Add Moth simple names to Sage's Naming guideline

Thread has been cleaned of posts using this as a platform to complain about naming policy as a whole, or branching from those off topic posts.

Keep the thread about moths and the suggested convention, and keep your issues with the broader policy out of the thread.

Naming policy is never going away on Sage

That out of the way, I like this guideline and it fits the criteria I had previously requested - thank you for spending the time plotting it out.

You heard him lads. Foot is in the door, help me forge a guideline that satisfies both staff and those who wish to use it.

Light based thematic such as my own and;
treasured possession typically made of fibrous material (or just the material)

Those are the ideas i’m currently floating but may require narrowing.
Additions to the example list of names would be welcome as well as discussion of such list.

1 Like

god, just add this for clarity since there are like 50 moths named acco and can’t tell who

also would be cool to see ic racism where a Latin name moth would show negativity to a “noun” name moth

2 Likes

Do mine: Nutella also post is 20 characters long

Ill be 100% honest, we probably won’t be able to get brand names or the likes through a filter.
If it were changed to chocolate or cocoa you might have a chance then.

Also, I say just leave the random name generator as is and just use a wiki list or something if people want to use/make up their own simple name using examples from that (or have a link pointed to this in archive).

Got a slightly longer list.
Still on the idea of Light themed words and possessions a moth might hold in high regard.

Things that are/produce light (preferably nouns altho some adjectives and verbs could still work)
Edit: Themes of the lack of light may be possible too if you want a moodier sounding name

Many a word that starts with “Sun”. May be an issue if everyone that voted chooses such but should still be fine
Lightning
Luminous
Candle(stick)
Torch
Ember
Firework
Lavalamp (might be fine?)
Dawn
Daybreak
Noon
Bulb
Eclipse
one of the 3 kinds of Nova?
Wisp (Suggestion)

Edit: Added a couple named after in game items
Hardhat (Engi main?)
Glowstick
Lantern
Cigar (HOS/Sec?)

Fabric Item examples (please dont add/use articles of clothing that are personal/obscene)
Blanket
Tablecloth
Napkin
Jumper (Pull over/Sweater in the US?)
(Oven)Mitt (Would 100% name a chef moth this)
Cotton
Silk
Linen
Pillow
Jacket
Scarf
Duvet(fun mime name?)/Quilt
Towel
Thread

Couple examples that may fall under moth themed but not covered by above
Dust
Floof/Fluff?
Nectar
maybe even shorter (nickname) versions of scientific names?
Mori
Luna
Edit: Picked out a few more english dubbed moth names that could work
Mint
Chocolate (found one for you play)
Flame
Shark? ok
Flare (moved down)
etc

(for clarity and warning, Juniper may get you Chrono’d or banned sadly, especially if you use their full name)

Updated the list and I’m kinda tapped out for examples, so unless anyone has more to add I guess this is on standby for vetting/feedback. @Ruko and/or any other staff involved in such a process.

Also to note. I chose not to list these examples due to bias but (from personal memory) the “currently” used simple names that were removed from sage are:
Sunburnt (me)
Sandal (@Bebes_kidz)
Lightbulb (Unknown)
Nutella (IPlayforss13 -Golden?) (Unlikely, sorry)
Franky T (Unknown) Will probably cover in human name topic.
(Please inform me if I missed any and ill edit in if not too late)

To refine the guidelines slightly (Open to staff feedback):

Single word that is related closely to the following:

• Light themed things or phenomena

• Possessions a moth might hold in high regard (Typically fabric in nature but not required if it fits)

• English version or nickname of Moth names that could work as stand alone names (secondary priority to the 2 above)

• Nothing obscene, offensive or pop culture/referential (Obviously)

(Bonus points if it doubles up and also relates in some way to the role you typically fill too?)

Sorry to bump but I fear I may have broken the pings due to rampant editing.

Just wish to double check if this is currently under consideration by staff.

1 Like

My moth that I have been playing for my entire time on ss13 is named Horatio Mortland and I have not yet been bwoinked over the name. So I guess you can have a normal name if you…?

Judging from recent bans, its more a matter of time before you are singled out next.

I do still wish that any race could choose a human name, or more specifically, have one chosen for them. There is precedent for it happening in the real world, it wouldn’t surprise me it if happened in the far future too, doubly so for alien species.
Its something I plan on appealing as well but 1 step at a time for now, I cant even promise that this one will get through.

1 Like

I think everybody was into this idea, can we have this now?

No. Also I like Moths having regulated names. Albeit there should be more leeway . They should still be somewhat connected to the whole moth theme though.

it’s not really removing the policy just changing it a little, i think it’s suitable and could open up some interesting dynamics between a simple name and latin name moth

1 Like

Moths eat shoes and clothes, let moths have simple one word clothes names from moth planet. I was asking for the other naming policy, what are you talking about?

I think you should give the first post of this a read - the thread title is misleading a bit.

The suggestion is not to allow moths to have human names, its to expand upon the naming policy to include an additional, seperate convention:

So you could have a moth names such as Sandal or Scarf.

I can workshop the title a little (if able) Done

Also the full simple name guideline will likely be this if approved.

One word…

Some names may fit both however either alone should be acceptable… Hopefully

Also…
Please read the posts before trying to make straw-man arguments again, its becoming irritating at this point.

28_days_later

SMH. I was supposed to have devastated the server 8 days ago with this.

On a slightly more serious note…
Sorry for being so pushy but I’m starting to get a little frustrated and upset… No staff that would have a say (even a minor one) in such a change has weighed in on the issue publicly… (I do however, still appreciate those who voted in the poll).

No follow up has been asked of me… no conversation about limitations or… even input on if the list I provided or the terms I set are even viable… It feels like it hasn’t even been acknowledged yet… outside of Ruko pointing out the policy to a confused user.

I’ve been back on Sage since I made this appeal… I started playing under a new Borg name and recently pAI. I’ve made and built on backstories, I’ve made friends and set up further development for the future as well as linking my characters in a in viable and canonical way (as I had ideas about such and found the concept interesting and open ended)
I’ve done everything I can to improve myself and those I interact with since returning… and in return… I get nothing but silence…

But… back on topic… The month long silence that is holding my character over a knife edge is starting to make me anxious and upset… making me question if I should even bother playing and putting effort into the game, my characters and making up more backstory for something that’s just going to get slapped down after no discussion…

I just want Sunny back… or at the very least… closure… and… I’m sorry for venting like this… I think I needed it…
Ill probably be offline for a while. Just ping on discord if you need me.

2 Likes

Moths should be allowed to have human names since a xeno abandoning their culture and trying to act like a human makes sense in the lore.

1 Like

moths arent a distinct culture, they’re a human creation in what little lore they have

1 Like

since we’re using nsv lore as a backstory

here you’ll find the (good) moth lore