really make sure the person you have is an enemy. Surgery like advanced brainwashing is fine, it simply needs one of the steps to require the super-limited resource.

Goon has this. It’s a cloner upgrade with a 20% chance to fail.

Do you know those cell food compartments? To put food and drinks without having to open cells? Now that is an insanely good way to sneak in some bread containing emag into your comrades cell, great idea from you.