A Whitelist for MRP thread

Uhhhhhh.

How is turning away new players a good thing dude. New players are just as likely to roleplay as old ones, and new players are rarely going to try and graytide first round.

1 Like

I know that the whitelist will most likely hurt the pop, but the extra pop we get from letting everyone in are just people looking for LRP.

In fact I think people looking for MRP would easily decide to join this one, a whitelist isn’t all that much of a deterrent for people who are tired of LRP. I’m fine with new players, but we all know that most of them haven’t read the rules. All this does is confirm that they’ve read the rules first, and besides, it’s better for new players to play on LRP before moving up to MRP.

You can try to Ahelp it, but I’m sure it won’t work. We don’t have clear, set in stone rules for what kind of MRP we expect on the server, which makes it all a big grey area when you get banning involved. And besides that, I’ve always firmly believed that just wishing people would be better will never work, because from all examples I’ve seen, it doesn’t.

2 Likes

Thumbs down on a whitelist for all the obvious reasons - it would severely limit server population whilst doing nothing to actually increase roleplay.

Instead:

• More examples are needed for ‘Rule 3. You Must Roleplay’ both negative and positive examples. A page of council rulings for what is acceptable behaviour should help push people to actually ahelp when the roleplay rules are flagrantly broken. Just a few lines outlining under what circumstances breaking into somewhere might be allowed under would help enormously for example, instead of people complaining about it in OOC yet never reporting.
  • Ahelp more. Roleplay is of high importance, so if you say you want it yet and the same time say you see loads of LRP behaviour then why aren’t you reporting it? And if there’s no admins on then make a player report.

To counter this I want to bring up another MRP server which I will not name due to the disgusting nature of it(and honestly I really hate that I have to use this as an example) that despite having the same lock off rule gets fifty players and quiet recently had 100 player
Despite my personal feelings about this server. It shows that you can have a whitelist and still get a good player count

I find it funny how server population is such a high priority for people when the increased population isn’t even people who are there to MRP, just LRP in a vaguely sneaky manner or cause the server to be a constant non-MRP setting.

Especially when half the admins that “admin” MRP don’t know what MRP even means.

3 Likes

Well, yes, more examples for rule 3 would definitely help. That’s a definite, good idea.

However the Ahelp more point simply won’t happen, you can’t just tell the playerbase as a whole to “Ahelp More” and expect it to happen. I’ve seen it happen before, just telling a group to “Do something more” just doesn’t work, regardless of context.

I did think of another thing that would definitely help though; Making the MRP server obviously not the LRP server to anyone that joins. We think a few people just click beestation regardless of what server it is, maybe changing some things to make it look different would help as well. Although, a whitelist would definitely fix the issue altogether.

3 Likes

Honestly I enjoyed MRP when our high pop times were 20 I could do xenobio for four hours and occasionally have someone be extremely nice and ask me for stuff instead of breaking in
If the population drops I can guarantee that It would only be a positive since most of the people who would leave would be people who only wanted LRP anyways

3 Likes

Thank you for understanding. Most of the work the Admins do are behind the scenes, and it may look like we aren’t doing anything. It’s become more of a meme at this point to be the only Admin online at highpop times as you’ll be beating shitters with hammers in nearly every second you Admin. It isn’t uncommon to deal with 6 tickets at any given time when pop goes above 90 on LRP.

On MRP though? There’s a surprisingly low amount of resolved tickets, even when you consider the difference in population. This either stems from:

A- People obeying the rules more

B- Admins not doing their jobs

C- Players not ahelping anything

A is obviously not the case as this thread exists in the first place.
If B is true, make an Admin Report about the Admin in question for ignoring rulebreakers.
If C is true, which seems to be the case, it falls on you to ahelp the greytiding that you see.

What I’ve witnessed from my time here is that people wait until the end screen to see if the rule-breaker was an antagonist, which doesn’t make any sense as it doesn’t give enough time for the Admin to react. If you see something questionable, ahelp it right after you see it. It’s free.

And to be honest, it is disheartening to see the players bitching about Admins without giving any specific attributes that we can improve on. We’re all volunteers and spend a great deal of time trying to regulate the server for the better.

Now, about the whitelist. My personal view is that it is unneeded and goes against the very nature of our server of being newbie-friendly. Even if we DID implement it, the influx of greytiders would barely change as the people who go on Sage as a 2nd LRP would have the braincells to do a 2 second whitelist application. It’s a very ineffective “solution” to the problem at hand.

1 Like

Kind of have to agree with xlyana. A whitelist doesn’t really seem like a solution. Lets just spam the ahelp button when something questionable happens.

or you know, be robust
or play sec AND be robust

I remember with glee how the first thing I saw on MRP was CE tossing his advanced magboots and blueprints into the SM because they saw someone doing it already and that an admin didn’t do anything when they did it a previous time.

This is pretty much both players not ahelping what they see to make sure it is okay, and admins deciding to play based off ahelps instead of actually looking around.

The few times I’ve adminned on MRP (probably like, 4 or 5?), I ended up starting the tickets because I found people powergaming and doing shit by themselves rather than “AHELP LOOBRICANT BOB SLAPPED MY ASS AND CALLED ME ‘FAG’ IN MRP??”.

tl;dr ahelp shit you see and admins gotta start lookin’ for powergaming themselves a bit more.

2 Likes

But I came into MRP to make spessman vertical in peace.

Also yeah I probably should be ahelping instances of greytiding on the spot. Can’t quite put my finger on why I didn’t use to.

Also at what point does “wanting to be prepared” cross over into powergaming?

Like say for example I’m the only medical doctor and I’ve loaded myself with bottles of atropine, Pentetic, salbut, and some syringes so I can stabilize patients on the spot. Could that be considered powergaming?

nah, but if like

you go the full HEH SELF DEFENSE and get like
syringe gun with chlorine hydrate or some lethal shit so if SOMEONE decides to shove you, you OD them and kill them on that?
Or get a stun baton “JUST IN CASE”
or a disabler/riot shotgun “JUST IN CASE”

you get it.

If it’s okay for your role to have such thing and it’s not some “jokes on you now you die” shit.

2 Likes

Certain head roles have disablers / eguns. Are they allowed to keep them with them or would that be power gaming?

You might want to make a list of what would be powergaming :^)

Yeah no I only make toxins if the CMO says something like “ay yo shit’s dangerous get yourself some self-defense stuff”

at that point I’m just following orders.

They spawn with them.

By that argument, then CentCom officers shouldn’t have guns when they go on station.

Heads have those as self defense.
Security needs disablers because obvious reasons.

Now if, say, CE decides that self defense is having a riot shotgun and 4 boxes of lethals, then that’s powergamin’.

If ya need to be told that heads having disablers and normal batons is powergaming, you’re in a bad spot my dood.

2 Likes

Nah, in that case it’s fine

Say it’s revs and CMO knows and locks down medbay and tells ya to arm up? Sure, get some knockout/crit chems and be VERY careful with how ya use them.

Nuke ops? Sure, arm lethal chems.

Xenos? Get CLF3 going.

“Hey we may have some traitors” so you arm up on chloral hydrate and get ready to kill anyone who stares at you for 4 seconds? that’s bad.

It’s mostly common sense y’know.

1 Like

I’m sorry if it came off as me insulting admins I wasn’t meaning it like that
Honestly most of the times I do ahelp it gets handled extremely quickly I was more trying to help find a solution that didn’t involve increasing the workload for the admins and didn’t mean anything negative from it

1 Like

Is a guy spamming “FEET FEET FEET FEET” on VOX as the AI ahelp worthy?
I do not know if it breaks the rules, but it sure as hell isn’t MRP.

As for the original issue, I do agree to a Whitelist. If only to slow down the migration of LRPers. What prevents a Greytider McShit from switching servers when he gets robusted for trying to steal the fire axe and dying on the spot? He will just switch to MRP and do it again.

I have been playing mostly Atmospherics and Engineer this week and, at low pop, no one touches the fire axe even on those 6 hour long rounds.
At high pop? I walk to the bar to get a christmas present, come back, and what a surprise! The axe is gone.

Bruh, spamming VOX is ahelp worthy, even on LRP.