Accurately Named Naming Guidelines (who would have guessed)

The is a reason why we have judges and juries in law. It’s something that online moderation is missing.

You’re never gonna have that here. There used to be a player council but it was shit, but that’s not surprising when it involved such excellent people as Velvet, Wilchen, MaggotGuy, et al.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by this. I’m referring to what little lore Bee has codified and enforces, which is pretty much exclusively limited to species-related lore. I am no longer in the lore channel though so I can’t really say what else is or has been brewing.

Bee has codified lore for species and it’s all they enforce as far as strict lore goes to my knowledge. Expecting characters to be made with respect to that lore when it is in the rules is a totally reasonable request to me.

Aye, I agree with this. Disagreements and following discussions can be productive when they’re done correctly. This thread was not started correctly - It was started as someone trying to play word lawyer to justify their suggestion. I poked fun at that. The thread at start also advocated for only banning meme names - I also disagree with that.

Since the thread has actually become a proper and serious discussion now though, here is about the most detailed I can be with my stance on names:

I think any names that aren’t backed with either lore or backstory should be disallowed.

The problem with this is that currently rules do not allow exceptions for backstory-driven names and there is no clean way to enable that. The only solutions for this I can think of are character bios, which I support and have been shot down or whitelisting which I support and has been shot down more times than I can even count. Also whitelisting would put a substantial extra strain on staff. Think the effort it takes to keep substantial griefers out, but frontloading that instead.

This leaves me with only being able to support names that follow what little lore there is established on Bee because there’s no fair way to allow special exceptions and make it obvious they are special exceptions.

You know what, nevermind. Viva la resistance.

12 Likes

It got deleted apparently. Common core TG baybee
https://wiki.beestation13.com/view/Backstory

Who’s gonna be next, ya’ll?

Your’s truly, and Floria.

No, not even staff themselves are safe from the fucking hellscape that is Naming “Guidelines”.

Mind you, these names that are getting banned are (mostly) only getting banned because some joe schmoe decided to flood player reports, and not because an admin saw the names in game and was like: “Hey! These names don’t follow our ‘‘guidelines’’ to the letter!!”

9 Likes

No, it just requires a proper application and proof of creative writing to enter now.

5 Likes

all of the lore inside it was wiped clean I believe, so it was technically deleted. I have opinions about locking the ability to view our lore behind writing your own but i’m hoping that it’s gonna address itself in future once #lore shits out something worth preserving.

1 Like

A “lore-friendly” name does not a good roleplayer make.

Just because you might name an IPC “SM-SS-412 ‘Gumshoe’” does not mean that you can’t develop said IPC into a character with depth.

In addition most of the people who get their names shot down are actually making an attempt to roleplay (see Truthbringer, SM-SS-412 ‘Gumshoe’ [yes I know that’s me but I try to roleplay], Cordswitch Bos) whereas most people with names that don’t necessarily conform entirely to the rules get mostly ignored (see Iunno some random people who come in and tide and then vanish).

TL;DR Roleplaying isn’t exclusive to having a cookie-cutter name, and most people with “unusual” names are, in fact, roleplaying more than some other people.

1 Like

Ah, I was saying that TG made the lore, and I thought you were saying that they were cracking down on names lately.

One of us, one of us

7 Likes

5 Likes

I think I should just say that what many players that have to do deal with the godly guidelines on this server.
PLAY SOMEWHERE ELSE

I don’t mean that as like some insult or anything but since these rules are enforced the way they are and they are likely to not change any time soon, you are better off.

Don’t be surprise to see a lot of Ex-Bee folk on other servers too. A lot of people get tired of having to change their name because admin decided that day that your name wasn’t good enough.

7 Likes

unrelated but it’s nice to see lore being taken up and hopefully made unquie in the future.
(I guess Forgets’ lore is breaking bee lore now that the section that allowed for lizards to be in command is gone :pensive:)

PLAY SOMEWHERE ELSE

I personally don’t believe that because of the (in my personal opinion) wrong way that staff apply the “guidelines” or “rules” …whatever they are atp… that I should make the choice to play somewhere else, like yeah it’s the right thing to do from my stance “don’t like it just leave” however it is those who have taken the responsibility of staff to ensure their community is satisfied with the work they’re doing yknow? im probs just chatting out my ass

Nah, that’s how I feel too. I do NOT like how these “guildelines” are being done. That being said players are better off playing on servers that don’t place strict rules on minor things like this.

Beestation has a very specific way that they want people to roleplay on their server which tends to be devloped but not too devloped that your character changes. It’s more expected for people to play random mode on honestly.

Other servers don’t care about this.

3 Likes

If you think lower ranked staff are enforcing the rules incorrectly, report them to higher staff. If they’re in the wrong it will be addressed.

If you don’t like how strict Bee rules are in the first place… that’s not on staff to change the whole server to suit you. That’s on the players who dislike it to leave.

There is room for change and improvement, as always, but at its core nobody should come to an established server expecting it to change to suit their desires.

2 Likes

Of course, and I understand that the world doesn’t revolve around me however I do believe that we all can agree that the staff have some sort of duty or responsibility to keep their community happy.

I think you’d be hardpressed to find someone who comes to an established server expecting change to them, however from my own pov I find that the staff in this server enforce in a sort of wrong manner or intent? My English isn’t good enough to explain this properly my apologies, I don’t mean anything of here with ill intent

I think the correct intent is there, at least most of the time:

1. The intent of enforcing the rules in the strict way that they are is to be fair and equal.

2. The intent of the rules existing is to maintain a theoretically high level of immersion in the universe - moths are named according to moth culture, IPCs are named like machines, etc. etc.

The issues that arise do so from the fact that the rules also stifle creativity somewhat in their efforts to prevent lazy characters. Being fair and equal means exceptions are extremely difficult to justify in a way that is acceptable to anyone being told their name needs to change.

Look at almost every public discourse on when a name is called upon to be changed - the first thing many folks turn to is “But why isn’t X getting in trouble for their name, it’s also bad!”. If you’re making exceptions, this magnifies many times over. Just look at @Kelpo and their reports for some pretty relevant examples of this. If you go after one, you have to go after them all.

This falls back to something I said in an earlier post as well:

The options for compromise are limited and the current atmosphere allows no room for compromise without also enabling a total degradation of what little species-based culture there is.

I support keeping the strict guidelines over the total degradation because I don’t think the stifled creativity is anywhere near as extreme as it’s made out to be. I only have two examples of people being told to change that I know had high quality characters and brought a lot to the server. Both could very easily maintain their identity with only slight tweaks to how the name is presented.

1 Like

Yeah I think it’s completely unfair that some people are forced to change their name, while others who are much worse offenders are able to walk free.

3 Likes

the whole “lore and backstory” idea is fucking great and would be fantastic if only admins didn’t come to you on naming guidelines with “sorry not allowed, got another name?” because wow, if they asked me to explain what the hell the significance of the name was instead, that sure would be a nice conversation that lets me voice and develop whatever roleplay story i’ve got going on so far.

i don’t think it’s about roleplay, because again, most of the targets of this who have their appeals shot down are the heavier roleplays on bee. i’m told every time i talk about it that “but the lore!” is the excuse but where the fuck is the lore. the enforcement of these rules are also entirely subjective because you can go forever with your name being in the clear until that 1 admin decides they have a problem with you, and suddenly every staff member you’ve interacted with flips to their side.

thankfully recently enough people have seen truthbringer around because truthbringer does good roleplay that this is starting to flip but honestly i think they’re just going to wait out the drama and keep the rules as-is.

6 Likes

Yeah listen, you know the stance on naming it too strict when playing an IPC character who I initially created for a server that required a whitelist to play IPC results in me getting bwoinked by Tamus starting with: “I don’t want to be that guy”

If admins have to start their bwoinks against people roleplaying, with largely lore-friendly names(My naming break was too many characters for the ID number in IPC names) like that, the approach staff have to take on naming might not be in the best position. I might also be reading too much into it, but the admin’s tone when approaching me makes me feel like even some staff think these hard-line positions are a bit much when names aren’t meme-y and the player behind the character is roleplaying.

1 Like